Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Teenagers

Unread 03-14-2002, 06:37 AM   #1
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

Talking Tachlis

BSD

Not to Weaken the Desire of Youth to Learn Torah

Many parents, with the best of intentions, encourage their children to become involved in earning a living when they are not yet ready.

The following is an answer given to parents who wanted to send their son to learn a trade in college, who asked for the Rebbe's blessing:

In this time of confusion, especially amongst the youth when Hashem has blessed them (i.e. the parents) and their children with a firm desire to learn Torah, and they have no doubt in this - one must take great care not to weaken them in this at all (because the weakness is liable to arouse a thought of doubt etc.), and on the contrary, one must encourage them in this. This is important not only for their success in their studies, but also for the completion of their world outlook, not to be seduced at all by the environment on the outside (including that of college). Therefore it is proper that they influence also their son Shlomo to enter full-day studies in Yeshiva, at least for a year two years. And concerning the livelihood of their sons they should wait until their sons will start to talk about it. May Hashem bring them success.

(Emphases in original)
Bais Moshiach Issue 267, translation from Hebrew.

The Rebbe seems to be saying that as long as the child wants to continue studying, the parents should not encourage the child to stop and start thinking about parnoso: "And concerning the livelihood of their sons they should wait until their sons will start to talk about it." Even after marriage, there is a year of Kollel to solidify one's relationship with Torah. It is only if the son himself initiates the suggestion, which is an indication of a loss of interest in his studies, that it should be addressed.

Indeed, Mashpi'im are known to discourage the unmarried from worrying about "Tachlis" until after they marry and have attended Kollel for a year.

But many parents with daughters of a marriageable age insist that the prospective shidduch already have a stable parnoso (living). How is this possible if, according to the system, continued studying is encouraged? This leaves the otherwise prospective shidduch stuck in a no-win situation!
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2002, 12:39 AM   #2
D3Voice

Exclamation This world or the other

Is the purpose in this world to make a dira betachtonim. THen we have to be involved in this physical world and elevate it by finding the chips that are there and revealing them. Like take a regular piece of wood that on would find on the interstate highway and using it as a base for your suka. That is the inanimate, but even the animate as well.

The question is, at least to me. that in order to enter the world one has to have a background not to be thrown away. And that is through college.
D3Voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2002, 01:06 AM   #3
noahidelaws

BS"D Please read through the sichos and letters quoted in the college thread and then you probably (hopefully) will start to think differently about that...
Unread 04-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Shall I tell you why? Because worrying about earning a living (takes four years[+] to learn anything nowadays) only after marriage is starting at least four years too late.

!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
Agent40

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahidelaws View Post
BSD

Not to Weaken the Desire of Youth to Learn Torah

But many parents with daughters of a marriageable age insist that the prospective shidduch already have a stable parnoso (living). How is this possible if, according to the system, continued studying is encouraged? This leaves the otherwise prospective shidduch stuck in a no-win situation!
B'h
You have raised very good points............
Unread 08-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
lubagrl

ya i always had the same question! i mean its a beautiful thing to learn, but practicaly it just DOESNT make sense theres no way to earn a proper living. Its just not realistic and im seeing it with my married bros....
and plus how the yeshiva system doesnt at all prepare them to take any sort of courses at all to make a living bc they barely know how to read!
Unread 08-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
noahidelaws

Please re-read the original post; that was not the question.
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Noah

what do you think after these 8 years?
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

I don't know if it does exist in America, but here's how things work here:

At the end of their studies at the Yeshiva, there are programs specially designed for those who have always studied in Kodesh but who can't find a job in that area. The training lasts one year and up to two years to prepare them to work as a designer, electrician, computer scientist, etc...I personally know someone who became a lawyer through this program.

I think there are practical solutions to help Charedim to find work without necessarily going through a college where they will study useless things (maybe 5% of the cursus will be usefull).
Unread 08-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
mothemilitant

it would be amazing if there where systems here in the US like that the problem is even with few that there are the second a bachur wants to leave kollel / 770 to go study like that he is for some crazy reason regarded as a bum other guys sit in kollel / 770 wasting time but they are the "good guys" b/c they "stayed with the system"

its a messed up system that has to be fixed the rebbe started bais sefer lamelacha for a reason - so people could learn a trade not everyone is supposed to be klei kodesh but people seem to forget this and try forcing our youth/ bachurim into a square even if they are a circle it something which must come to an end quickly and when it does you will see that suddenly we will have so many less "dropouts / bums" because finally there will be a normal lubav. system for them to fit into
mothemilitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
lubagrl

noah-wasn't the question similar? either way could someone answer my question? ya i know people do courses but you cant really do courses if you went to oheilei torah and you dont even have a diploma.
Unread 09-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #12
noahidelaws

CN: Now that time has passed, I will say that I find the whole topic very confusing, but that it now seems clear that something is not adding up, something is not working, something is not right here at all.
Unread 09-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #13
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothemilitant View Post
its a messed up system that has to be fixed the rebbe started bais sefer lamelacha for a reason - so people could learn a trade
Without entering the actual discussion - IIRC the school referenced was for a specific clientle.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
mothemilitant

i am speaking about the lubavitch education system pretty much as a whole not refering to any specific program