Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > The World of Lubavitch

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 01-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #101
chabadbreslov

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Duke View Post
B"H

DW, it is really true, fascinating! Just as Hashem creates our Universe through the Ten Utterances of Creation, so too does Man, created in the divine image, create his / her own reality through the faculty of speech. A good eye and a good tongue, the ticket to the good life, really!

Shabbat Shalom
Unread 01-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #102
AntiMishichist

Court to rule on Yechi banner

Shlomo Shamir/Haaretz

NEW YORK - New York's highest appellate court may soon find itself ruling on whether a large banner at the world's most important Lubavitch synagogue, which proclaims, "May our master, teacher and rabbi, the King Messiah, live forever," must be removed.

The case reached the New York Court of Appeals after the New York State Supreme Court ruled two weeks ago in favor of two key Lubavitch organizations, Agudas Chasedei Chabad (the Association of Chabad Hasidim) and Merkos L'Inyonei Chinuch (the Lubavitch Educational Organization), which had filed suit to halt activities by the Chabad movement's messianist wing at the synagogue at 770 Eastern Parkway in Brooklyn's Crown Heights neighborhood.

The messianist wing, represented by an organization named Congregation Lubavitch, Inc., believes that the former leader of Chabad, Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, is really the Messiah. The plaintiffs follow the mainstream Jewish position that since Schneerson died in 1994, he cannot be the Messiah. They therefore object to messianist activity at the synagogue, including the banner and the frequent singing of a song with the same words.

State Supreme Court Justice Ira Harkavy ruled that since Agudas and Merkos are the legal owners of the property, they have the right to determine what activity is permitted there and who is permitted to enter. The ruling would thus allow the plaintiffs to remove the banner, halt the singing and even eject members of the messianist wing from the synagogue.

However, Congregation Lubavitch promptly appealed, arguing that the question of who should be making decisions about internal synagogue affairs is none of the court's business.

The legal battle began three years ago, when several young men wrenched a plaque off the synagogue's exterior wall because it described the rebbe with an honorific used only for someone who has died, and tried to replace it with a plaque of their own, which bore an honorific used for a living scholar. Agudas and Merkos filed suit against the culprits, and Congregation Lubavitch joined as a defender.

Explaining why the two organizations felt a need to turn to the secular courts - something that many ultra-Orthodox Jews consider a violation of religious law - a leading member of New York's Hasidic community, who asked to remain anonymous, told Haaretz that the situation at 770 has deteriorated badly in recent years, with fanatic messianists committing frequent acts of verbal and even physical violence against their opponents.

Moreover, he said, "the messianists have driven many Jews away from the Chabad movement."

Agudas and Merkos "had no choice," agreed another man with close ties to the Chabad leadership. "Faced with the acts of violence and hooliganism, they felt obligated to go to court for the good of the public."

Another community activist from Crown Heights used even harsher language against the messianists. "Their violent, extremist behavior is reminiscent of the Taliban," he said.
The parties to the suit themselves declined to comment.

http://770case.blogspot.com/
AntiMishichist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #103
Shal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Duke View Post

I remember as a child we where told to say 'Sticks and stones can break my bones but names can never hurt me.' when someone would call you a name. You know they were o so wrong. Name calling is like a knife stripping away the soul, shreading it into fragments. The verse was to strenthen you to withstand the attack and to mend whatever was left if you could.
Shal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 04:32 PM   #104
chabadbreslov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shal View Post
I remember as a child we where told to say 'Sticks and stones can break my bones but names can never hurt me.' when someone would call you a name. You know they were o so wrong. Name calling is like a knife stripping away the soul, shreading it into fragments. The verse was to strenthen you to withstand the attack and to mend whatever was left if you could.
B"H

Shal, I think that you are maiking a valid point. Our Sages obm said that lashon hara (evil speech) is in a sense worse than a) murder b) idolatry c) lewdness. That is pretty serious. They also said that it is a major cause of the exile of the divine presence.

Amazing that we (human beings) have been entrusted with the gift of speech, and we don't even realize how powerful and significant it is in effecting our lives.

May Hashem help us to use our faculty of speech (and all of our faculties) responsibly and for the mutual benefit, amen.
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #105
DW Duke
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabadbreslov View Post
B"H

Shal, I think that you are maiking a valid point. Our Sages obm said that lashon hara (evil speech) is in a sense worse than a) murder b) idolatry c) lewdness. That is pretty serious. They also said that it is a major cause of the exile of the divine presence.

Amazing that we (human beings) have been entrusted with the gift of speech, and we don't even realize how powerful and significant it is in effecting our lives.

May Hashem help us to use our faculty of speech (and all of our faculties) responsibly and for the mutual benefit, amen.
Have you ever wondered what would happen if all lashon hara would cease? Would we see moshiach? I have wondered how much lashon hara will be directed toward moshiach before HaShem reveals his true identity.
DW Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #106
AntiMishichist

Just What Are We Fighting For Anyways?

Last week, as reported, CLI filed for a modification in the terms of appeal and that Merkos and Agudas show cause before the court why the bond to be posted should be the exorbitant sum of a half million dollars. Merkos and Agudas in turn presented their arguments explaining that primary reason why they are requesting that the bond be $500,000 is because of possible damages that may be incurred. As support for this they pointed to some major acts of violence and vandalism which have transpired in 770 in the recent past.

CLI, on the other hand is requesting that the bond to be lowered to $100,000 claiming that they are insured. As far as the acts of violence are concerned, CLI counterclaims that while the individuals who believe the Rebbe to be the messiah are very zealous they are not violent. As a rebuttal to obvious and well known incidents of physical velitation CLI maintains that they were in direct response to the provocation of people associated with the plaintiff (Merkos). They cite the post Kinnus haShluchim 5767 farbrengen in 770 as a circumstance of such instigation. They assert that the moshiach youths were vexed and signs where ripped down and they were attacked. Only then did they act in self defense after being incited…

If I were a moderate middle-of-the-road guy I would have thought Zalman Lipskier was fighting Krinsky to protect my rights as an individual in the community to have a shul where my opinion was counted. The craziness in 770 appalls me to no end, as it does the overwhelming majority of the Mispallelim and I think it needs to be eradicated. But If Zalman Lipskier is siding with these hoodlums then I would have to rethink exactly whom and what I’m supporting. Perhaps it is Merkos who is fighting my cause…

(http://770case.blogspot.com/)
AntiMishichist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #107
Lamp Lighter

This just in!

http://chabad.info/index.php?url=article_en&id=23340

NY Supreme Court rules in favor of CLI and against Merkos and the like.

Is this the 6th time its been in court?

If so I am not worried.

all 7's are precious.

It is interesting how col & crownheights.info have yet to publish anything about this.
Lamp Lighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #108
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
This just in!

http://chabad.info/index.php?url=article_en&id=23340

NY Supreme Court rules in favor of CLI and against Merkos and the like.

Is this the 6th time its been in court?

If so I am not worried.

all 7's are precious.

It is interesting how col & crownheights.info have yet to publish anything about this.
I read the decision, and I'm not sure what chabad.info is talking about. All it decided was that Merkos's filings were "not frivolous." Congratulations.

Can we not talk about this? Its boring and stupid.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #109
Lamp Lighter

When they take the yechi signs and all the circus equipment and burn it to the ground and make yechi back into a mentch then maybe things will be less boring and stupid.
Lamp Lighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #110
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
When they take the yechi signs and all the circus equipment and burn it to the ground and make yechi back into a mentch then maybe things will be less boring and stupid.
I never knew yechi was "a mentch." But you're right: maybe at that point, this discussion won't be boring and stupid. Until then, it remains...

...boring and stupid.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote