Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > General > Book Reviews

Unread 04-01-2003, 12:19 PM   #1
Press

Judaism for Everyone by Boteach

did anybody ever read it? is it ok?
Press is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2003, 09:04 AM   #2
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

Definitely not - he advocates non-Jews incorporating Mitzvos into their lives, which is not permitted.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2003, 10:01 AM   #3
jjbennoach

Quote:
Originally posted by Bittul
Definitely not - he advocates non-Jews incorporating Mitzvos into their lives, which is not permitted.
I'm no fan of R. Boteach, but it depends on which mitzvos he's talking about!

from
http://www.moshiach.com/action/morality/seven_laws.php

"9. Although the Children of Noah are commanded only concerning the Seven Universal Commandments, they are permitted to observe any of the 613 Commandments of the Torah for the sake of receiving divine reward.[7] The exceptions to this are:[8]

a. Observing the Sabbath in the manner of the Jews (resting from the actions that were needed for the building of the Tabernacle during the Exodus from Egypt)

b. Observing the Jewish holy days in the manner of the Jews (resting in a similar manner to the Sabbath)

c. Studying those parts of the Torah that do not apply to the Noahides’ service of God

d. Writing a Torah scroll (the Five Books of Moses) or receiving an aliyah to the Torah (reading a portion of the Torah at a public gathering)

e. Making, writing, or wearing tefilin, the phylacteries worn during prayer that contain portions of the Torah

f. Writing or affixing a mezuzah, the parchment contain_ing portions of the Torah, to one's doorposts or gateposts

(Note: A prime purpose of the Seven Universal Laws is to teach the Children of Noah about the Oneness of God, and therefore those parts of Torah that pertain to this knowledge are permissible for him to study. This includes the entirety of the twenty‑four books of the Hebrew Scriptures. Also, the study of any part of the Torah that brings one to greater knowledge concerning the performance of the Seven Noahide Command_ments is permissible. But Talmudic or Halakhic study of subjects that pertain exclusively to the Jew's service of God is forbidden. The Noahide who studies portions of the Torah that do not pertain to him damages his soul.[9])

10. If a Noahide is striving in the learning of Torah or keeping the Sabbath in the manner of Jews or reveals new aspects of Torah, he may be physically restrained and informed that he is liable for capital punishment, but is not put to death.

(Note: The action taken against him is only meant to dissuade him from doing forbidden acts. If the court that is established in consonance with the Seven Universal Laws gives the death penalty to a Noahide, the execution is an atonement for this person's transgression, and consequently one who transgresses and is punished by the court can merit a portion in the World to Come.[10] Furthermore, the Noahide must experience reincarnation to be able to atone for transgressions he had done.)

11. The responsibility of The Seven Noahide Laws is a yoke of faith in God. This means that the laws must be observed solely because God commanded them. If the Children of Noah observe these Seven Universal Laws for any reason or intention other than to fulfill God's will, the performance is invalid and no divine reward is received. This means that if one of the Children of Noah says, "These laws seem sensible and beneficial, therefore I will observe them," his actions accomplish nothing and he receives no reward.[11]"
jjbennoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2003, 09:21 PM   #4
Dr. Yisroel
Executive Member

I know another person in history who advocated "Judaism for Everyone" his name was Yushke! lihavdil.

I read the book and I think simillar to his other books (which were after he become....) the message is generally good, the style it is written in and the packaging is wrong.

I learned some valuable things from it.

Though, I would suggest Rabbi Benjamin Blech's "Understanding Judaism" or "The Complete Idiots Guide to Understanding Judaism" - it is a simillar read, better message and much more potent.
Unread 08-28-2003, 08:16 PM   #5
marble

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Yisroel
I know another person in history who advocated "Judaism for Everyone" his name was Yushke! lihavdil.

I read the book and I think simillar to his other books (which were after he become....) the message is generally good, the style it is written in and the packaging is wrong.

I learned some valuable things from it.

Though, I would suggest Rabbi Benjamin Blech's "Understanding Judaism" or "The Complete Idiots Guide to Understanding Judaism" - it is a simillar read, better message and much more potent.

So you are comparing Boteach to Yoshkeh?
I browsed through the book and found nothing offensive to Torah. Did you?
marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2003, 02:43 PM   #6
jjbennoach

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Yisroel
I know another person in history who advocated "Judaism for Everyone" his name was Yushke! lihavdil...
Though, I would suggest Rabbi Benjamin Blech's "Understanding Judaism" ...
It should be pointed out that there is no hint that yoshke himself advocated Judaism for non-Jews. He compared goyim to dogs! It was a generation after his death before non-Jews were included in full-fledged outreach, and there is a tradition that the g'dolim of the time instigated the complete separate religion (of x...inanity) so Jews wouldn't be fooled!

No better introduction to Judasim exists in English than UNDERSTANDING JUDAISM. R. Blech is in Texas this very weekend, I believe, meeting and speaking with a large number of b'nai Noach. Would his giving advice to the b'nai Noach movement meet with Lubavitch approval?

Kesivah v'chasimah tovah!
Unread 10-17-2003, 11:14 AM   #7
Asher S

I looked at iibennoch's post, and I didn't find something which isn't okay. Is there something there which is not according to Halacha? I think there might be a different reason whiy his books (and some other people's too . . ) are not "acceptable".
Asher S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2003, 11:49 PM   #8
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jjbennoach
R. Blech is in Texas this very weekend, I believe, meeting and speaking with a large number of b'nai Noach. Would his giving advice to the b'nai Noach movement meet with Lubavitch approval?
Definitely!

and check out this excerpt from R' Boteach's book

Last edited by noahidelaws; 12-08-2003 at 02:40 PM.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2005, 03:30 PM   #9
klippatrapper

isnt he , book or both put to cherem?
Unread 02-22-2005, 04:10 PM   #10
jjbennoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by klippatrapper
isnt he , book or both put to cherem?
Boteach is part of a thankfully short list of rabbis and 'knowlegeable' laypeople who seem to write to and for an overwhelmingly xtian audience without ever getting around to the sheva mitzvos b'nai noach. This makes me for one not regard them seriously, and to warn others not to take them seriously. Never heard of a cherem though.

Rabbi Blech (l'havdil) is above reproach in this respect! His chapters on the sheva mitzvos in UNDERSTANDING JUDAISM are wonderful, as well as his comments on the 'ten commandments' misperception.
Unread 02-23-2005, 07:54 AM   #11
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

jjbennoach--the custom is that Jews only say lehavdil between Jews and non-Jews, never between Jews and Jews, even if one of the Jews is tremendously wicked--which is certainly not the case here.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote