Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Halachah & Minhagim > Seasonal Minhagim > Tishrei

Unread 09-01-2002, 01:39 AM   #1
Tzemach
Super Moderator

Customs for Erev Yom Kippur

Compiled By: Rabbi Shimon Raichik
Congregation Levi Yitzchok
Chabad of Hancock Park

Erev Yom Kippur
Sunday, Tishrei 9, September 15

Kapporos
See Sidur, P. 296. Men use a rooster and women use a hen; pregnant women use preferably a rooster and two hens. Give the value of the chicken to the poor. If you can't get a chicken, use money and say "Zeh Hakesef Yeilech L'tzedakah".

Some do Kapporos during Aseres Yimei Teshuvah.

During the Ten Days of Teshuvah we give Tzedakah liberally, on Erev Yom Kippur even more so.

At Shacharis we don't say Mizmor Lisodah, Tachanun or Avinu Malkeinu. (Mizmor Lisodah is in place of the Korban Todah, which wasn't brought Erev Yom Kippur.)

We ask friends for Lekach (honey cake), and eat it. One reason for this custom is that, were it decreed upon us, Chas Vishalom, to depend on the "gifts of flesh and blood", we discharge our "obligation" with this.

". . . My father-in-law, the Rebbe told: 'The Baal Shem Tov would say that giving Lekach (honey cake) on Erev Yom Kippur is an ancient custom, and when he gave it he would say, I give you Lekach, and may HaShem give you a good year, and my father [the Rebbe RaShaB] would add, 'a sweet year'… [Sichah, Erev Yom Kippur, 5711]

It's a Mitzvah to eat and drink on Erev Yom Kippur as if for two days. It is forbidden to fast. We eat two full meals for which we wash and eat Challah dipped in honey. One meal is before Minchah; Seudah Hamafsekes is after. We eat Kreplach. We don't eat eggs on Erev Yom Kippur.

It's an obligation to go to the Mikveh. Go before Minchah, after the first meal. (Some go again after Seudah Hamafsekes before sundown.)

Before Mikveh we have the custom of Malkos: receiving thirty-nine symbolic "lashes" to remember the need for Teshuvah. Both the one giving and getting Malkos say the thirteen words of "VeHu Rachum" three times, for a total of thirty-nine.

Yom Kippur doesn't atone for sins against a fellow man, unless we appease him. If we've sinned against others, even if only in words, we're obliged to appease them. We must go personally to them. The injured party should forgive willingly and wholeheartedly.

Minchah
We wear Yom Tov clothes to Minchah. We give a lot of Tzedakah before Minchah. At the end of the Amidah, before "Elokai Nitzor" we say Viduy (Sidur, p. 302) in the silent Amidah, but not in the Repetition.

We don't say Tachanun (or Avinu Malkeinu).

After Minchah, we eat the final meal before the fast. We eat only easily digestible food, such as boiled chicken or soup. We don't eat or drink spicy or salty foods. Finish the meal while it's still daytime.

Many refined people use only one hand to eat at their meals. On Erev Yom Kippur, they would eat with both hands, (as I saw by my father). [Erev Yom Kippur, 5745, Likutei Sichos Vol. 29, p. 319]

The previous Rebbe said, The first time I was obligated to fast on Yom Kippur, I ate the Seudah Hamafsekes (the final meal before the fast) with my father. He said I should have some soup with Challah. He told me to pour a second and third spoonful (or three servings of soup). The soup was without salt; I wanted to pour some into my soup and began to reach for the salt but held back. My father saw this. He said there are many reasons we eat without salt on Erev Yom Kippur and the simple reason is we shouldn't be thirsty, because on Yom Kippur we must not only not eat, but we should not even want to eat or drink. [Sefer Hasichos, Motzei Yom Kippur, 5698]

If you finish quite early, and intend to eat or drink before the fast, make a declaration (or at least have in mind) before Birkas HaMazon, that you're not yet beginning the fast.

Parents bless their children before going to Kol Nidrei.

At candle-lighting we say "Lihadlik Ner Shel Yom Hakippurim" and "Shehechiyanu". Although the fast begins at sundown, women and girls who light candles start at the proper candle-lighting time.

We must add to Yom Kippur at its beginning and end: don't delay candle-lighting or going to Mikveh.

Those saying Yizkor light a Yahrtzeit candle at home. If you plan to say Havdalah at home after Yom Kippur, light a 24-hour candle at home.

Every married man brings a 24-hour candle to Shul, to light before Yom Kippur.

It's proper to leave a light on in the master bedroom.

We must honor Yom Kippur with Yom Tov clothes, a Yom Tov tablecloth and candles.
Tzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Intrigued

Shayach
Intrigued is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/Jewis...Yom-Kippur.htm
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Lamp Lighter

What is the source for going to the mikveh twice, before and after mincha. This would be 3 times since one also goes in the morning.
Lamp Lighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

See the sources (in the FR sichos) brought in Otzar Minhogei Chabad.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote