Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Teenagers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 05-11-2004, 03:11 PM   #26
iamachassid
Diamond Member

or bright red or bright pink or dark brown or very different from the natural lip color.
Unread 06-14-2004, 04:53 PM   #27
n'eNow770
Diamond Member

I had walked into a drugstore, and i passed the nail polish section, and i saw a color that i thought was really "cool". It was this light orange-y color, ( no it wasnt that loud of a color) I thought it was so nice, and wore it all Shabbos etc... then i didn't take it off on monday in time for school, but my Menahel made a speech and it really got to me, it was about "not beating the syster" (some of you might have read this from me b4) anyways, and he said how no one cares what's on your nails, and it could be that no one's looking, but if you're going against the rules, and behind ppl's backs just to wear nail polish, then slowly in changes who u r, and u go against the rules and behind ppl's backs for other things that could be waaay worse... it changes who you are. Needless to say, i took the nail polish off right then and there, and gave the color away to sumone else. So now the question remains: Why is it looked upon so badly?! What is wrong with a nice color? How do men view nail polish? Is it really something that attracts them to a girl?!
Unread 06-14-2004, 05:29 PM   #28
iamachassid
Diamond Member

Why did you pass it on instead of dumping it?
Unread 06-14-2004, 06:08 PM   #29
n'eNow770
Diamond Member

Valid point, in fact i pondered it myself, but you see the person i gave it to was my OLDER sister, bcuz she is not in school nor in a place that she is "beating the system" by wearing it. Till i find out whether its muttar or not to wear it, i personally wont, but why not let her? It's not wrong is it?
Anyways, can someone answer me on how guys view nail polish? Is it really something that draws attention? Cause that's not why i wear it!!!
Unread 06-15-2004, 03:01 PM   #30
chassidus
Silver Member

I don't think tznius is really about how guys look at it, but how it affects the person herself (or himself). This is why tznius applies even behind the closed doors of one's own room. If a person is careful to be modest it makes them feel more self-respect and act in a dignified way. This integrity is important in Avodas Hashem.

I am no expert on the laws and customs of tznius, but I understand that on the one hand, women are supposed to make themselves attractive for their own psychological need, but on the other hand, they aren't supposed to be immodest. Again, I don't know the guidelines for this.

Whether men find something attractive varies by culture and taste. However, just about anything relating to woman is a concern for attracting men. This is to the point where Shulchan Aruch forbids a man to look at women's clothing even when no one is wearing it, smell a woman's perfume, or look at a woman in any way for pleasure.

Red, is a very conspicuous color, and since it draws attention is sometimes considered non-tznius. For example, I understand that woman are not allowed to wear a dress of solid red. I think that wearing red lipstick and nail polish is similar, in that it attracts attention. That is, I don't think there is any particular attraction to polished nails, only that polished nails attract attention.
Unread 06-15-2004, 06:25 PM   #31
n'eNow770
Diamond Member

So, chassidus, you're basically saying that anything that draws attention is the problem? Rather understandable... but then if i wear a pink shirt or pink nailpolish, what's the difference? Either way it will be noticeable and draw attention? no???
Unread 06-17-2004, 02:42 PM   #32
chassidus
Silver Member

True, both draw attention, the question is to what degree. I think that if everyone wore nail polish all the time, it would not be a problem. However, in these circumstances nail polish represents dressing up. If a person dresses up more than normal it looks like they are trying to draw attention or impress someone. That is not healthy; a person shouldn't have that type of focus.

I am just explaining a possible distinction. I don't know if nail polish is considered inappropriate or not, I'm trusting this thread. But I do think that this depends on the circumstances and culture, rather than an essential problem. For example, the nose ring mentioned. That used to be acceptable. Nowadays, it represents rebellion and punk.

Similarly, for someone coming from a Baal Teshuvah background, wearing jeans is normal and doesn't represent pritzus. For someone that grew up in Crown Heights going to Oholei Torah, it would represent severe rebellion.

There are somethings, however, that are always, or most always, inappropriate. These things more essentially represent rebellion, and drawing unhealthy attention.
Unread 06-17-2004, 06:49 PM   #33
n'eNow770
Diamond Member

Thanks...
Does anyone have any Psak Din's on this???
Unread 06-21-2004, 10:14 PM   #34
n'eNow770
Diamond Member

What about the length of nails? like how long is too long?
Unread 07-06-2004, 12:05 AM   #35
jewgal84
Executive Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any specific Halacha rules conserning the lengh of nails.

