Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Teenagers

Unread 02-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
my_soul_thirsts

Farbrengen for Not-So-Frum crowd

This year I was given the responsibility by our Bnos Chabad to help organize farbrengens. The school I'm at is not so frum, and I've been having a hard time attracting girls to farbrengens. I'm currently organizing a farbi for Chof Beis Shvat, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to make this farbi into an even that the frum and not-so-frum crowd will enjoy.
Thanks!
Unread 02-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Maybe to make it a fun idea. Perhaps to have someone demonstrate how to make flowers out of dried fruits. Or a scrapbooking idea, maybe making an album with pictures and stories of the Rebbetzin. I understand that scrapbooking is very popular now.
Another idea is a cooking demonstration.
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

All these activities do not make for a farbrengen. If your goal is to get not-so-frum people involved, do an activity. But do not confuse 'activity' with 'farbrengen'.

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:15 AM   #4
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

What about having one of the above activities first, and then afterwards sitting down to farbreng.
And it can be advertised as such: "There will be a scrapbooking activity to make an album of the Rebbetzin (or a cooking demonstration etc.); and this will be followed by a farbrengen."
This way you are upfront and letting everyone know beforehand what the program will entail.
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:36 AM   #5
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

And then all the Chabadnikim will come for the activity, and leave for the farbrengen. Ditto with those who aren't frum.

Unread 02-09-2009, 04:48 AM   #6
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Point well taken.

But this is a crowd for which you need an attraction.

Perhaps if you have a short but fun activity first, and you have tasty refreshments on the table for the farbrengen to follow, then people will probably want to stay and farbreng.
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:49 AM   #7
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Another idea is to have a popular speaker come to farbreng.
Unread 02-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

With men, the secret two words are "free food." I understand it may not be like that for girls.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
Yingeleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshulam View Post
With men, the secret two words are "free food."
The best way to touch a mans heart is to go through the stomach.
Yingeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
my_soul_thirsts

thanks for all your suggestions! Food is being organized, and I am trying to think of a short game or activity to do before the farbi - but I want it to be something we could tie into the farbrengen later... so something about the Rebbitzen or Chof Beis Shvat. Any ideas?
Unread 02-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #11
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

I'm not sure the age of the crowd you are dealing with, but a popular option for girls is the "tznius fashion show."

Another might be decorating picture frames (that girls could then all get a picture of the Rebbetzin to go with).

Another that comes to mind, but which I have not heard of anyone doing. Get a collection of quotes from the Rebbe, Rebbetzin and maybe other places and do a "who said it" game.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #12
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshulam View Post
With men, the secret two words are "free food." I understand it may not be like that for girls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingeleh View Post
The best way to touch a mans heart is to go through the stomach.
Perhaps. But I would imagine that if there's junk food available, most people will go for it (except me, that is).

Unread 02-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #13
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

http://www.megamillions.com/

If you need some marketing tips , you can announce that at the END of the farbrengen everyone coming o the farbrengen is going to particpate in a raffle for 73 millions , or wathever the megamillions fund is (just 1 dollar the ticket),and the winner can donate to something to different mosdos, or to share with the other Farbrengen's participants

once you have all the ppl there, then you make a powerful farbrengen, a good mashpia ,someone with content,who speaks from his/her to the crowd's heart. At the end of the farbrengen,nobody is going to care so much for the millions, and you give them the tickets and with heir new emunah,knowing that if Hashem choose them to get the millions ,good and if not ,also good
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #14
ktonton
Silver Member

I know that fabrengens in the old days used to be more intimate, more sharing. People would get together, sing chassidic melodies, and talk to each other, both about their insights and their nisyonos, and people would discuss the insight (or the rebbe's insight) and give chizzuk (or the occasional gentle hearted correction).

I wonder if that might be a greater draw for the fabrengen. The chance for an open ended fabrengen, where everyone shares.
ktonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Except that you'd have to find a way to draw serious people. Also, I think that the more people, the less serious. But whatever.

Unread 02-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #16
ktonton
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorthinker View Post
Except that you'd have to find a way to draw serious people. Also, I think that the more people, the less serious. But whatever.
and I think that once you show the girls that they can share, whatever they need to share, what ever discovery they made, or whatever nisayon they have, and that everyone else will respond well, then others will share too.

So I guess you just need a core of girls who are very serious to control the enviornment so that the other girls can feel safe to open up.
ktonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #17
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktonton View Post
I know that fabrengens in the old days used to be more intimate, more sharing. People would get together, sing chassidic melodies, and talk to each other, both about their insights and their nisyonos, and people would discuss the insight (or the rebbe's insight) and give chizzuk (or the occasional gentle hearted correction).
Those farbrengens still happen. The fact that every speaking event is called "farbrengen" has given rise to a new definition by many, who think "farbrengen" means "good speaker".
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #18
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
Those farbrengens still happen. The fact that every speaking event is called "farbrengen" has given rise to a new definition by many, who think "farbrengen" means "good speaker".
Agreed 100% with the factual analysis, and the implied judgment. :-D
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #19
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktonton View Post
and I think that once you show the girls that they can share, whatever they need to share, what ever discovery they made, or whatever nisayon they have, and that everyone else will respond well, then others will share too.

So I guess you just need a core of girls who are very serious to control the enviornment so that the other girls can feel safe to open up.
Who wants to share if it isn't mutual? No one wants to do a "farbrengen-show" for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
This is a result of false advertising- and it will take quite a bit of effort to uproot the effects.

It's funny, the best "farbrengens" I have- or the closest to an ideal farbrengen- is with a friend who isn't even Chabad, just a "chassid" of Rav Kook, and a spiritual role-model.