Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > The Rabbeim & Gedolei Yisroel

Unread 10-28-2003, 08:00 AM   #1
Jude
Executive Platinum Member

the Kapishnitzer Rebbe

A shidduch was suggested to R Zalman Gurary in 5699 (1939) with Rebbetzin Chava, the daughter of the Kapishnitzer Rebbe ztl. The Rebbe Rayatz was in a resort near Riga at the time and the Kapishnitzer Rebbe went to visit him with his daughter. The Admor asked the Rebbe whether R Zalman was a talmid chacham.

The Rebbe answered: By us, a talmid chacham is something different, but in the simple understanding of the term, he is a talmid chacham.

The Admor asked whether R Zalman was a yirei shomayim and the Rebbe said: I hold of his yiras shomayim.

The Rebbe Rayatz, who was favorably impressed by the Admors daughter, wrote to the Rebbetzin that it was apparent on her face that she was from a family of Admorim, and he spoke highly of her. The Kapishnitzer Rebbe, who was on his way to America, left his daughter in Riga and the Rebbe instructed his Chassidim to take care of her.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2003, 08:01 AM   #2
Jude

When the Rebbe Rayatz founded yeshivas Tomchei Tmimim in America, he appointed R S.Z. Gurary as a teacher in the yeshiva, and told him to move to live near the yeshiva. Before Pesach the Rebbe told him: Since I told you to leave your father-in-laws house its my responsibility, but you should go to your father-in-law for Pesach. If you think you cant eat there on Pesach, Im telling you that if Id be there, Id eat there!

R Gurary continued to stand and think about it and the Rebbe said: If you think I dont know, and you know more than me, Ill tell you again if Id be there, Id eat!
Unread 10-28-2003, 08:07 AM   #3
Jude

In 5718 (1958) the Rebbe was menachem avel the Kapishnitzer Rebbe when he sat shiva for his brother. On this occasion, the Rebbe said that Jews ought to be rich. The Kapishnitzer Rebbe disagreed since he was afraid of the trial of riches. In the end, the Rebbe managed to get him to agree that his son-in-law, R Gurary, be rich.
Unread 10-28-2003, 08:40 AM   #4
rebayzl
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jude
In 5718 (1958) the Rebbe was menachem avel the Kapishnitzer Rebbe when he sat shiva for his brother. On this occasion, the Rebbe said that Jews ought to be rich. The Kapishnitzer Rebbe disagreed since he was afraid of the trial of riches. In the end, the Rebbe managed to get him to agree that his son-in-law, R Gurary, be rich.
What about all the rest of us?!
rebayzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2003, 08:42 AM   #5
Jude

on Parshas Teruma 5752 the Rebbe says (it's in Sefer Ha'Sichos vol. 2 p. 390) a Jew must make efforts to be rich, first in spiritual wealth - in Torah and mitzvos, and also in material wealth, so that he can fulfill Torah and mitzvos with peace of mind and body, and can give lots of tzedaka and fulfill mitzvos in a beautiful manner, and use the wealth to make his home a sanctuary for Hashem.

Let's do it!
Unread 10-28-2003, 08:47 AM   #6
rebayzl
Senior Diamond Member

So it took from 5718 to 5752!
rebayzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2004, 05:56 PM   #7
bochur770
Executive Member

in continuation of the first post:

when the kapichnitzer left the FR room, the FR said "BH he didn't ask me if he is normal"
Unread 06-19-2004, 10:57 PM   #8
mendelp
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bochur770

when the kapichnitzer left the FR room, the FR said "BH he didn't ask me if he is normal"
Source???
mendelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2004, 05:42 AM   #9
bochur770
Executive Member

mendelp,

do u really expect a printed source for that?

i did not say my own torahs, i heard it from a reliable source, and when i asked him for a source (after you demanded one) he laughed and said, "this is not something that is going to be printed anywhere, i heard it from a few reliable people"
Unread 06-20-2004, 07:16 AM   #10
Groisah Tzaddik

bochurleh, for you it might be reliable because you know who you heard it from so you can rely on it without a source but mendeleh doesnt know you doesnt know your source so at least give hima break that he wants to have an idea of how reliable this ANONYMOUS posting is.
Groisah Tzaddik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2004, 11:24 AM   #11
mendelp
Silver Member

Let me put is this way. I highly doubt that the FR would make such a statement about anybody.
mendelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2004, 12:01 PM   #12
bochur770
Executive Member

groisha (& mendel)

i am sorry if i sounded harsh, i did not mean to.

mendel,

have you ever learn sefer hasichos & likutei diburim of the FR? or even stronger language you can also learn sefer hasichos o the Rebbe Rashab.
Unread 06-23-2004, 06:03 PM   #13
Chossid

"Yitamu Chatoim v'Loi Choitim". The Rebbeim looked at every Yid in a revealed way that he is a Ben Yochid of Hashem. It's apsurd to say that any of the Rebbeim "stam" -used strong language directly at another Yid. Even with satmar, the Rebbe asked those involved in the crimes to do Teshuva.
Chossid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2004, 07:18 PM   #14
iamachassid
Diamond Member

I understood the comment not to be as much about R' Gurary but about the interrogation.
Unread 02-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
ChilinInCali
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
You got the story mixed up a bit. RZG was in the room with his shver, the kapishnitzer. The Rebbe held that yiden should be rich, and the kapishnitzer said that it is not a good thing for them to have the nisayon of ashirus. The Rebbe pointed to RZG and asked don't you think that he should have ashirus, and the kapinishnitzer disagreed. The end was that the kapishnitzer resigned the argument, but finished off 'nit by maine kinder, while pointing to RZG.

Heard from Rabbi IMG, and mendel drizin who was in the room at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochur770 View Post

you're mixing up two people. vdal.
ChilinInCali is offline   Reply With Quote