Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > The World of Lubavitch

Unread 06-22-2004, 07:58 PM   #1
BaisHamikdashBa
Gold Member

Rebbe (3 tammuz) Articles

where did you see rebbe articles besides for chabad publications and web sites?

1. arut sheva
2. ou.org

I got my iPod! (B"h)
BaisHamikdashBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 08:03 PM   #2
LION
Diamond Member

See here: 3 Tammuz In the Media
Unread 07-12-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
bochur770
Executive Member

even boteach wrote an article:

Oh Rebbe, my rebbe
Face to Face with the Jewish Conscience

'Dead, dead, dead, yet still he speaketh!" were the immortal words used to eulogize Abraham Lincoln as his funeral cortege passed through Brooklyn, N.Y., on the way to his final resting place in Illinois. How appropriate that this was spoken in the same neighborhood where the Lubavitcher Rebbe electrified the world for more than half a century and breathed new life into a declining nation.

Ten years after his death, still he speaks to me. I see my rebbe in my dreams, his face white and commanding. When I dream of him, which is surprisingly often, I awake in the morning searching my conscience. His image brings foreboding rather than bliss.

Have I failed him? If he were still alive today, would I have made different choices?

When I served as his personal emissary at the University of Oxford for all those years, he gave me the nickname Butch. One of the great honors of my life was the day he told one of our supporters that I was his man in Oxford and that "by helping Rabbi Boteach you assist the scores of people who are under his influence."

Now, 10 years later and having moved on from Oxford to focus on broadcasting, writing, and lecturing, would he still have referred to me so endearingly?

The Rebbe will always be my teacher, but I am unsure that I will always be worthy of being his disciple. In my own work I have sought to bring change through ideas by debating, promoting, publishing, and preaching. But while the Rebbe was a world-class intellectual, he was emphatic that it was activity rather than academics that leaves the most lasting impression.

A great speech could take people to the mountaintop. But it was catering to their religious needs where they lived – in the valleys – that would best ensure the survival of Judaism.
But after more than a decade of inviting students to Sabbath dinners and organizing student activities I wanted to play on a grander stage. My dream of becoming a recognized exponent of Jewish ideas beckoned and I felt it was in conflict with the responsibility of hammering mezuzot up on students' dorm rooms.

Was this a measure of my development, or my selfishness?

Today when I am invited to lecture to Jewish communities around the world, I sit in envy as I hear stories from locals about the changes a Chabad emissary has brought to their lives by koshering a kitchen or by teaching one of their daughters bat mitzva lessons. And I am nostalgic for the life I once had.

Now I give them a lecture for two hours and they flatter me by coming in their hundreds. But they never invite me into their lives since they know that I do not care for them the way the local Chabad emissary does. I am only a visitor, while he or she lives among them.

I am an avid reader of the great modern Jewish minds like Samson Raphael Hirsch, Joseph Soloveitchik, and Yeshayahu Leibowitz. Their bold ideas fire my imagination. But only the Rebbe continues to blow my mind.

When I travel to remote corners of Austria where I did not even know Jews exist and discover a Chabad House with a day school, the magnitude of the Rebbe's achievement hits me like a lighting bolt and it is then that I remember Judaism's emphasis on deed over ideas.

It always bothered me that the Rebbe was seen as a Jewish rather than a world phenomenon. Even the United States does not have as many embassies around the world as does Lubavitch. So when he celebrated his 90th birthday and a debate erupted as to how the milestone should be commemorated, I argued that a campaign be launched to have him win the Nobel Peace Prize like Mother Theresa and the Dalai Lama.

Lee Iacocca had become a household name for rescuing Chrysler. Why not the Rebbe, who had rescued the world's oldest religion?
But the scene at his funeral two years later provided proof of unsurpassed greatness and a nature impervious to ego gratification. His body was brought out in a simple pine coffin as 50,000 stunned mourners wailed. Other than that there was silence since he had ordered no eulogies.
Ronald Reagan, a worthy man, died and his funeral lasted a week. The Rebbe died, and his funeral lasted but a few minutes.

Some enter the world and receive the adulation of men. Others leave the world having served man and are acknowledged only by God.

AND AT that moment I understood how free he had always been. I, who live my life largely imprisoned to a fragile ego and the need for recognition, was standing in the presence of a man who had lived a life doing right solely because it was right. It was enough that God knew.

And as they lowered his body into the earth, what flashed in my mind was the Bible's final chapter, where Moses ascends his mountain sepulcher silent and alone, with none to mourn or grieve. He had done his duty before God and man and then, like silent footsteps in the night, he was gone.
It was this heroic act of departure without fanfare that earned Moses the declaration "And there never arose a prophet like Moses."

And still he haunts me. When the divorced single mother calls wishing for me to meet with her rebellious, drug-taking son and I am too busy with other work, I see him standing on his 90-year-old feet, flashing a warm smile at the thousands who came in single file, every Sunday, for a blessing. I see his 50 years of 18-hour days, without even a day for vacation.

I see him awake through the night, receiving the broken-hearted in private audience with their problems, and among their faces I see my own, as a young 13-year-old, granted a meeting at 3 a.m. with the most influential rabbi in the world, to discuss the pain of my parents' divorce.

And it is then I am reminded of his central teaching: Never underestimate the power of a single good deed to redeem the world.

So you meet with the rebellious teenager, because that rebellious teenager was once you. And had the Rebbe not met with me, where would I be today?
Unread 07-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Mordechai

thats a beutiful article?
i heard he's "coming back" does anybody know if that is true?
(notice thw qoutes on coming back for all the wise guys.)
Unread 07-15-2007, 12:39 AM   #5
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Try http://livefromthehilltop.blogspot.com, it's an amazing article.

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote