Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Chassidus > The Rebbe’s Talks & Writings > Discussion on Sichos of 5751-5752

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 04-09-2002, 10:07 PM   #1
tova

chof ches nissan

Tonight is Chof Ches Nisson, the night of that the Rebbe said those famous words eleven years ago. "I have done everthing that I could to bring Moshiach, I'm giving the rest into your hands"
The following Shabbos, he told his shocked Chassidim what WE can do specifically to hasten the coming of Moshiach: LEARN INYONEI GEULAH AND MOSHIACH! Later on, he added more details.
Tonight is a night of reflection for each one us. It is a night where we search deep into ourselves and see what we are not doing yet, since Moshiach is not here. Never has the situation been worse than it is today. Never has there been a greater need for Moshiach. And never has there been more manpower to accomplish that goal.
WE CAN DO IT! If the Rebbe gave us a mission, he gave us the Koichois to fulfill it. START NOW! The time to start learning, doing and improving starts this minute, not tomorrow, the next day or next month.
I humbly suggest that we can each gain something from the Inyonei Geulah and Moshiach Forum. So do it, learn something to bring Moshiach NOW!
Unread 04-10-2002, 09:23 AM   #2
Jude
Executive Platinum Member

I would add that it seems sad to me that the non-controversy Moshiach section of this forum such as those threads found in the Rebbe's Talks and Writings, and the Discussion about Moshiach section in Discuss Judaism, are not regularly found among "today's active threads".
The Rebbe said that learning inyanei Moshiach and Geula is the derech ha'yeshara (straight path) towards actualizing the Geula. This is not meant as a segula. Rather, by learning and applying what one learns, one reveals the Geula reality which the Rebbe says we already have.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2002, 04:50 AM   #3
noahidelaws

BS"D Froim shmais.com:

IF WE HAD CRIED OUT "AD MOSAI!" WITH AN EMES...
THE 28TH OF NISSAN 11 YEARS AGO

Today marks 11 years to the day since the Rebbe said the famous Sicha of Chof-Ches Nissan that included the following:

"Because of the unique stress on the Redemption in this time, an astonishing question arises: How is it possible that despite all these factors, Moshiach has not yet come? This is beyond all possible comprehension.

"It is also beyond comprehension that when ten (and many times ten) Jews gather together at a time that is appropriate for the Redemption to come, they do not raise a clamor great enough to cause Moshiach to come immediately. They are, heaven forbid, able to accept the possibility that Moshiach will not arrive tonight, and even that he will not arrive tomorrow, or on the day after tomorrow, heaven forbid.

"Even when people cry out `Ad mosai -- Until when will we remain in exile?' they do so only because they were told to. If they had sincere intent and earnest desire, and cried out in truth, Moshiach would surely have come already.

"What more can I do to motivate the entire Jewish people to clamor and cry out, and thus actually bring about the coming of Moshiach. All that has been done until now has been to no avail, for we are still in exile; moreover, we are in an inner exile in regard to our own service of G-d.

"All that I can possibly do is to give the matter over to you. Now, do everything you can to bring Moshiach, here and now, immediately.

"May it be G-d's will that ultimately ten Jews will be found who are stubborn enough to resolve to secure G-d's consent to actually bring about the true and ultimate Redemption, here and now immediately. Their stubborn resolve will surely evoke G-d's favor, as reflected by the interpretation of the verse, `For they are a stiff necked people; You will pardon our sins and wrongdoings and make us Your possession.'

"I have done whatever I can; from now on, you must do whatever you can. May it be G-d's will that there will be one, two, or three among you who will appreciate what needs to be done and how it needs to be done, and may you actually be successful and bring about the true and complete Redemption. May this take place immediately, in a spirit of happiness and gladness of heart."

Last edited by noahidelaws; 04-11-2002 at 05:06 AM.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2002, 06:32 AM   #4
noahidelaws

THE 28TH OF NISSAN 12 YEARS AGO

How the Rebbe Responded to Terrorist Threats

On the 28th of Nissan, 5750 (April 1990) the Rebbe was notified that P.L.O. terrorists were threatening to attack various targets throughout the world. The following is the Rebbe's response, freely translated.

I was notified that the P.L.O. has given instructions to all its branches worldwide to strike at targets throughout the world, G-d forbid.

It is therefore necessary to invoke and emphasize the blessings from G-d to all Jews in all places, in all their needs. Primarily the most needed blessing is the miracle of the complete and perfect Redemption through Moshiach (whom we await every day that his coming not be delayed even as much as the blink of an eye). These blessings should be emphasized with complete trust and confidence, as well as with joy and gladness of heart.

We should especially fulfill the directive of the Chabad Rebbes, "Think good and it will be good."

This means that thinking positively causes the course of events to actually turn out good.

This information should be utilized not to scare anyone, G-d forbid, but rather in the positive sense, to enhance the service of the Jewish people in the study of Torah and the observance of mitzvos.

On the verse (Gen.), "The voice is the voice of Jacob," our Sages tell us that the power of the Jewish people is with "our mouth." Through our heartfelt prayers and Torah learning we can eliminate the plans of "the hands of Esau," the terrible schemes of our enemies.

Thus there should be additional activities in Torah study and prayer and in mitzvos in general.

Special emphasis should be placed on studying Torah diligently. For our Sages explain the verse, "If you will follow my statutes" to mean that if you will labor in Torah... "I will grant peace in the land. You will sleep without fear."

Through Torah study we eliminate all negative things and they are even transformed to good.

Also, additional prayers should be said. Keeping with the spirit of "thinking positive" it would be advisable to recite daily an extra three chapters of Psalms. One of these three chapters should be the final chapter of Psalms (ch. 150) which concludes with the verse, "Let every being that has a soul praise G-d." This means that every man, woman and child praises and gives thanks to G-d for His benevolence, and for the blessings and good fortune that He bestows upon us and will continue to bestow upon us.

It would also be appropriate to add in the giving of charity.

Although "fasting" is out of place (especially in the context of "thinking positive") this does not contradict the giving of charity to redeem a fast.

It would be appropriate to give charity in the amount of two meals, and even better in the amount of three meals. This charity should preferably go to support people who learn Torah or institutions involved in disseminating Torah.

Certainly these directives will be publicized in all Jewish communities, to all Jews, men, women and children.

Emphasis must be placed however, to be very cautious not to scare anyone, G-d forbid. Rather, the purpose is to inspire everyone to enhance their Torah study and mitzvah observance, with true bitachon, complete trust and confidence, with joy and a glad heart.

The main thing is that the resolutions regarding the above should hasten and quicken the concept of "think good and it will be good" in actuality starting from the ultimate good-the complete and perfect Redemption through Moshiach.
from shmais.com
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2002, 03:43 PM   #5
HoravDave
Silver Member

How are we supposed to regard the day of 28 Nisson?
Some regard it as a Yom Tov While others consider it a sad day i'm confused
HoravDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2002, 05:40 PM   #6
Jude

could you elaborate? I never heard it referred to as either a sad day OR a yomtov!
Unread 08-22-2002, 05:07 PM   #7
DTL

Lohevel Vilorik

Can anyone please clearly explain the lohevel vilorik statement, which the Rebbe clearly said, and also, why was it taken out of the printed version? Thank you.
Unread 08-22-2002, 05:26 PM   #8
Jude

background:
the term is from a talk the Rebbe gave on 28 Nissan 5751. The Rebbe said and the printed version states: <<How is it that Moshiach hasn't come yet? This is just not at all understandable! What's also shocking is that ten (many tens) of Jews gather, and in an auspicious time for Geula, yet they don't make a tumult to make Moshiach come immediately. And it's not impossible, as far as they're concerned, r'l, that Moshiach not come tonight, and not tomorrow either, nor the day after, r'l!

Even when they shout ad mosai, it's because they were told, for if they intended and asked it and shouted it for real, Moshiach would certainly have come already.

What more could I do so that all Jews make a tumult and truly cry out and do what it takes to bring Moshiach, after everything which was done until now did not help, the proof being that we're still in galus, and more importantly, in an inner galus in matters of avodas Hashem.

The only thing I can do is give this over to you: do all that you can, in a way of oros d'tohu but in vessels of tikkun - to actually bring Moshiach immediately.

May there finally be ten Jews who stubbornly insist that Hashem bring the Geula, and certainly they'll succeed.

In order to further hasten things, I will give each of you shlichus mitzva for tzedaka. I did my part, and from here-on-in, you do all you can. May there be one, two, three people who plan what to do and how to do it, and most importantly, to make the true and complete Geula happen immediately and through simcha and tuv leivav.>>

the Rebbe orally said that what he had done thus far was l'hevel v'la'rik - for naught, and also said that this sicha too would be printed, published, and put on the shelf. These comments were edited out.

What don't you understand about the phrase? Whatever the Rebbe had done up till that time was for naught insofar as achieving the goal.
Unread 08-22-2002, 05:58 PM   #9
DTL

Lohevel Vilorik is a much stronger term than for naught, it is more like worthless. Did the Rebbe mean that everything he did was worthless ch"v just because it didn't happen yet? And all the inyonim, even though they are a means to an end but aren’t they also an end to themselves?
And why was it edited out, and by whom?
Unread 08-22-2002, 06:46 PM   #10
Jude

it reminds me of the story of the gadol who asked the Rebbe Rashab why he was so upset, when they had tried their best to achieve the results they wanted? The Rebbe Rashab's answer was - but we didn't achieve the goal!

about the editing - those who wrote up the sichos presented them to the Rebbe in the way they thought the Rebbe would want it. They left the point in, but chose to word it less sharply.
Unread 08-22-2002, 06:57 PM   #11
DTL

<<<The Rebbe Rashab's answer was - but we didn't achieve the goal! >>>>
That was when the czarists ym”sh were trying to pass a new law and the Rebbe Rashab wanted to stop it, right? Over there, there was just the goal, over here the Rebbe's inyonim are an end to themselves also. The terminology just doesn't seem to klep in my grubba kop. I thought maybe there was some explanation that even I could understand.
As to the editing, why would they think that the Rebbe would want it less sharp?
Unread 08-23-2002, 11:27 AM   #12
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

As Jude posted in humor about Common Sense passing on - why can't Lohevel Velorik mean what it simply means? For 40 years as Nosi, and more before, the Rebbe worked for the coming of Moshiach, and the goal of the coming of Moshiach has not been accomplished! When Moshiach comes, it will have born fruit!

So by continuing the work the Rebbe did, we will be the flies on a giant's shoulders who finish the work!

As far as editing, yes there where times the Rebbe said things, and even said about printing them, and then edited them out. Especially when in this case it seems more to have been a shtech at the trend right then to make public every Tnuah of the Rebbe, but not necessarily make sure the Horoos were followed.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2002, 07:09 PM   #13
vusveisichuber
Executive Member

Is there ever a time where the Rebbe used an expression and did not mean it to be taken literally? If yes, could this have been one of those times? (Before you lose your minds over the question, this is said about expressions of the gemoroh)
Unread 08-27-2002, 04:05 PM   #14
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

It's a good day to Farbreng
hishtatchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2002, 12:05 AM   #15
untervegens
Silver Member

of course the Rebbe said many things which aren't meant to be taken literaly. In general in Torah that's true. For example when Kabolo talks about Tzimtzum it is not meant to be taken literaly. Same way when the Rebbe says about the Frierdiker Rebbe that he is alive, it is not meant literaly (what we would perceive as the literal meaning of it, although the true meaning of alive means take ruchniusdike life as explained in Chasidus).
About the statement "lohevel velorik" I don't know what the Rebbe meant. The fact that it's not in the printed Sicha doesn't mean that the Rebbe didn't say it. I heard it with my own ears, and I am not sure what it means. Perhaps the explanation could be, that just like Torah compared to Torah Chadosho of Moshiach is called Hevel, so too compared to the Ikker - Geulo bepoel - all the greatest things are Hevel.
Whenever the Sicha of 28 Nisan is brought up, I cannot resist to point out what the Rebbe said is the "veod VEHU HOIKKER" that we didn't get out of our Golus Pnimi in Inyonei Avodas Hashem!
veda"l veka"l...
Unread 09-24-2002, 10:28 AM   #16
bocaj

How about considering the possibility that the Rebbe meant it literally - a profound outcry of grief and disillusionment in clearly foreseeing what is happening in Lubavitch (as unfortunately we are witnessing since chof-zayin Adar, and more so after gimmel Tamuz), and how this has affected the world at large (frum and non-frum). It was probably the most earth-shattering statement the Rebbe ever made, but he took it out of the to-be-printed version for divrei dfus leave an impact that choliloh remains etc. Thus it was a nevuoh of divrei puroniyus, Rachmono litzlon. Yet nevuoh of divrei puroniyus need not be fulfilled (Yessodei Hatorah10:4) - for efshar she'ossu teshuvoh venislach lohem ke'anshei Ninvei etc.. Thus these words were a warning and divrei hisoirerus - you people better shape up and clean up your act (as was the tone and content of the whole sichoh, and in these words spelling it out as graphically as possible). Hayoitzeh midvoreinu: these words were said, we remember them and are meant to remember them even if they were not printed, to keep them before our eyes, and in our ears, and in our hearts and minds to act upn them: vayoimer aleihem simu levavchem LECHOL hadvorim asher onoichi mei'id bochem hayoim ... ki loi dovor reik hu mikem ki hu chayeichem etc. (ve'im ch"v dovor reik, thinking that it was ch"v a "slip of the tongue" and not meant in the literal sense, then - hu mikem!!!). Now lechatchilo ariber, ve'ach toiv leYisroel!
bocaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 12:19 PM   #17
Jude

A doctor described his last physics course as an undergraduate, entitled Mathematical Methods in Physics. On the first day of class, the professor told them that there would be only one test, the final exam, and that it would consist of only one problem.

