Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Teenagers

Unread 05-21-2008, 04:41 AM   #1
shlucha14
Executive Member

Question talking during davening

in my school there is an "epidemic" (as our principal calls it) of talking during davening. i am one of the few who try very hard not to...but its a losing battle - the teachers don't really do nething

what is so bad about it & how do u get ppl to stop?
shlucha14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
me again

you sound like your'e in my school! a couple of days ago during davening the talking got really out of hand and noone was doing anything so one girl just said really loudly and sternly Quiet! and that got everyone's attn real fast! ppl were shocked that she was so brave and stopped talking, and then it wore off and they started talking again. so, i don't know wht to tell you Daven to Hashem that ppl learn to respect their davening more!
me again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
beinoniwannabe
Banned

look it up in the shulchan aruch. as for 'what is so bad'- you're speaking to a King, and interrupting to talk to someone else?!?! MOIRED B'MALCHUS! good thing Hashem has mercy- if it were a human king, you'd be put to death at once!
beinoniwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2008, 03:48 AM   #4

Well atleast your school gets the luxury of a good amount of time to daven, we are supposed to have from 8:30- 9:00 to daven but the teacher in charge finishes by 8:45 and we are kicked out of the hall, which isn't a problem for most students who were talking the whole way through anyway, but what makes me not talk in davening is just thinking about why I'm davening. Ofcourse talking in davening is bad, it's like lying down while saying shema
Unread 05-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
existwhere?
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlucha14 View Post
in my school there is an "epidemic" (as our principal calls it) of talking during davening. i am one of the few who try very hard not to...but its a losing battle - the teachers don't really do nething

what is so bad about it & how do u get ppl to stop?
What is so bad about it?

Imagine if you went to speak to President Bush as a representative of the Orthodox community. So, you throw on a robe, gobble an energy bar, grab your to-do list, and mumble, "President Bush, you're totally an amazing president. Please veto the proposal to give the Palestinians money. Please give Israel support in front of the UN. Oh, and while you're at it, would you mind pardoning my speeding ticket? Thank you so much for all you've done for Israel. We'll meet again this afternoon, and again tonight."

Would you do that?

Well, Hashem is in charge of President Bush, Israel, the Palestinians, anything you can think of. How do you approach Hashem, your Father and all-powerful King?

It is very difficult to be one of the few strong ones who swim against the current. Realize that this situation is where Hashem put you so that you can grow and strengthen your spiritual muscles. It will take maturity and determination for you to sustain your davening, but the One Who brought you to it will bring you through it.

As for getting people to stop. That's really hard. Can you tell us more about the situation? WHat have you done so far, what have other people done, why don't the others want to daven with kavana?
existwhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 01:54 AM   #6
shlucha14
Executive Member

well the girls in my school are very rebellious, they generally do what they want. the level in other areas (tznius, learning) is also not so amazing. quite a few of the girls aren't frum, & they influence the ones who officially r to talk 2 them. they've never really learnt about davening, & they don't realy care. the teachers have basically given up. sometimes they try move girls, but others just get up & sit next to them. sometimes its so loud u can't hear the girls who r davening.

btw if this doesn't sound like the most amazing skul so why am i there- its the only chabad (officially chabad, at least) school a short plane ride away from where i am on shlichus.
Unread 05-27-2008, 01:55 AM   #7
shlucha14
Executive Member

Angry

and if u try shush them then OBVIOUSLY all u get is dirty looks, then louder talking.
Unread 05-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
beinoniwannabe
Banned

I think they need to incorporate more mussar into the curriculum.
Unread 05-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
DW Duke
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinoniwannabe View Post
look it up in the shulchan aruch. as for 'what is so bad'- you're speaking to a King, and interrupting to talk to someone else?!?! MOIRED B'MALCHUS! good thing Hashem has mercy- if it were a human king, you'd be put to death at once!
Beinoniwannabe makes a good point. If you were standing before a human judge in a court of law, or a dignitary such as the President of the United States, would you divert into conversation with the person next to you? Of course not. Then why would you do this when addressing HaShem. For elaboration on this concept see the Sulchan Aruk.
DW Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2008, 10:55 PM   #10
existwhere?
Silver Member

Quote:
well the girls in my school are very rebellious, they generally do what they want. the level in other areas (tznius, learning) is also not so amazing. quite a few of the girls aren't frum, & they influence the ones who officially r to talk 2 them. they've never really learnt about davening, & they don't realy care. the teachers have basically given up. sometimes they try move girls, but others just get up & sit next to them. sometimes its so loud u can't hear the girls who r davening.

btw if this doesn't sound like the most amazing skul so why am i there- its the only chabad (officially chabad, at least) school a short plane ride away from where i am on shlichus.
Wow. You're in a really challenging situation.

These are just some suggestions, they may or may not work for you. Perhaps one of your parents can call the school and make some arrangements for girls who really want to daven- make a special davening room for them, or let them daven at home with aprental supervision, or at least inform the teachers that they are unhappy with the current situation.
Quote:
and if u try shush them then OBVIOUSLY all u get is dirty looks, then louder talking.
Yes, but remember that in the long run, they will learn from your example, if you just ignore them and keep on davening. They will never forget that, it leaves a permanent impression on their neshamos, when they see another girl davening. They will be effected by it no matter what.
existwhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #11
beinoniwannabe
Banned

But until then, she is in a challenging situation which should not even exist.
Unread 06-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
Chabad 770

She sure is. If it were at my school, which it is, the teachers and principle would probably have those who were davening with Cavannah in one room and those who were talking durring davening in a different room, dividing the teachers who watched them. Of course the teachers could trade off days on which room they would be in.
Chabad 770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 05:31 AM   #13
shlucha14
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinoniwannabe View Post
But until then, she is in a challenging situation which should not even exist.
ok, i agree, but do u have any suggestions on how to improve it?
Unread 10-07-2011, 02:39 AM   #14
yaohua

MOIRED B 'MALCHUS!!!!! Good thing Hashem loving-if a man is king, you will be put to death at once!!!

---------------------------

Last edited by Rabbi_D; 10-08-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: unacceptable signature
yaohua is offline   Reply With Quote