Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Teenagers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 09-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
shlucha14
Executive Member

what's wrong with facebook?

I came to a frum school almost 2 years ago after spending my entire schooling with non-frum ppl, where I am on shlichus. One of my old (non-frum) friends suggested that I get facebook as a way to keep in touch with her and my other friends.

Then I got into the frum world and discovered that, in the words of one of my really close friends, (who's pretty chasidish, and considered a lot of fun by the entire class) that "we don't do facebook".
That really confused me, so I looked around and saw that girls who had it tended to be more wild and superficial- plus all some of them talked about was what other ppl had written on their wall. I deactivated my account, but I would like to know: what exactly is so bad about Facebook?
Unread 09-03-2008, 04:19 AM   #2
Returning
Banned

BS"D

Like the Internet in general, Facebook can be used for good or for bad. There are many good people as well as learning and Tehillim groups on Facebook, and especially if you have friends all over the world it is a good way to keep in touch, but there is also quite a bit of pritzus and just plain wasting time.

If you can control yourself then it is a good thing. BUT:

1) Keep your profile protected so that only your friends can see it - don't leave it open within your network.

2) Be careful when you put up photos that people can comment on because then all of the friends of whoever comments on them can see every picture in whatever album your commented pic comes from.

3) Be careful which groups you join; don't get too much into the culture of Facebook because so much of it is just a plain waste of time. And add only people you know in real life to your friends list.
Returning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

In simple words, Facebook is a waste of time.
If you follow what Returning said, though, then you should be okay. But it's still better to keep your name off the internet as much as possible.

When Facebook came out, and I professed to be anti-Facebook, my mother told me that in 20 years, potential employers will do Facebook searches as part of their background checks, and possibly eliminate people based on Facebook. You don't want to have that as part of your record.*

*Note- I have friends who weren't hired because someone did a background check on Facebook, and found them to be wanting in something.

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 05:45 AM   #4
Returning
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorthinker View Post
When Facebook came out, and I professed to be anti-Facebook, my mother told me that in 20 years, potential employers will do Facebook searches as part of their background checks, and possibly eliminate people based on Facebook. You don't want to have that as part of your record.*

*Note- I have friends who weren't hired because someone did a background check on Facebook, and found them to be wanting in something.
BS"D

You can use a phony name or a nickname so long as it has a first and last name. I have two phony accounts as backups because I had organized a tehillim chain and needed to send more messages than Facebook allows. One is Panthera Tigris Altaica and the other is Hareytze Beilumshem. Since I no longer use the backups anyway I'm tempted to change one of them to something downright obscene in Turkish just to get one over on them .
Unread 09-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
FlyingAxe
Silver Member

This is a Chabad forum, right? Alter Rebbe talks about Facebook in Tanya.
FlyingAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

And refers to it as such? Interesting....

Unread 09-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Returning
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAxe View Post
This is a Chabad forum, right? Alter Rebbe talks about Facebook in Tanya.
BS"D

Yes, in the same perek in which Benedictine is discussed. I drank too much of it at breakfast to be able to find the reference.
Unread 09-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Hm. And which perek might that be?

Unread 09-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Returning
Banned

Quote:
Hm. And which perek might that be?
BS"D

Shin resh chaf yud vov (536), which is usually referred to as shin yud caf vov resh.
Unread 09-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

LOL.
Who's shikkur? (Besides Returning....)

Unread 09-04-2008, 02:51 AM   #11
Returning
Banned

Quote:
LOL.
Who's shikkur? (Besides Returning....)
BS"D

Anyone who drinks Benedictine for breakfast and thinks Facebook is mentioned in Tanya is either shikkur, on something or zeyr shtark meshugge!
Unread 09-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #12
shlucha14
Executive Member

Quote:
In simple words, Facebook is a waste of time.
If you follow what Returning said, though, then you should be okay. But it's still better to keep your name off the internet as much as possible.

Right, that's what I tell ppl when they ask why I don't have it anymore. But then why's there such a stigma with having it in chassidishe circles?

