Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Yiddishkeit

Unread 10-23-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
Avraham18

Conversion

So I am a 22 year old male serving in the United States Air Force. Both of my parents are neither jewish however I was raised in a Jewish environment seeing as how both my "Step" Father (whom I lived with) and my "Step" Mother (whom I spent summers with) were both Jewish. I was very involved with the Jewish community in Charlotte NC, growing up and went to services regularly. I celebrated all holidays with most of my jewish friends families. I was a very active member of the Youth program in B'nai Brith. Now in the Air Force I still attend services regularly and even went to Yom Kippur services even though I am deployed to Iraq right now.

My question is. What steps do I need to be taking to make my judaism official? I have always concidered myself a son of Judaism since I was 13 yrs old. I have done much research and know that of course Jewish education is a high priority. Gaining my bachelors degree as a full time student will have to be my number one priority when my contract in the Air force is up in a year and half. Are there any programs for people like me that I can get involved in? Is there a way to get college credit while studying Judaism? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Avraham18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2006, 01:50 AM   #2
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

If you want to convert, you have to speak to a Beis Din, a Jewish court that deals with conversion. Different courts have slightly different requirements If you aren't Jewish, you don't "need" to be taking any steps to convert, in that you are under no obligation to do so. Good luck in your journey.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2006, 02:48 AM   #3
Avraham18

I realize I am under no "obligation" to convert. It is however something I have always planned on doing. In my heart I am already there.

The rabbi who came to Kuwait for Yom Kippur services told me of a great beis din in Seattle. Are there others? How do I go about locating the right one for me. Thanks
Avraham18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2006, 03:33 AM   #4
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

There are many such Batei Din. But I think the proper thing to do is to consult with the Beis Din for conversion nearest to the place you live, unless there is a solid reason not to.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote