Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Teenagers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 05-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #51
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

ppl find the voting requests Online
once you are online, just to fill a FB account, that you are not going to use,to vote ,is like clicking in an ad in a jewish site and less dangerous that having an email address
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #52
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

On the one hand, we have Rabbonim, mechanchim etc etc who tell us the dangers of Facebook. Then we have chossidnistar on the other side (plus a few mosdos who want to make money) who tell us that it is no big deal.
I hear.
To me - it doesn't sit right for some reason. I guess I am strange...
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #53
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Being in contact with some youth affected by this plague called FB (and among them, sadly, some young Lubavitcher from very frum families who are losing control on their children), I know first hand that this is an issue that should not be taken lightly. And don't think that the adults are managing it better than our youths. Many adults from very frum families have been poisoned by that plague. Of course, there are exceptions, and many people who know how to use it properly and efficiently, but to deny that it has catastrophic effects is worse. There are very good reasons why our Rabbonim spoke and are speaking against that plague. Only those who have a FB account cannot see that (it's normal, because when you enjoy it, you hardly see the bad in it). But as I previously said, there are two main issues to consider here, regardless of whether one is pro or anti-Facebook: the needless exposure to that plague (there are many people who do not need facebook to make a donation to a Mossad, eventhough we concede that you can win more many with such competitions), and the FACT that it is known that some Chabad schools in the competition forbid the Internet at home, and even explicitely state that Facebook is innapropriate and that parents should forbid their children to have an access to it. This is where lies the issue we should have with the competition, wheither you are pro or anti's.
Unread 05-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #54
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
On the one hand, we have Rabbonim, mechanchim etc etc who tell us the dangers of Facebook. Then we have chossidnistar on the other side (plus a few mosdos who want to make money) who tell us that it is no big deal.
I hear.
To me - it doesn't sit right for some reason. I guess I am strange...
I am not saying that FB is not dangerous, IT IS!
this is why I am saying just to open an account with nickmane not pics, not friends, just to vote when a mitzvah comes up
Iow .is not having a FB account at all, is just a way to vote
a little MN
Unread 05-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #55
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

I disagree, and therefore I do not have a FB account.
And for mosdos that claim to have a anti-web policy to urge people to use FB accounts etc. is hypocrisy (as is often their whole policy to begin with, but that is a different discussion).
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 01:57 AM   #56
cbd101

Chossidnstar, i will have to completely disagree with you. As a bochur who last year opened up a FB account under a completely random name, and did nothing but vote for that 'kohls counts' thing, i was amazed / horrified, that just one day after opening that account, which again, was under a completely random name, not even jewish sounding, I received a friend request from a lubavitcher girl, who when I turned down the request and asked what on earth she was doing, friending a random person, said she saw i voted for the jewish schools and thought she would friend me.

With some ppl that could have gone a whole other way. Opening an account under another name can be the 'smartest thing'. You can do what you want without worrying about it coming back to you. Facebook is something which should just be completely avoided.
cbd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #57
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

yes, it's VERY dangerous FB
when I say "no friends" means to reject any request
when someone opens an account it's better to do it with a new email and never used it again
Also,if you have an email address, you should not respond all the emails that you get
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #58
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chossidnistar View Post
yes, it's VERY dangerous FB
when I say "no friends" means to reject any request
when someone opens an account it's better to do it with a new email and never used it again
Also,if you have an email address, you should not respond all the emails that you get
More easy to say than to do. Things rarely happen so easily as you seem to think.
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #59
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

it's not for everyone
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #60
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
it's not for everyone
It's not for a chosid .

Other people can do as it pleases them, but for a chosid to have FB...
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #61
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

there are many shluchim ,chassidim, that have FB and they do a great outreach
Unread 05-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #62
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
B'H if this is the case, and there are also, as we know, some other things that happen in Basei Chabad which are not acceptable. Should we emulate that also?

I didn't know you were so liberal?
Unread 05-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #63
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
For shluchim who are 24/7 involved with their community, I don't see the issue, as most of their congregants may be secular or not religious yet. Similarly, I'll have no issue with shluchim using the TV, the Internet or other medias to touch non religious yet or non-affiliated Jews. After all, if the shluchim don't speak their language, how can they expect to be heard? I've already told how one of the local Beis Chabad had a huge success for sukkos when the shlucha decided to invite people through FB.

But not everybody enters in that category, especially not our youths, and what's the use for a bochur to have a FB account? There are also many adults already married who don't enter in that category. Indeed, there are very few those who can justify having a FB account. And there are also very few those who can admit that they didn't do unkosher things or were not exposed to unkosher and innapropriate things with FB.
Unread 05-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #64
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosheh5769 View Post
B'H if this is the case, and there are also, as we know, some other things that happen in Basei Chabad which are not acceptable. Should we emulate that also?

I didn't know you were so liberal?
there are different levels
some ppl are burned if they dont daven in an specific shul
for many ppl is not acceptable to be in the internet at all
ONly ppl who are already ONLINe get these requests to vote,meaning these are ppl who are in a different lower level of chassiddishkeit
some ppl dont do mivtzoym in Manhattan,or ressorts ,bc they are exposed to different things
I really don't see any difference in having a FB account just to vote with a nickname on no friends, than to be online and having email address
one thing, for sure,it's not for you
Unread 05-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #65
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
there are different levels
some ppl are burned if they dont daven in an specific shul
for many ppl is not acceptable to be in the internet at all
ONly ppl who are already ONLINe get these requests to vote,meaning these are ppl who are in a different lower level of chassiddishkeit
some ppl dont do mivtzoym in Manhattan,or ressorts ,bc they are exposed to different things
I really don't see any difference in having a FB account just to vote with a nickname on no friends, than to be online and having email address
one thing, for sure,it's not for you
With such a defensive approach, sin or potential sin seems to be a non issue.

It's not because many smokers don't have a lung or throat cancer than, all of a sudden, there is no issue in smoking or we should concider it appropriate (or close our eyes on the issue) because some other have cancer without smoking...