All he wanted was the answer to that problem, accurate to four decimal places, written on a scrap of paper above their names.

If they were right to all four decimal places, they would get an A. If not, they'd fail. Simple as that.

Of course there was an uproar. One test?! One answer?! Didn't he even want to know how they set up the problem? If they knew what they were doing?

The professor said, no. Welcome to the real world where people want answers, correct, accurate answers. If a bridge collapses and kills forty people, who cares whether the engineers set up the problem correctly? In life there is no partial credit for being half right. If you want to accomplish anything important, you have to be completely right, and be willing to take the consequences if you're not.
Unread 04-29-2003, 05:36 PM   #18
Jude

"May there be one, two, three people who plan what to do and how to do it, and most importantly, to make the true and complete Geula happen immediately and through simcha and tuv leivav."

Are YOU one of the one, two, three people? Do you know anybody who is? (Clearly, at the time the Rebbe said this, NOBODY fit this category! ) Are we asking ourselves this question?
Unread 04-29-2003, 06:58 PM   #19
rebbelution

I think it's so important to hear the Rebbe saying these words. It brings you to a knew reality.
The Rebbe knew what he has done for this world, more than anyone else since sheshes yemei bereishis, and still nothing. But rather than it meaning that there is no point in what he has done it was more of a kickstart for us. To hear such a statement from the Rebbe sends you flying.We really have been relying on the Rebbe to do it all for us, and when we hear the Rebbe saying in such osyos that he is so to speak helpless, 'lohevel velorik' sends big shockwaves through us all.
Let's hope after so many years, maybe we can find within us the one, two or three.
Unread 04-29-2003, 07:09 PM   #20
rebbelution

It's scary when we hear the Rebbe saying that if only one, two, three people would really be bothered, then Moshiach would be here already!!!
Do any of us really care? If so where is Moshiach?
i would just like to suggest that maybe collectively we could equal one of these people the Rebbe wants. If everyone learns one small vort about Moshiach every day, if only a couple of lines, we will hopefully be zoche to spend Chof Ches Nissan 5763 with the Rebbe umitoich simcha vetuv leivov. Omein Now!!!
Unread 04-29-2003, 07:51 PM   #21
mingmen

bringing moshiach

I have a little idea. If we have the sicha about how we will learn with moshiach, and we know that to bring moshiach we should behave as tho he/she has arrived, why don't we try to learn not just with our external senses, but with our inner eye, our inner ear (our heart). and not just the words of what we learn, but to allow the true meaning to permeate our being and transform us from the inside out. sometimes the greatest learning reaches us not just in a page of gemara or a sicha, but in the little moments and events all around us.

the wise will understand
mingmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2003, 08:04 PM   #22
Jude

he/she
what's THAT about?
Unread 04-29-2003, 08:15 PM   #23
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jude
he/she
what's THAT about?
It must be a mistranslation from the Aramaic...you know: mashiach/meshichah.

Last edited by Yankel Nosson; 04-29-2003 at 08:23 PM.
Yankel Nosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2003, 12:21 PM   #24
Gevurah
Executive Diamond Member

he/she wants to include you.
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2003, 08:41 PM   #25
chassidus
Silver Member

And the Rebbe said that learning Inyonie Moshiach u'Geulah doesn't mean just the books on it they print. It means to connect everything one learns in Nigleh and Chassidus to Moshiach.

Also, I don't think it is enough for us to learn personally, we have to set our goal at bringing Moshiach to the world. We have to think as big and as outgoing as possible. Make a plan of how you would take over the world for Moshiach and then start doing it. This is the Oros of Tohu in the Kelim of Tikkun.

Also, the written word is called the Kelim of Tikkun (by the Tz.Tz. in Inyonim). We have to take what we believe and bring it into clear enough terms to write down and give to any Tom Dick or Harry so he will understand.