Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > The World of Lubavitch > Shlichus > Camp

Unread 06-16-2005, 02:10 PM   #1
itsmehere

quick suggestions on being a counselor...

a/o with quick suggestions on things like thta:
itsmehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
yaldah613

be more specifi... what kinds of suggestions are you looking for?
yaldah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 05:35 PM   #3
n'eNow770
Diamond Member

Don't push your campers too hard to do things they don't want to do. If it's a quiet girl don't push her to scream by line-up, if it's a hard project, don't do it, the kids would rather color then have to "labor" over something.
Also, LISTEN to your campers, give them the time of day, listen to their ideas, and to what they need.
Don't expect campers to sit quietly all day-summer is their time to get a little wild, don't let it get overboard, but still to some extent give in!
Unread 06-16-2005, 05:38 PM   #4
itsmehere

more specific???
today in skwl we had a workshop and all the speakers gave really helpful hints... like giving them choices suddenly makes them want to do things they would have not wanted to otherwise... i would have wanted to hear tonz more, every single speaker had s/t amazing to offer, thats wut i asking, any tips at all....
itsmehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 05:40 PM   #5
yaldah613

it depends on the age but for younger kids (if they won't get upset if they 'lose') make everything a competition. Say 'who can get to the next activity fastest?' or 'why can clean up the best?' etc.
Unread 06-16-2005, 05:42 PM   #6
yaldah613

also as a counselor don't act all grown-up and stuffy- have fun with the kids and they'll have fun too.
Unread 06-16-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
Smiley

Love them with all you've got!

Always remember to judge them favorably - if someones acting up, it's very possible that they come from a bad home or they have ADHD or something.

When we had workshops last year, we were told to compliment them and then name the characteristic they displayed: ex: "I'm so proud of you for doing your project over even though you messed up the first time. That's being persistent."
Unread 06-16-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
yaldah613

always have a list of 'backup' games in your head so you're not stuck waiting around. for example, if you're waiting for a bus or for the head counselor or something, play a game like indian cheif, simon says, etc.
Unread 06-16-2005, 05:54 PM   #9
n'eNow770
Diamond Member

If a different instructor is running the activity, join in on the fun-your campers will enjoy it more if you play too!
Unread 06-23-2005, 06:13 PM   #10
duddet

first of all if u come with the attitude that you love them even if they are sometimes annoying it makes a huge difference also pay attention to their questions if u don't know the answer to something try and find out for them also don't shove things down their throat if they don't want to daven don't force them u must daven now instead try to motivate them using positive reinforcement for example whoever davens nicely will go into a raffle or something also try to be fair don't choose the same two cute kids for everything also remember that they are kids and kids sometimes make mistakes and the kids are coming to have fun and not to be in a school enviroment. kids can be difficult at times but remember they are going to be the next generation so try and have a positive influence on them. be that counselor who they will always remember as having made a positive influence in their lives. lastly, to all those being head counselors and counselors this summer i wish you lots of luck.
duddet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2005, 07:26 PM   #11
hope2beAbochur
Executive Member

don't get too friendly with them because if you do, you will have no power to make them do what you say and they will just make a mockery of you!! it won't be a happy sight
hope2beAbochur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2005, 08:35 PM   #12
bachurette

don't favor. it might be hard but give equal attention to the quieter, "nerdier" kids- they need it a lot more! give equal positive reinforcement. don't just compliment the troublemakers when they behave- acknowledge the good behaviour of te kid thats good all the time, too!
bachurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2005, 09:14 PM   #13
Majorchassid

What makes a good counselor?
Unread 07-26-2005, 03:45 PM   #14
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

Someone who cares!

A good counselor is also a Dugma Chaya, one that the campers can look up to. A good counselor is fun and enthusiastic (even when they don't feel like it). A good counselor makes the most boring activity a blast, gives personal attention to each camper, and IS camp.
hishtatchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #15
jewgal84
Executive Member

Best Tip -treat your campers like you want to be treated!!

(good for all ages)
Unread 09-04-2005, 01:06 AM   #16
haonov

• you have to allways remember to use the kids first names
  • never give a title to a kid (like troublemaker, annoying or hyperactive) because they are "proud" of their title and they won't want to give it up
  • allways be happy, if you show anger the kids know your weak spot
Unread 02-15-2006, 08:42 AM   #17
intodeep

dont be afraid to to chip a nail...participate in every activity with the kids...and dont take sides...always choose to take the boys group over the girls!!!
Unread 05-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #18
why
Gold Member

Hey, I like this thread! 'kay, my 2 cents:
#1 Remember who sent you.
#2 Remember it's The Rebbe's children you've got the privelege of spending the summer with
#3 Smile
#4 Sit with the kids on the bus, you can have rest time when you're home... now is the perfect time for one on one convos
#5 Make sure each kid gets your individual attention at least once a day, this way they know you really care about each and every one of them.
#6 It's great to work real hard so that your campers have a great day... but if you're gonna be up all night preparing just make sure you're not a grouch in the morning
#7 Daven before you come to camp. When the kids see you davening on the bus or something they get the message that it's sorta secondary stuff, not -wow! She davens soooo much!
#8 Don't be afraid to look 'weird'. We Jews are weird. When you bench nice'n loud at some amusment park it's kewl. Not weird. And your campers love it when you go crazy with them
#9 If your camper is (a lot) shorter than you don't lean over him/her when you needa talk -makes the kid feel intimidated, rather bend down to their level
#10 If you need to tell a camper off, do it in private -or else don't do it at all.
#11 Everyone loves a hug!
#12 If a kids been real good, take him/her aside and let her know.
#13 Sing only songs with tochen... or else, what's the point? It's very easy to just switcheroo some words into a Jewish song -like: If you want Moshiach and you know it clap your hands!

Last edited by why; 05-01-2006 at 10:40 PM.
why is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2006, 09:08 PM   #19
Rivkie

WOW 'WHY'... Shkoiach
The only thing I would add is to remember what it's like to be a camper, we've all been there. We all have that one counselor we'll never forget and that summer we always remember.. be that counselor, make it that summer The main thing is to have a BLAST.. totally let loose... give it your all.. if nothing else motivates you, just think of the pretty penny some of these parents are paying

Side note- don't be too harsh with the kids. It's not school. They have teachers all year long telling them what to say, how to say it, and when to say it...
You know it's gone bad when they start missing school. lol
Unread 07-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #20
DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by why
Hey, I like this thread! 'kay, my 2 cents:
#11 Everyone loves a hug!
First ask them if they want a hug or if you can give them a hug. Don't ever touch them without asking. You do not know what the situation at home is like.
This is what i learnt, when i took a course called. "How to identify child abuse, and maltreatment."
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #21
me again

also, if you want to build a relationship with those kids who are more distant, or just want to let them know you are there and you care, a great thing to do would be to go to each camper individually after lights out, or right before, after they're in bed and ask them what their favorite part of the day was- anything goes! they might not know what to say at first so you go first and say i really liked how the bunk played together during rest hour, it was really fun, or i really liked my canteen today, or...! and then they'll get the hang of it and will even anticipate it and wait for you to make your rounds every night. this is also great because it lets you connect with the campers one-on-one and they'll feel comfortable sharing their issues with you in this manner- for instance you might notice that a girl is homesick- this would be the perfect time to talk to her and make her feel better and make her feel like you care about her. The kids positively glow when it's their turn! Try this!
me again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #22
Fitzamatic

These are great tips for being a good parent too! I'm glad I read them.
Fitzamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #23
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivkie View Post
The only thing I would add is to remember what it's like to be a camper, we've all been there.
I hated being a camper. Can I have the "World's Worst Camper" award?

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #24
ssrs94

dugma chaya

Also, a huge point is that they are watching you!!! Make sure to always be tznius, never use bad language, etc...
Be as loving and caring as anything 'cuz for a full month or whatever it is, you're being their mommys...