Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > General

Unread 12-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #1
believer
Executive Member

need ideas for teaching chassidus to a 3rd grade girl

I am now tutoring one or 2 girls once a week and i have to teach chassidus (to a 3rd grader who seems smart) for one hour, so i need alot of stuff to teach her, and teaching her a sicha from the book "please tell me what the Rebbe said" and hayom yom and a few stories is not enough. does anyone know what i should teach her?
Unread 12-02-2005, 01:32 AM   #2
n'eNow770
Diamond Member

I know that Bais Rebbe of L.A. has a fabulous system entitled "Topics". Each week is a different topic or two with the explanations of Chassidus like: Netach, Chesed, Tiferes, etc... The girls are given stories and info about each and they have to make a scrapbook page about each one. I would give them a call and ask more about their system and then modify it for your student.
Unread 02-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

you can talk about the 3 nefashos and how they interrelate
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 12:38 AM   #4
chassidicMom

any yiddish?

If either of you can read Yiddish, "Der Rebbe Redt Tzu Kinder" is a pretty good place to start. If there is any Yiddish, even a low level, it may be worth a try - it will sharpen the language skills and teach an idea at the same time - good challenge for a smart kid.

If you still need ideas, post again - I may have stuff from my own (smart, of course ) 7-10 yr olds

Keep up the great work, our kids need role models/dugmaos!
chassidicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 01:48 AM   #5
believer
Executive Member

The thing is i myself hardly know yiddish.
Unread 02-06-2006, 04:01 AM   #6
Chassidic1

B"H
7, Shvat, 5766

Have you considered focusing on a specific topic?

SichosInEnglish.org for example has "From Exile to redemption." This series focuses on the importance of redemption and has enough short but concise entries to fit into a tutoring session and progressively broaden the students understanding of this important subject. The same could be said for their book "All in good hands," in which they compiled many teachings of The Rebbe on the importance of Trust in G-d. Etc.

(Ideally, the student would gain confidence in being knowledgeable or "holding in" a particular area, which they could enlighten friends and/or family about)
Chassidic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
chassidicMom

The Rebbe Redt tu kinder is also available in English (I think not all volumes), but I suggested to try the Yiddish first, because I feel so strongly about learning the Rebbe's words in the original. If you can manage, and can look it over beforehand, try the yiddish, otherwise, look into the english volumes.

Another thing I have seen is Malka Touger's Chassidic Alef-Beis. It looks like a small child's coloring book, and in my opinion that's a bit misleading. When you look through the pages, though, it really brings out some beautiful chassidishe ideas (Rebbe, farbrengen, mivtzoim, lechatlchila ariber), and for young kids. It's not as babyish as the cover appears, and there are puzzles, code breakers, etc.

Tell us what you have been using so far, and what works. Are you interested strictly in Chassidus? Do you have some curriculum to cover, or is it just an hour you can fill as you wish? Do you want stories/books for a certain age level, or can she do that on her own?
Unread 02-06-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

The Rebbe redt tzu kinder is not the Rebbe's words in the original.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
chassidicMom

the Rebbe redt tzu kinder

I realize it is not verbatim, mainly I meant in general - that I feel it's important to be familiar with yiddish, to be able to follow the sichos, videos, etc. (I'm from the old school )

But isn't TRRTK somewhat quoted though from the original sicha?