But what we do know, is that a chossid should keep himself clean and presentable, so I guess each one can make their own distinction as to what would be appropriate.
Unread 05-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #36
brhs

ok ok yes some makeup is very bad:
dripping mascara and thick dark black eyeliner makes a girl look nisht chasidishe
brhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #37
bachurette

I'm not sure what the source for this is, but I heard that ALL nail polish is potentially problematic cuz if it's a drop chipped, it's a chatzitza when washing netilas yadayim.
I found that fairly logical- like you take off your rings before washing, are you going to start taking off the polish each time? not quite- but then it would be a chatzitza. So to avoid issues- some people don't wear it at all.
Unread 09-11-2006, 04:59 PM   #38
lubablulu

The real reason...

I learned in high school that the problem with nail polish is a halachik issue which has to do with negel vasser. You need to cover your entire hand and nails and if your nail is not completely covered with the nail polish then it causes only half of your nail to be washed. So the problem is really when the nail polish starts wearing off which usually is not too much time after it is applied. It is very difficult to keep all of your nails completely covered in nail polish all the time which is the reason we are not supposed to wear it. As for dark colored nail polish, the "non-chassidish" idea probably came from the same people who say that wearing red or flashy colored clothing is not tzniyus. I also know that nail polish originated in the olden days in the middle eastern countries where the women would dip the tips of their fingers and toes in henna dye for beauty purposes. (My own imagination here kicking in here) It's possible that it was a practise of the goyim and since the jews did not dress like the goyim, they considered it pas nisht.
lubablulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #39
Returning
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n'eNow770 View Post
How do men view nail polish?
I view it as an acceptable substitute for automotive touch up paint (it is the same thing chemically) when covering minor scratches on metal surfaces such as kitchen appliances or fancy cameras and electronic devices !
Returning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #40
Gevurah
Executive Diamond Member

accomplishing the same thing on either
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2006, 04:12 PM   #41
IAmSara
Executive Member

Its not such a chatzizah for washing if you would go out, say to a wedding, like that.
IAmSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 08:24 AM   #42
Gevurah
Executive Diamond Member

sources? Rabbi Falk?
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #43
searching4truth

Last edited by searching4truth; 09-13-2006 at 10:26 AM.
searching4truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:25 AM   #44
IAmSara
Executive Member

Various shiurim I have attended in Crown Heights, with halacha teachers. Sorry I can't quote chapter and verse; I don't think it works like that.
Unread 09-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #45
Gevurah
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't think it works like that.
Halacha always works like that.... ... Galus clouds
the
Unread 09-13-2006, 10:59 AM   #46
Gevurah
Executive Diamond Member

whether by the limitations of the teacher or by that of the student

but thats the way it is...
Unread 09-13-2006, 06:12 PM   #47
IAmSara
Executive Member

The shiurim teachers don't make this stuff up; it's all from somewhere. Like our Rabbonim!

If you don't want to go by what I have learned, from living and learning in C.H. about 25 years, than ask your own rov, and don't waste my time.
Unread 09-13-2006, 08:57 PM   #48
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Gevurah - you have no faith in a "psak" quoted anonymously on CT? Shame on you!
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #49
tzfas
Executive Member

my two cents.

nail polish is not a chatzitza for netilas yodayim - ARSA 161:5

slightly cracked nail polish, if most normal people would not go running to take care of it, it is not a chatzitza - ARSA 161:3

if this lady would run at the first sign of a crack to go fix it, it is a chatzitza lechatchila, (and the same probably applies to a woman who normaly wouldn't care, but right now is in a place that it really bothers her), but there is a reasoning to be meikil - ARSA 161:3

if cracked enough that most people are bothered by it, it is definitely a chatzitza - ARSA 161:3
tzfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #50
lubagrl

one time i wore nailpolish 2 school ( yeah i know i was stupid 2 get a manicure @ school time, especially 1 th@ was a drop 2 dark) and my principal made me go home and ask someone older who i respect whats wrong with it and get back 2 her. i didnt really have anyone 2 ask so i called up the ch bais din! the rabbi there told me a huge speech about how its like a flag, especialy since your hands r waving around the whole time, attracts attention b/c of hormones, etc. but he said that clear or very light colored is fine ,the reason the school makes the rule of no nail plish is b/c ppl. can go 2 far & it stands out when no one else ahs it on
lubagrl is offline   Reply With Quote