yeah exactly
what's wrong with the existing thread?
CyberLub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 10:17 PM   #27
CyberLub
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavDavka
I think regarding one's status, only Rabonim should be listed. Other details, like bochur/married, doctor/lawyer, have no practical relevance.
Where are the other details listed?

Quote:
What I think is more important, is to allow much more idle time before logging off automatically, so you can finish your post (some attachments never even made it because it took too long to upload...). As a matter of fact, I don't see any reason for auto log off anyway; it's not like someone's going to... what?
You probably need to allow cookies, it will never log off.
CyberLub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2005, 10:42 PM   #28
Nissan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberLub
Where are the other details listed?
Doesn't LavDavka mean instead of "Gold Member" or "Diamond Member", put "Rabbi" or "Rav" or "Sofer" etc.. if a person is nothing just put "ChabadTalk member"...
Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 03:40 AM   #29
LavDavka
Executive Member

There are no other details, I was just babbling. I don't mean to sustitute the member status, because that's cool, or whatever.
I'm just saying that the only practical identifying feature of somebody is that he is a Rov. Even a Mashpia or Rosh Yeshiva can be argued with. The title of Rov would validate a statement (regarding Halacha) by Torah's terms. On the other hand, a person with the title Rov may come to be regarded as some users' Rabbi. In other words he may be depended upon completely for his Halachic rulings. I don't know if that's good or bad.

To end this mess of a post, I just meant to point out that even if you do incorporate Nissan's suggestion to add "professional" titles (-I do not take a stance in the matter), some are completely unnecessary. Like bochur, married, (doctor,) shliach, mashpia, member of vaad hakahal, rosh yeshiva, (lawyer,) mashgiach, Mr. Rambler, Avraham Fried fan... You get the idea.
LavDavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 08:18 AM   #30
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Attaching the label "Rov" to someone without knowing his real name, is worthless. Knowing his name, OTOH, would perhaps take much of the fun out of these forums...
You want a psak - pick up a telephone.

Last edited by Torah613; 03-15-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2005, 06:25 PM   #31
Nissan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613
Attaching the label "Rov" to someone without knowing his real name, is worthless. Knowing his name, OTOH, would perhaps take much of the fun out of these forums...
You want a psak - pick up a telephone.
No, I meant it so that we know who not to be Chutzpadik to...
Unread 03-15-2005, 08:07 PM   #32
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Good, another reason...
Unread 04-12-2005, 05:21 PM   #33
wannabe
Silver Member

There is a controversy section, which is a good idea, since certain subjects tend to get very emotional, and moderating posts on them could be beneficial. However, the nature of the threads here is such that subjects tend to go very much on tangents, and there are many threads that started off innocent, and at this point should, I think, be relocated to the controversy section (IOW, determination of what belongs in the controversy section should be based not on the subject that the thread began with, but on the subject currently under discussion).

Also, I don't know what the criteria for the moderation is, but I would think one basic guideline should be that any post attacking people (especially people who are not part of the discussion) should not be allowed (I think this is part of the guidelines of halacha). Some recent posts come to mind "

Also, just a thought, but many people would expect a site that's " to be completely , which it is, mostly. The only exception, sometimes, is the jokes. Perhaps there should be some guidelines for the jokes, such as that they should have some Jewish content (or hora'ah), " definitely nothing xian in tone, and perhaps guidelines about appropriateness (although mostly there's no room for complaint in that area.
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 06:22 PM   #34
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

wannabe - there is the red button (in a triangle) next to each post where one can report posts that step over the line. Usually action is taken (where needed) fairly promptly (as I have seen in the past). One can also report threads that went off the subject there, with the suggestion of splitting off and making new threads etc.
Unread 05-15-2005, 08:18 AM   #35
Atzmus

I just posted this elswhere and i thought it belongs here. I know im a bit late but im one user who perhaps has been scared off using this site more because of the laak of toichen found in some of the threads ie sifting through the psoiles to find the quality posts is too difficult below is a simple perhaps drastic approach which if implemented would definitly make me want to use the site more. ( iknow of a number of people who feel the same way)

Quote:
From a broader perspective i feel that at least the site should be broken down into two overall sections.

1. a place where chabad people can meet ,mingle (seperate genders if possible) vent frustrations, discuss yeshivas seminarys, pressures of bochurhood, overall confusion, how there day was, the neshei cahabd newsletter, or even a good joke etc. (such a site would cater to inter lubavitch dialogue and not be representative of official lubavitch policy etc)
(such a site would need to be moderated for Loshon Horah inapropriatness etc.)

2. A site of learning Halachah Chassidus even chassidishe sipurim, jewish and lubavitch history, Official lubavitch positions from sichos, igros, respectable mashpiim (NOT HERGEISHIM) quotes from sifrei kodesh etc. ie discussion involving substance (such a site would be of great benifit to non lubavitchers as well)
(such a site would have to be moderated for am Haratzus, personal hergaishim and toichenlessness)

I definitely beleive there is room in lubavitch for both such sites. The status quo is somewhat of a cholent. (at the same time id like to commend the organisers for positivly enhancing the WWW and creating a successful forum etcetc)

Am i dreaming?........Mods?..............
Atzmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2005, 11:39 AM   #36
LavDavka
Executive Member

The first half is feasible, besides for seperate genders.
For the second half, you're asking for an online encyclopedia of Chabad's perspective on issues. Not for a public forum.

Chabadtalk as it is has those two parts, yet you feel it's insufficient. How would splitting it into two forums help? Unless you're talking about the moderation. Well, that could change on CT too.

What I would suggest for your dream: Create a closed forum where a person must qualify before he is allowed to post. The creator will obviously choose the mods and set the standard. Open it for viewing.
There is such an inyan on Hydepark, Keyadua.

Hatzlacha.
Unread 05-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #37
Nissan
Diamond Member

Yeah, ok, the only way to do something like that would be:
  • Send in a picture of yourself.
  • Email a paper with at least two (known) Rabbinical Signatures proving that you are who you say you are.
  • Send a one-time $10 donation to show that you are serious about discussing real issues on the forum and not what has been discussed before.
Oh yeah, making people pay to use the forum generally keeps out most of the people who aren't serious about topics.
Unread 05-16-2005, 02:41 PM   #38
Daniel
Executive Member

Less forums.

It's very annoying that there are soooo many different subforums, many of which are rarely used.

Take, for example:
Lubavitch Dress Code 04-28-2005
Teshurahs and Publications 01-28-2005
Discussion on Sichos of 5751-5752 03-11-2005
Hot Topics 04-06-2005
Stories about the Rabbeim and Chassidim 12-01-2004 (that's 6 months ago!)
Holidays 04-26-2005
Seforim & Personalities 03-29-2005

I just fail to see the need for these forums... Reducing the number of forums will turn the entire forum into a busier, more lively place.
Unread 05-16-2005, 02:45 PM   #39
Daniel
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan
Yeah, ok, the only way to do something like that would be:
  • Send in a picture of yourself.
  • Email a paper with at least two (known) Rabbinical Signatures proving that you are who you say you are.
  • Send a one-time $10 donation to show that you are serious about discussing real issues on the forum and not what has been discussed before.
Oh yeah, making people pay to use the forum generally keeps out most of the people who aren't serious about topics.
Your last thought is certainly very interesting. But there must always be a way to transfer this payment otherwise than by creditcard, since (especially in Europe) most young people don't have one of those.
Unread 05-16-2005, 03:00 PM   #40
Nissan
Diamond Member

PayPal.
Unread 05-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #41
Daniel
Executive Member

Quote:
PayPal.
How about an envelope, a mailing adress, and a $10 bill, which you can get from any bank office in any country?
Unread 05-16-2005, 04:39 PM   #42
LavDavka
Executive Member

Nissan:
1. All you need is a valid telephone number to verify someone.
2. If the forum is going to be high-quality, only important people will be let on (Rabonim, Roshei Yeshivos, Mashpi'im, etc.). Anonymity is unnecessary.
Unread 05-16-2005, 04:49 PM   #43
klippatrapper

Last edited by klippatrapper; 05-16-2005 at 06:24 PM.
klippatrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 06:23 PM   #44
Nissan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Nissan:
1. All you need is a valid telephone number to verify someone.
2. If the forum is going to be high-quality, only important people will be let on (Rabonim, Roshei Yeshivos, Mashpi'im, etc.). Anonymity is unnecessary.
I agree with you 100%, now that you mention it. I would MUCH RATHER WATCH people who have real words of wisdom talk than be part of a discussion on ... well you know the topics herein...

And I am not excluding myself.
Unread 05-16-2005, 09:54 PM   #45
n'eNow

i think there are too many threads that are all under the same catagory just worded properly ex. against frumteens there is more than one thread. When there are too many it gets too confusing. maybe there should also be a thread for chassidishe pisgamim (maybe you included it in something already)
Unread 05-18-2006, 12:05 AM   #46
olensky

Re: Suggestions on reorganizing the board

I belong to another forum which is organized similarly to CT. However, it has 2 major, extremly helpful additions that CT doesn't have.

1) At the top menu area, next to " Search", they have something called "My Recent Topics". This takes you to a list of your own recent posts. This drop-down gives you 7 choices:
Last day
Last 2 days
Last 3 days
Last 4 days
Last 5 days
Last Week
Last 2 Weeks

2) When you type in the "Reply" box, you should have the options, after you highlight or select text with the right mouse button, you can then use the right mouse button to Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, etc.

If you could add these things, that would be a big help & time-saver.

Dovid
olensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 01:59 AM   #47
DW Duke
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olensky
I belong to another forum which is organized similarly to CT. However, it has 2 major, extremly helpful additions that CT doesn't have.

1) At the top menu area, next to " Search", they have something called "My Recent Topics". This takes you to a list of your own recent posts. This drop-down gives you 7 choices:
Last day
Last 2 days
Last 3 days
Last 4 days
Last 5 days
Last Week
Last 2 Weeks

2) When you type in the "Reply" box, you should have the options, after you highlight or select text with the right mouse button, you can then use the right mouse button to Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, etc.

Dovid
You can do the same thing here by going to your own profile. Then you will see links to all your posts and to all threads started by you.
DW Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #48
olensky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Duke
You can do the same thing here by going to your own profile. Then you will see links to all your posts and to all threads started by you.
1) But to do that, you either have to be looking at one of your own posts at the time, or wade your way through the Members List. Either way, the "My Recent Posts" method is much more direct.

2) What about the Copy, Paste, etc. suggestion of #2 above?

Dovid
olensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #49
why
Gold Member

Quote:
I agree with you 100%, now that you mention it. I would MUCH RATHER WATCH people who have real words of wisdom talk than be part of a discussion on ... well you know the topics herein...
And I am not excluding myself.
Yeah, it would be cool to a have a forum with major mashpi'im (non-anonymously) discussing/arguing things out....
Cooler would be if there was one with say, R' Majesky, R' Greenberg, R' Kalmanson and those major Yechiniks who know a lot answering Q's....
...Or if there was a 'Stump The Rabbi' panel with another big Rabbi coming on once in a while, it would bring excitement and more stuff to discuss, more ppl coming on... not like askmoses where it's one on one and anonymous.
...and probably be hard getting a Rabbi who's willing to do it, and can type fast...
Unread 05-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #50
SPG613

Quote:
Originally Posted by olensky

Last day
Last 2 days
Last 3 days
Last 4 days
Last 5 days
Last Week
Last 2 Weeks

Dovid
I think I know which forum you are talking about, and it is a very useful thing to have that search function. It's easier then browing through all the topics and threads.
SPG613 is offline   Reply With Quote