Yeah, one of my friends put up a photo with a teacher in it, ppl commented really disgustingly and the school found out. People got into SO much trouble, that's why I'm not re-activating it.
Unread 09-05-2008, 03:12 AM   #13
Returning
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlucha14 View Post
Yeah, one of my friends put up a photo with a teacher in it, ppl commented really disgustingly and the school found out. People got into SO much trouble, that's why I'm not re-activating it.
BS"D

I busted someone who used the picture, name and birth date of a respected teacher in a Chabad community abroad to set up a phoney Facebook account. But in general, the Chabad activity on Facebook is positive.
Unread 01-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #14
mushka18

What exactly did the alter rebbe right in Tanya about facebook?

Another problem with facebook is, theres really wierd people on it who try to be your friend.
You have to make a private account.
mushka18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #15
shlucha14
Executive Member

right...mine is as private as it gets, i only use it for looking at pictures of my friends.
Unread 01-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #16
seekinganswers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlucha14 View Post
I came to a frum school almost 2 years ago after spending my entire schooling with non-frum ppl, where I am on shlichus. One of my old (non-frum) friends suggested that I get facebook as a way to keep in touch with her and my other friends.

Then I got into the frum world and discovered that, in the words of one of my really close friends, (who's pretty chasidish, and considered a lot of fun by the entire class) that "we don't do facebook".
That really confused me, so I looked around and saw that girls who had it tended to be more wild and superficial- plus all some of them talked about was what other ppl had written on their wall. I deactivated my account, but I would like to know: what exactly is so bad about Facebook?
Facebook isn't really the best thing. It can get super addicting and it is also used by many people just as places to post pictures that are not the best for other people to see. It's not really a modest thing most of the time.

So, I guess if you are interested in another view of Facebook, it's just not really worth the time. You can call friends and text them... if you have pictures you want them to see that are decent, you can show them in real life. There is no really good reason to use it unless you have friends far away and Facebook is the only good way you can keep in contact with them.

I was on Facebook for awhile but then I realized that it became almost like a competition of who could post the most crazy pics... that's when I realized it is not the best because it gets immodest really quick.

Also, nowadays prospective employees will look at Facebook to see the character of the person they are thinking about hiring. It is a way that people can see how you view life.

Peace and God bless
seekinganswers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2009, 01:36 AM   #17
GroisaTzadik

I just use facebook to post an event and I quickly zoom off. (And come to chabadtalk - LOL!)
GroisaTzadik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #18
FlyingAxe
Silver Member

Quote:
What exactly did the alter rebbe right in Tanya about facebook?
http://www.chabad.org/library/articl.../Chapter-6.htm
Starting with וכן כל הדבורים.
Unread 01-17-2009, 11:44 PM   #19
shlucha14
Executive Member

100 % right, but it's a very high level...
Unread 01-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #20
FlyingAxe
Silver Member

"... karov ... meoid".

As long as you're saying that it's a high level, it remains high. When you start saying, "I don't care at what level it is relative to where I am. Hashem wants this to happen, and therefore, this needs to happen", you will realize that Hashem has already granted you powers to get there.
Unread 01-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #21
joel
Banned

everything has a good side and a bad side
its up to u how you use it
and if you are able to control yourself
and to be wise not estimating yourself
to be consious of your weakness so u may know to avoid any situation
that may cause you to sin
if you cant controll a power the power take controll of you
you are a slave of the power that controlls you
and it becomes your god
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #22
Merlyn

i Love facebook

Last edited by Rabbi_D; 03-19-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: advert removed
Merlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #23
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Because you don't have a life, lol.

Facebook is loved by those with nothing better to do than waste time talking to friends via internet, instead of on the phone or in person.
Personally, I am anti-facebook on grounds of bittul zman, wasting a life, and inappropriateness.

Unread 03-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #24
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

tachatbook?! benyehuda, you're a crackup. One of my more chareidi friends calls it fakebook. But tahatbook?! LOL!

Unread 03-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #25
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Facebook could be utilized in a very positive way , but is not for everyone

Someone who is a BT, with many non frum Jewish friends from different times and places,,can make a killing outreach with Facebook
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote