Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Halachah & Minhagim

Unread 03-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
moshe.gorin

Propriety of anatomy/medical images

Dear All,

Hope all is well! This is probably not the best place to ask this, but I don't have any seforim available right now...

I'm engaged in the study of medicine and in modern medical textbooks there is very little (if any) restraint in what pictures they post of people and body parts. Ranging from very explicit diagrams, to real-life pictures of private organs, both living and otherwise, to pictures of cadavers etc...

I know the Rebbe opposed using cadavers for medical study but beyond that I'm not sure

My feeling is these pictures are not appropriate, but firstly it's very hard to avoid when studying the reproductive system etc.

Thanks so much!! =)
moshe.gorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Disclaimer: This is a question for a Rav.

You need to find a Rav (not just a Rabb, but a proper, poskening Rav) who knows your situation and can answer these types of questions. When, IY"H, you become a doctor you will find there are about a million questions to ask about Hilchos Shabbos that really require an expert. You might as well create the relationship now.

Medical research on cadavers is a seperate issue because there is a requirement to treat a corpse with respect. Textbook pictures is more of a tznius issue, and my understanding is that you should be pretty much fine looking at pictures for the purpose of study.

A stronger question will be when you need to start actually touching female patients (live ones), both for simple check ups (stethescope etc) and for more "hands on" procedures (checking for lumps, etc). Again, my understanding is that you are pretty much fine, but a Rav might give you some parameters for trying to partner with men when possible.

In any event, these are, as I said, halachic questions that require the psak din of a Rav to really be answered properly. I strongly suggest you talk to one at your earliest convenience as you sound like you have a lot of questions.

One final question... are you by chance a kohen?
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Moshele, there are hundreds of professions to chose

another question: what would you do if they call you on Shabbos ?

a goy patient?
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

reminds me of the joke... two mothers talking

One mother smiles and says her son is just starting medical school. The other shrugs and says "Uch, I was hoping my Moshele would do the same, but he wants to stay in yeshiva and become a Rabbi. A Rabbi! What kind of job is that for a nice Jewish boy?"

There are, incidentally, lots of great resources for the answers to chossidnistar's very much legitimate questions. Despite all of the difficulties, the Rabbonim have found a way to make it work.

Its also worth mentioning... not all doctors work with patients. Some work with x-ray slides, tissue samples, or in public health. While shabbos is a big concern in pretty much any profession, doctors do carry a heavy burden. But the opportunity to save lives. help people feel better and preserve darchei shalom are rewards of their own that make it worth the struggle
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chossidnistar View Post
Moshele, there are hundreds of professions to chose
And he's already picked one. Kol hakavod lo.

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote