Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Teenagers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 04-07-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
lubav770

Seminary packing list (not for bochrim)

does anyone know of what to bring to seminary and how much of everything. can someone write me up a packing list thanks
lubav770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #2
yechi770

I dont know What seminary you applied to but if newhere like Chitrik, definitly dont bring any jean skirts, movies, short socks, but.... also film is very expensive to develop in isreal,
yechi770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2005, 03:16 AM   #3
zaraza

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubav770
does anyone think they can make up what to bring to Yeshiva and how much of everything. can someone write me up a nosh list thanks
If you are headed to Brunoy-a few cases of tuna would help
zaraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 12:02 AM   #4
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

To answer the original question on a more slightly serious note: First of all, bear in mind a few Klalim:

1) Any clothing you bring to sem and wash in Israel will be ruined. Don't expect anything to be a Yotzei Min Haklal. I can tell which white shirts I brought to Israel based on whether they are now grey or beige, or have remained basically white. So try not to go shopping for sem, you'll appreciate your clothing much more afterwards!

2) No need to bring most Sefarim, they are cheap in Israel and a pain to shlep. Do keep in mind, though, that you will have to either shlep them back home or abandon them in sem... Do bring the basics (Chitas, Sefer Hamitzvos, and any other Sefer you learn regularly) because till you get to a store may be a few days.

3) You will spend as much money as you have. Some girls spend $5,000 in their sem year. I spent far less than $1,000, B"H, including transportation and nosh. But I did miss out on several fun activities.

4) Clothing in Israel is, in most places, far more casual than in the US. You don't need super-elegant Shabbos clothes, and please see Klal #1 before going!

5) It gets colder in Israel than you think. Most Israelis (and Americans) forget this, which is why few apartments have heating (while all have AC). You'll need heavy sweaters, and possibly a good coat. It's not SO likely to snow, but do make sure you have something you can wear.

6) Israeli paper is larger than American paper (it's European size, A4). So leave your beautiful zippered 3 ring binder at home unless you want to also bring along enough paper for the year, and are willing to re-hole-punch and cut hand-outs to size.

More Stuff to Pack

- Comfortable sneakers. Any sem will take you on lots of hikes. You'll need them, and expect them to get VERY beat up (many hikes are muddy and rocky and wet).
- A warm blanket. See Klal #5.
- A camera. Should be obvious, but this is something you may want to invest in. Get one that's small enough to bring around easily, and lots of film. Don't bring a digital camera unless you have where to store or upload the pictures. I had a large clunky camera, and regretted it- it was always too much of a pain to pull out.
- Several comfy sweatshirts. You'll live in them.
- Tznius PJ's, please! Even if nobody else is wearing them, sem is a good time to take on a new Hachlata. Plus, your roommate may appreciate it.
- Comfortable Shabbos shoes. You'll be doing a lot of walking on Shabbos also. If you bring delicate heels, and your feet are killing before you're halfway to the Kotel, don't say I didn't warn you!
- A Chitas cover. Just take my word for it. (Or $$ to buy one in Israel)
- Your favorite brand of pens. You may not like the Israeli kinds.
- AN ADAPTER!!! Don't forget this. They are cheap (not the transformers, just adapters), and even if you have nothing to plug into them, someone else will.
- Blow dryers and irons are optional. Usually someone else will bring one, and irons get left in sem from year to year, plus you either have to buy one in Europe or risk your transformer blowing. So unless you KNOW you can't live without one, be prepared to possibly do so, and usually you won't have to.
- PICTURES!!! Of your cute little nephews and nieces, your parents, your high school graduation, your senior class. You will have wall space to hang them up. Throw in a roll of tape while you're at it.
- Some girls swear by American detergent. Others tell you that the Israeli stuff is better formulated for the local water. If you bring from home, the tablets are the best, because you don't have to shlep a big box or bottle around.
- BYO shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, etc. You probably won't like the Israeli versions. How much you bring depends on how much you use- some people only need 1 bottle a year (if you only use a teaspoon each time). Also bring a shower puff, and shower slippers. The latter is very important, because there is often no enlosed shower area, the water goes all over the bathroom and down a drain in the floor. It obviously gets pretty dirty.
- Bring skirt hangers. You'll probably get lucky for plain hangers (last year's girls) and if not, you'll go to the 2 shek store.
- Backpack! Not necessarily the rolling kind. I had an LLBean Deluxe, and used it all the time. It's a Shabbos overnight bag, a laundry transporter, water-friendly hiking companion, and more. You'll beat it up, so go for quality over looks, if you're stuck deciding (many are both).
- 2 sets of linens- one for your bed, one for the laundry. Beshaas Hadchak you can get away with one (if you wash it during the day) but it's usually not worth it. Don't bring more, it's pointless. See also Klal #1.
- Diary, scrapbook and materials, etc. Don't expect to be able to record everything after the year is over. You want a place to keep bus tickets, airline ticket stubs, etc.
- One fancy outfit. You might need it (Chasuna, lechaim) and it's best to be prepared.
- Fun accessories for Purim and the multitude of events that will be arranged. Your crazy hat, chicken mask, and cow slippers are perfect.
- CDs and player.
- You probably won't need an alarm clock, you'll use your cell phone.
- Overpack ONLY tights or socks.
- Try to leave at least one of your suitcases partially empty for all the stuff you'll accumulate over the year. Also remember: If you can't carry it, don't bring it! You'll be carrying your luggage yourself more often than you'd like.

I'll end off with Klal #7:
ISRAEL IS NOT A THIRD-WORLD COUNTRY. Even if you come with only the clothes on your back, you can always buy more. Better to be slightly underpacked than severely overpacked.

Hatzlacha Rabba!
hishtatchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 12:40 AM   #5
n'eNow770
Diamond Member

Thanks so much, that is a really fabulous list!
Unread 04-11-2005, 02:06 AM   #6
Smiley

Just a few points on Histatchus's post:

Everyone has digital cameras now, and it's very easy (and pretty cheap) to print them out at the mall or where ever. (Sometimes, it's also a lot easier to just take pics with a few people's cameras and then print out copies for everyone than having to take group pics with 30 cameras.)

About shampoo, in some places, the water is different so some people find that they have to use local shampoo.

And don't worry too much if you dont have so many non-jean skirts. Everyone ends up buying tons of Israeli skirts anyways.
Unread 04-11-2005, 06:56 AM   #7
Bas Melech

Jean skirts are a no-no in Israel...

"Tracht Gutt, Vet Zayn Gutt"
Bas Melech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #8
yechi770

you say it like a bad thing that girls have communication!
Unread 04-11-2005, 09:31 PM   #9
yechi770

i guess since were talking about seminary, ill share my feelings.....
i personally was rejected from the two seminarys i applied to... i actually know a top girl who applied to chitrik, rosenfeld and yerushalyim and she got rejected from all three, now she either has the option of getting herself pushed in or she can go on shlichus (with me)
whats everyone opinion on getting pushed in?
its very sad that when i asked someone to call and push me in she said id rather email them because i have a yichus letter that i wold email them and then ill push u in once they now ehre i come ... am i the only one that gets disguted by the face that u need to have connections to get into sem and to get pushed in
Unread 04-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #10
n'eNow770
Diamond Member

My friend-who is an amazing girl did not get accepted to either of the seminaries she applied to. She tried to find someone to talk on her behalf, but it was no use, so she called up the seminary herself and explained to the principal why it's the best place for her, and she can't understand why she didn't get accepted. The principal was so moved, that a few days later my friend got an accpetance letter.
Sometimes you just have to push yourself in, on your own merit, not on someone elses yichus etc...
Unread 04-11-2005, 11:51 PM   #11
Smiley

Quote:
hope2beAbochur if you meant me, i wasn't saying it as a bad thing, but i was reading in hamodia that some rabbis have outlawed cell phones from yeshivas, and i thought lubavitch would welcome this, even if lubavitch doesn't have close relations with the rabbis that paskened this...
The Israeli sems require cells for safety reasons.
Unread 04-12-2005, 09:57 AM   #12
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

Yechi770- You still have Montreal open- go for it! It's a great place, the girls I know that went there were really happy. Israel is not the only choice.

Besides, I have NO yichus to speak of, and got bumped to the top of the waiting lists on 4 top seminaries (unfortunately, I still didn't get in, but still...)
Unread 04-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #13
yechi770

Quote:
Originally Posted by hishtatchus
Yechi770- You still have Montreal open- go for it! It's a great place, the girls I know that went there were really happy. Israel is not the only choice.
i wanna let you know i was very confused about the whole seminary situation and i wrote to the rebbe and about it all and the rebbe was talking to a girl who lived in australia and was saying that after getting such a good education, u should go be michanach children, especially in australia where they came from the war and they didnt have the merit u had to be eduacted the way u were, and the letter goes on saying that although eretz yisroel might be tempting, you should get over ur own benefits and help others, so after i got that letter i was 100% sure i was not going to isreal but maybe i should go to sydney and to sem( syndey is a very shlichus/learnign sem) , and i opened up again for clarification if shlichus is 100% and i got a brocha to have hatzlacha in opening up community centers and that i shold consult with my rabbi before doing nething.
after that i was sure i was going on shlichus and sem was out of the question.
when i showed my principal she was so jealous that i got such clear answers!
Unread 04-14-2005, 12:48 PM   #14
TzivosHashem

histatchus - i dunno who you heard from and which Montreal sem u mean, but a lot of the girls in Dahan's sem this year had a really bad time. Especially food-wise. Some days it wasnt edible, and on occasion there was no food at all!
TzivosHashem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2005, 07:28 PM   #15
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

Sorry to break this to you, TzivosHashem, but the food is inedible EVERYWHERE! Including Chitrik (either gross or way too fattening), Yerushalayim (depends on the day), Melbourne, etc. The only benefit of Israel is that there are more restaurants to choose from on those days.
Unread 04-16-2005, 09:50 PM   #16
farshtuptemench

I personally was rejected from one seminary and then got accepted to the 2nd that I applied to. A couple of weeks later the sem that i got into told my princ that i was rejected. Tons of ppl called up for me-the whole hanhala of the school, my mother, relatives of the princ of the sem. but it did nothing. I would consider myself (not to be boastful) a pretty good girl. I spend my free time learning and helping other ppl. and i have a clean past B"H so it really upsets me that ppl could do s/t like that. Now I have nothing for next year. I am trying to get into sem by pushing which seems the only way but it kills me-it doesn't like a very honest path but since thats the only way the flow works its the only way for me to get in. The whole sem sitch in general is annoying me but i dont want to diminish in anyway from where i am now and that's prob what will happen if i dont go. Is it wrong to try to push in?
Unread 04-16-2005, 10:51 PM   #17
yechi770

farshtuptemench, i agree with u 100% .. after being rejected and then getting pushed in wouldnt you feel weird when u get to sem the first day, wouldnt u feel like u know you really dont belong here but i got pushed in for whatever reasons or maybe thats just me!!) in my school there were 9 girls who applied to chitrik and the only applied there.. at the end they all got accepted after getting pushed in and the principal was so happy that everyone got in... but what realy hurt me was that everyone in my class got accepted to sem noone could say the s word and now since everyone got accepted noone really cares and they can scream and yell that they are so excited about sem, meanwhile im sitting there rejected, not knowing where im gonna go next year, its just a very unsensitive to them now since they got accepted... i hope im expressing myself clearly!!
Unread 04-17-2005, 12:50 AM   #18
farshtuptemench

It's not just you. I feel wierd just at thinking of being pushed in. What happened with you-being rejected and no one really caring-didn't happen T"G in my school. there were girls in my school who got accepted but were more upset over their friends rejection than their friend was on their own rejection. but that was only for the first 2 weeks that acceptance came out. now no one really mentions it at all and if they do and u say u got rejected it "oh-why?" What dyou mean y? I know?! But anyway I honestly can say that I understand what you feel like with being rejected and then the pushing sitch cuz i'm there too. I wish you good luck with it, though.
Unread 04-17-2005, 04:32 PM   #19
yechi770

im actually embaressed to say this but when i was in 11th grade i was laghuing at the people that got rejected and theyre like its a huge deal, and i never understood how much of a deal could it really be until.... I got rejected and let me tell everyone that is younger than me ITS A HUGE DEAL, and u should never laugh at ur neighbors downfall
Unread 06-06-2005, 04:55 PM   #20
n'eNow770
Diamond Member

Getting back to packing...
What about a summer packing list? If i'm going to be working at a sleep-away camp what do you suggest/modify from the sem list?
Unread 06-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #21
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechi770
i wanna let you know i was very confused about the whole seminary situation and i wrote to the rebbe and about it all and the rebbe was talking to a girl who lived in australia and was saying that after getting such a good education, u should go be michanach children, especially in australia where they came from the war and they didnt have the merit u had to be eduacted the way u were, and the letter goes on saying that although eretz yisroel might be tempting, you should get over ur own benefits and help others, so after i got that letter i was 100% sure i was not going to isreal but maybe i should go to sydney and to sem( syndey is a very shlichus/learnign sem) , and i opened up again for clarification if shlichus is 100% and i got a brocha to have hatzlacha in opening up community centers and that i shold consult with my rabbi before doing nething.
after that i was sure i was going on shlichus and sem was out of the question.
when i showed my principal she was so jealous that i got such clear answers!
Yeah, I bet she was!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2005, 08:40 AM   #22
n'eNow770
Diamond Member

1. Mods could you clean up this thread-some of the things here are totally out of place and context!
2. Could someone please answer my above question regarding any camp packing alterations?
3. Hope2b, i would suggest you ask a bochur who's already been in that Yeshiva and ask if you need to bring certain sforim.
Unread 06-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #23
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

Hope2b- there will always be some Sefarim that the school does not have. You need to consider the law of diminishing returns, though, when packing. If you have a book that you use daily, bring your own copy. If there is a book that you consider an indispensable reference, ditto.

You can try posting a list of the books that you feel are most crucial for you, and we can then better recommend whether they are typical library fare or not.

---

Getting back to the semi-original question (modifying the sem packing list for overnight camp), well they're actually very different.

1) Find out the laundry situation before you go. In some places you may need to wait a WEEK to do any laundry, so bring enough stuff to last you! If you use a camp laundry service, expect everything to be ruined. It's OK to bring some nice stuff if you want, just avoid washing it.

2) Camp IS a third-world country. If you don't have it, and you don't have a friend to borrow it from, you will have to live without it. This usually includes Sefarim, cereal, blow dryers, stationery, and music. Sometimes you can buy things from canteen, but it's expensive and unreliable. Until you can have your outing to the grocery store may be weeks.

3) You're on display. Make sure all of your clothing is Tzniusdik, preferably including pajamas. If you have a Tweety affliction everyone will know about it. Decide beforehand if you want a not-so-Chassidish thing to be your shtick. Don't try hiding inappropriate books or music, even if it's educational, you need to study for SATs or whatever. If it's there, it will be read, and lav davka only by you. Campers may make fun of you or be chutzpadik, but deep down they look up to you. Make sure that you are an appropriate role model.

4) Some non-obvious essentials: Shtick materials, like for sem- funny hats, etc. Senior and sem (if applicable) sweatshirts.

5) A warm blanket- it does get cold at night, and no, not just for a few days. I like bringing a sleeping bag, does double duty and makes it MUCH easier to make a bed, although it doesn't look as heimish or beautiful.

6) A camera. Warning: You are risking it getting ruined. Campers are not often considerate when they are having water fights or pushing people into the swimming pool. Some people prefer to buy a few cheap disposable cameras (try Walmart, under $5) so the only casualties will be a couple of pictures.

7) Don't bring valuables. More things than you want to know about have gotten stolen in camp. So leave your jewelry collection at home, and bring just a few essentials. You also don't want to have an unlimited stash of cash, although you can often leave it in the office for safekeeping.

8) Hat, baseball cap, tichel, or sun visor. Sunglasses too. Sunscreen, and most important: BUG SPRAY! (Sometimes you can get two in one.) Also a thing of Shout (stain remover), mosquito bite cream (an "Itch Eraser"?), and Purell (hand sanitizer, no water needed). Note, you will be sharing these. It can also be helpful to get a spray bottle (available in any dollar store) for cooling off or terrorizing campers. Keep in mind, though, that it will be used on you also!

9) Stationery: even if not to write home, to write cute little notes to campers or fellow counselors.

10) Some "shlochy" clothes, to wear to fun activities like "Shave the balloon" or "Dunk the counselor" (although you won't always have enough warning time to change your outfit).

11) Think ahead. If you have an instrument, a terrific book of Divrei Torah, a really funny skit you put on in 11th grade, or a CD (NOT THE ORIGINAL!!!) your class put out, bring it! These things can come in VERY handy.

12) Calling card- for obvious reasons. I like to bring Negel Vasser, because there's never enough (not too difficult to pack, put your sheets between the kvort and shissel and stuff the kvort with pillowcases).

And the obvious but maybe not to everyone list:
-sneakers
-lots of shirts (don't bring anything that gets see-through when wet, just trust me)
-comfortable skirts
-comfortable but SHABBOS'DIK Shabbos clothes and shoes
-water shoes/flip-flops (or both)
-slippers
-shampoo, conditioner, etc.
-enough tights/socks to last you at least a week and a half
-Chitas, Sefer Hamitzvos, etc. (If you normally do it with English, bring those Sefarim- it's good for the campers to see also)
-your preferred cereal (if you're picky at all)
-your preferred nosh (i.e. gum, mints, sucking candies)
-some pictures, but try not to bring originals, kamuvan (also tape)
-consider bringing your yearbook, the kids will love it
-backpack or mini-backpack for trips- make sure it's big enough for a waterbottle. You'll want your hands free
-a waterbottle (to refill and reuse) - put your name on it with permanent marker

BTW - put your name on everything you bring. Really.

-bring the permanent or laundry marker with you to camp. Even if you don't need it, someone else will.
-laundry bag, if the camp does not provide
-I like to bring small dollar store baskets to keep the small stuff (socks etc.) organized in my cubby

That's all for now...
Unread 06-12-2005, 10:38 AM   #24
n'eNow770
Diamond Member

Wow hisht, thanks a ton, this is really great-much appreciated!
Unread 07-18-2006, 03:47 PM   #25
Tracht Gut

What to bring to lod seminary

Has any one been to Lod?If they can give any tips that would be great?
Tracht Gut is offline   Reply With Quote