Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Torah

Unread 03-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
chad

Learning Hebrew through Torah?

Hello there. This is my first post here, hope it all comes out right.

I'm a goy with an ever growing interest in Torah and conversion into Judaism. I've been trying off and on, unsuccessfully, to meet up with a Chabad rabbi in town to discuss conversion, even though he himself can (or will) not do so.

I've been studying Parshas HaShavua since Bereishit, with the wonderful Gutnick Chumash, and have been desiring more and more to read this in the Hebrew. I also have some of the older volumes of Rabbi Samson Hirsch's Pentateuch, which provides great depth into the meaning of particular spellings, wordings, etc.

What I'd love to know is - how did you all learn Hebrew, and how would you recommend to one such as myself, in a town with no orthodox shul. I have been considering picking up the Sapirstein Rashi Chumash in five volumes, as this seems it would help with some of the linguistic nitpickings - but what of a dictionary or linguistic key? Most of what I can find through internet searching is from the Xtian perspective of their Old Testament (refracted through Greek mindset, I can only imagine), and am wondering if someone has greater recommendations than the Brown Driver Briggs, or Gesinius - something that may provide examples of the different roots with vowels and all, would be lovely.

Thank you all for keeping alive something of such immense wisdom and beauty.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

If there is a Chabad rabbi in town, then there is an orthodox shul--or does he not hold services?
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
danzinger
Executive Member

This course in Biblical Hebrew is run by the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.
Unread 03-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
chad

noahidelaws, I've google searched, and even inquired to the Chabad house in town, and found nothing regarding an orthodox shul in town (Madison, WI, if you're curious). I can't say whether this rabbi holds services or not, as I've difficulty enough in getting him to respond to my emails. Will keep trying, however - or maybe it'd be a better idea to try contacting another? And regarding Hebrew, I can't imagine the non-orthodox synagogues are that in depth in what they teach - or should i not be so presumptuos?

danzinger, thank you, however, that appears to be costing money, and I'd much rather throw down for a book or three that will stay around for a good portion of my life, than for courses and tutors which I feel will provide less in comparison, ultimately. Then again, I'm not sure how eteacher works their way.

Additionally, and this is directed at neither of you in particular, I've got the Reader's Hebrew Bible, and The Fist Hebrew Primer, both of which have been beneficial.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

I learned English by reading the whole Tanakh in English...
Unread 03-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

I learned English (the little I know) with English translations of Likutei sichos and Shiurim beSEfer haTanya
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote