Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > The World of Lubavitch

Unread 04-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
GreenEagle

pesach cleaning

I was just looking at the pesach cleaning material on chabad.org and it is way above what I do and what I've learned is necessary. I go by the opinion that you just have to clear your home of pieces of chometz larger than a kezayis. Is it absolutely necessary in chabad to go by the opinion that you have to make sure to find every crumb and search under furniture and even "between the floorboards" as chabad.org says? Is that what most lubavitchers do?
GreenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
Lamp Lighter

You are just try to get a rise out of people here now.
Lamp Lighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
GreenEagle

What's that supposed to mean? That I'm being accused of lying? If so, lying about what? You're saying really I did spend hours scrubbing every inch of my bedrooms and living room and am just claiming that I didn't? Or lying that there really is an opinion that you only have to be concerned about pieces of chometz larger than a kazayis?
Unread 04-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

And from whom did you learn that that is all that's necessary?
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
GreenEagle

Here is one place:

http://www.neveh.org/pesach/peshein.html

E. The general obligation to check for and destroy crumbs does not apply if the crumbs are less than the size of an olive (kezayis) and are dirty or spoiled enough to prevent a person from eating them.
Unread 04-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
GreenEagle

So my question is: would continuing to follow this practice be totally out of step with chabad? Do any other lubavitchers do this? It certainly seems that this ( http://www.chabad.org/library/howto/...-the-House.htm ) is saying that you have to totally scrub your house.

I think it's unfortunate that even if chabad does believe that you have to do all that scrubbing. chabad.org should mention the other opinion. Surely following the other opinion is better than being overwhelmed and not cleaning for Pesach at all?
Unread 04-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

" " ' - " . ' ". ' ". ' ".
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
Lamp Lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEagle View Post
What's that supposed to mean? That I'm being accused of lying? If so, lying about what? You're saying really I did spend hours scrubbing every inch of my bedrooms and living room and am just claiming that I didn't? Or lying that there really is an opinion that you only have to be concerned about pieces of chometz larger than a kazayis?
It is supposed to mean that in less than 24 hours you have created 3 different threads of a stand offish nature that invite argument and verbal abuse.

If you hold that only crumbs larger than a kazayis are an issue than why did you scrub every inch of your home? By that logic, a cheerio, or small piece of toast is OK.

That website is not a psak halacha and neither is chabad.org. They are tools to help you but do NOT replace a local Rabbi that you speak with.

We are talking about Kares here. Being spiritually cut off from Hashem G-d Forbid. So this isnt a matter to take lightly. Notice that your online source doesnt even provide footnotes from any halachic source.

Instead of being concerned about how lenient you can be and still be considered a Lubavitcher, why dont you invest some time in learning the bare bone halacha that all ultra orthodox Jews litvish and chassidish hold by.

So no one thinks you are lying. I think you need to spend some time learning though because even if there is a heter that provides your opinion valid, it will gain no acceptance or praise here.
Unread 04-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

A minor quible: Kares is for eating (a kzayis of) chometz, not for having chomez (of any size).
Unread 04-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

lets better to check well the roman lettuce and not to trangress 5 lavim
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
Lamp Lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
A minor quible: Kares is for eating (a kzayis of) chometz, not for having chomez (of any size).
More than just a quibble. I now see how that didn't make sense. My point was the seriousness of Pesach is kares involved.

By that attidude we can eat less than a kazayes and its only issue drabanan. Apologies for my error in explanation
Unread 04-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
GreenEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
More than just a quibble. I now see how that didn't make sense. My point was the seriousness of Pesach is kares involved.

By that attidude we can eat less than a kazayes and its only issue drabanan. Apologies for my error in explanation
So we are all in agreement that if I have a dirty Cheerio under my dresser there is no kareis. Then add to that, sale to a non-Jew and bittul. So why should I spend hours scrubbing my bedroom? If Chabad insists on that maybe it really is not for me.
Unread 04-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
GreenEagle

As fr my online source, it quotes Rabbi Scheinberg.
Unread 04-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #14
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp Lighter View Post
Chas ve'sholom! Eating less than a kzayis is min hatorah!
Unread 04-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEagle View Post
So we are all in agreement that if I have a dirty Cheerio under my dresser there is no kareis. Then add to that, sale to a non-Jew and bittul. So why should I spend hours scrubbing my bedroom? If Chabad insists on that maybe it really is not for me.
Did you look up the sources I cited?
Unread 04-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
Lamp Lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
Chas ve'sholom! Eating less than a kzayis is min hatorah!
I must be mistaken then, I thought I read that eating less is issur d'rabanan. My (very dangerous) mistake.

Kosher Frielech Pesach!