Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Yiddishkeit

Unread 04-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
zerhacke

Conversion candidate with some questions.

Shalom!

I am a relatively young man with a family in Eastern Ohio. I have dabbled in several religions trying to find one that was right for me for some time now. In my heart, I have always known that the people who got G-d right were the Jewish people. They've done it longest, they've done it best, and they actually communicated directly with G-d, sometimes in His very presence (the burning bush, for example). I've also long questioned the validity of J**** ******'s very existence and have wrestled with him being a charlatan using the prophecy just to get famous.

After reading a tremendous amount of information on the internet and at my local library (if you do nothing else because of this post, consider pressuring the public library of Cambridge, OH into carrying more Judaic literature) I have found that what is right for me is Judaism. And, I knew it all along! Due to my nature, I just had to do things the hard way to cement my belief in these ways.

I am ready to convert. I understand it may be a year long or more undertaking with quite some effort required on my part. I realize I must do great and small things to come into the Jewish lifestyle. Things like not driving in a car to Temple on Friday night come to mind.

In all these things, I am ready and willing for my G-d. I am awaiting a call back from the Rabbi of the closest temple about my conversion.

I have some questions, though, if you as a community would be kind enough to answer them.

I understand I may not drive a car to Temple during the Sabbath. I am disabled and my disability precludes me from driving anyways. I also live about 25 miles from the closest Temple. Is it permissible to not drive, but get a ride from, say, my wife's grandfather to Temple, or is this something you must do under your own power totally? Apologies if this is a simplistic question, but as I outlined above I have yet to even talk to the Rabbi. I just want to begin planning for attendance as soon as possible.

My wife does not wish to convert. She is of pagan faith. Should I attempt to sway her thoughts to Judaism, or should I allow her to make her own choices?

I no doubt will be coming back with more questions. Thank you in advance for your help.
zerhacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
yekkes

I'm really not the best person to be replying...but since no one else has yet, I figured I'd give you the basics.

First, congratulations! Good job on your spiritual search. May we all find the path H'Shem wills for us. B''H!!

Second, you may want to look into the 7 laws of Noah given to the gentiles. See, we don't believe you have to convert to Judaism in order to be a perfectly righteous person. You can follow the 7 laws and be fulfilled. And, B''H, there are even Noachide (name of the people who follow these laws) communities being built up. To be honest, I can't think of the exact web address for any of these organizations...so if someone could help me out, that'd be great!!

Also, is this Rabbi you'll be seeing Orthodox? I cannot stress the importance that if you are serious about this, you need to do it in an Orthodox fashion, otherwise (according to mine and others beliefs on this board) you won't be a Jew! Wouldn't that be awful? If you haven't already, go to chabad.org and use the shul finder to see if there is a Chabad house near you.

The issue with your wife, you'll need to discuss with an competant Orthodox Rabbi (as if there are any incompetant ones...). And about the getting a ride to shul on Shabbos...well...I can't give a good answer. I have no idea. I'd guess that it would not be allowed, but I'm not sure as you're handicapped. I'm still guessing it's forbidden, as driving on Shabbos is considered work. And all work is forbidden on Shabbos. But don't trust me. I have no idea. Also, you'd have to consider that Orthodox Jews don't only go to shul on Shabbos. You'd have to find someone willing to drive you three times a day to fulfill your obligation to pray with a minyan (a group of at least ten Jewish men). You may need to find a house closer to the shul. Or, you may need to move to an entirely different city. If your town doesn't have a kosher grocery, that is also a problem. And if there aren't any other Orthodox Jews around, who are you going to bounce around all of your ideas about Judaism with? Converting is rough, but if you're sincere, it's well worth it.

Well, I probably shouldn't say any more....as I'm just starting to learn about all of this too, but I hope everything goes well for you!

Last edited by yekkes; 04-24-2007 at 10:47 PM. Reason: realized I read the post incorrectly.
yekkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #3
JewishHiphop
Diamond Member

B"H

Hi, here are some good Bnai Noah links imho.

http://www.noahidenations.com/

http://www.bnainoach.com/

http://7for70.com/EN/index.asp
JewishHiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
zerhacke

I have bookmarked those links, JewishHipHop, but it seems to me they are links aimed at non-Jewish peoples living a jewish lifestyle but not actually being Jewish. Correct me if I am wrong. I have not spent a great deal of time on those sites but will on the weekend. Thank you for the links at any rate. More information is always welcomed.

Thank you for your input, Yekkes. As it turns out this Rabbi is Orthodox so I am in luck. I have also went over the laws given to Noah. Turns out I am already living those laws. They're pretty easy to remember, no? I think they are.

The Rabbi of the Synagogue nearest to me just got off the phone with me. He suggested I pick up a copy of Basic Judaism and Jewish Literacy, which I have just ordered. They should be here in about a week. He also wants a meeting with my wife and I. My wife will not be converting, you see, and he wants to lay everything out to not only me but to her as well. We have much to discuss, such as the fate of our child and how the family dynamic would work with one converting and the other not.

I am excited! It's beginning already!
Unread 04-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
King David

Be ready for him to discourage you.
He will try to test if its for real.
King David is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 12:26 AM   #6
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King David View Post
Be ready for him to discourage you.
He will try to test if its for real.
what kind of test
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
yekkes

I think he means the Rabbi will try discouraging him several times. i.e. saying he should just follow the seven laws. Not being receptive...ect.

Also, try reading this blog: gertzadik.blogspot.com He hasn't posted in over a year, but it still gives some good insight into what you'll be experiencing. You are correct that those sites are for non-Jews. If you haven't found these already try chabad.org, askmoses.com, pinenet.com/~rooster/hasid2.html I remember when I started out I searched for hours trying to find anything and everything out. So, I thought if you're really serious it'd be good to have some sites. The last site has a section that gives you links to other good Orthodox sites. Try going to the Torahfax one...it'll send you basic teachings to your inbox every Wednesday. Still, your best resource will be your Rabbi.
Unread 04-28-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekkes View Post
I think he means the Rabbi will try discouraging him several times. i.e. saying he should just follow the seven laws. Not being receptive...ect.

I do not see this as a test. Every non Jew has to follow the seven laws, this is the purpose of their existence
A GER is a new born Katan, that problably means that ssomeone dies
Unread 04-28-2007, 10:04 PM   #9
yekkes

I'm just saying that's probably what he's talking about. Rabbi's often define such opposition as a test.
Unread 04-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #10
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chossidnistar View Post
I do not see this as a test. Every non Jew has to follow the seven laws, this is the purpose of their existence
A GER is a new born Katan, that problably means that ssomeone dies
The point being that it should be enough for someone to follow the seven laws. Why become a Jew? If a potential Ger can't answer that question, its a good indication that he shouldn't become a Jew.

Secondly, why does it follow that someone has to die? That's illogical.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 11:42 PM   #11
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

the Non Jew spiritualy Dies, and the Jew is born
Unread 05-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
zerhacke

I've returned. I picked up a couple of books from Amazon, Rabbi Joseph Telushkin's Jewish Literacy and Rabbi Milton Steinberg's Basic Judaism. I'm a good ways into both books. Quite the read, both of them.

Thank you all for your help!
Unread 06-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #13
davyhopes4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerhacke View Post
Shalom!
WOW!!these are tough questions!I`ll answer from me but i`m not a rabbi so i just do my best!We discovered we are Jewish a while back and so I am knowledgable from the outside looking in!
Quote:
...I understand I may not drive a car to Temple during the Sabbath. I am disabled and my disability precludes me from driving anyways. I also live about 25 miles from the closest Temple. Is it permissible to not drive, but get a ride from, say, my wife's grandfather to Temple, or is this something you must do under your own power totally? Apologies if this is a simplistic question, but as I outlined above I have yet to even talk to the Rabbi. I just want to begin planning for attendance as soon as possible.
As far as i understand,you cannot go to a synagogue on shabbos if you cannot walk there.Buses are out,cars,bikes,carts.My dad was ill and we never accepted an invitation for shabbos because he couldnt walk to the synagogue and therefore would not have been able to attend.So we just prayed at home.I dont know if you know about the difference between Orthodox and Reform etc.?If you want to convert there is only one way to do it properly and that is orthodox.Reform/liberal Judaism is a kind of ******ianity and if you "converted " with them you wouldnt really be Jewish.
Quote:
My wife does not wish to convert. She is of pagan faith. Should I attempt to sway her thoughts to Judaism, or should I allow her to make her own choices?
I think that this is another problem.BUT PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT!If you convert othodox ,I think it is then going to be a problem that your wife is not jewish,this is because "marrying out" is forbidden.
davyhopes4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
Grosskopf

And what about a 18 years old which have a father who is a jew e a goya mother?

There are many references contradicting that a kid can be a jew either if his mother isnt jewish.What do you think about this guys?
Grosskopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #15
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Not lehalocho.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #16
Returning
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosskopf View Post
There are many references contradicting that a kid can be a jew either if his mother isnt jewish.What do you think about this guys?
BS"D

????

Your premise is as clear as your writing.

A Jew is one who is born to a Jewish mother, or has converted al pi halacha (has had an "Orthodox" conversion). End of story.

Other Judaic religions such as Reformism may have other rules, but while any of their adherents who meet the rules above are indeed Jewish, they are not practicing Judaism.
Returning is offline   Reply With Quote