Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > The World of Lubavitch

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 10-07-2003, 03:09 PM   #1
gezetzt
Executive Member

The Niggun: "Harabi Shalita"

L’kavod Z’mam Simchaseinu:

Reb Yisroel Duchman (niftar 5749) – would for many years be the Chazzan for Shacharit on Simchas Torah in 770,
One year while holding the Sefer Torah (Simchas Torah during Shacharit) he started to sing "Harebbe Shalita" in front of the Rebbe, and since then he continued this “Minhag” every Simchas Torah! The Rebbe Acknoleged this by making with his head and hand.

[ BTW: This “Minhag” his son Sholom Duchman still does on Simchas Torah in the Rebbes room - even after gimel tammuz – (is this a chilul Lubavitch???!!!)

A Freilichin Yom Tov, A goot Yor!
gezetzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
Jude
Executive Platinum Member

In HaTomim there was an article about the Hadar haTorah yeshiva in Bat Yam which tells who wrote the song, “ha'Rebbe Shlita, Ein Komocha beOlom.” This was sung before the Rebbe on Simchas Torah, and on several occasions the Rebbe actively encouraged the Chassidim to sing it.

the author of the song was Hatomim Amichai Elcuhal, z”l, who used to study at the yeshiva.

Amichai, z”l, dedicated himself to his studies day and night, and he possessed all of the kabbalos ol of the Tmimim who existed in previous generations. Whenever he spoke to his rabbonim, Amichai would carry a notebook with him to record everything he had heard. He was also very dedicated to mivtzoim, and particularly to Tzivos Hashem because he loved children.

As part of these activities, he wrote the famous song, “ha'Rebbe Shlita, Ein Komocha beOlom” …

In 1980, Amichai, z”l, was diagnosed with a serious illness. He visited the Rebbe during Tishrei, 5741, and passed away a year later.

Ha'Rebbi Shlita (it's pronounced "Rabee")

Ha'Rebbi shlita, Ha'Rebbi shlita, ein kamocha ba'olam,
Ha'Rebbi shlita, ha'Rebbi shlita, ohavim otcha kulam.

V'heishiv lev avot al banim,
b'keiruvam shel kol ha'Yehudim,

b'ahavat Yisrael u'shneim asar ha'pesukim
navi bimheira ha'go'el,

yachad, b'lev echad,
v'kulam, peh echad,

al yidei ha'Ramatkal ha'gadol mikulam,
nitgaber al ha'olam.

TRANSLATION:

The Rebbe shlita, the Rebbe shlita, there's no one like you in the world,
The Rebbe shlita, the Rebbe shlita, everyone loves you.

And he returns the hearts of fathers through the children,
in drawing close all Jews,

with Ahavas Yisrael and the 12 pesukim,
we will quickly bring the Redeemer,

together, with one heart,
and everyone, with one voice

via/through the General who's greatest of all,
we'll overpower the world.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 03:21 PM   #3
rebayzl
Senior Diamond Member

You forgot to add that the source of this "Niggun" was an advertising jingle on the Israely Radio/tv at that time, that adertised some product (with similar words).
rebayzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 03:25 PM   #4
stamayid
Silver Member

I vaguely recall from a visit to Israel in the early eighties that there was a cartoon called Barba Abba that had it as the theme song.
Unread 10-07-2003, 03:37 PM   #5
rebayzl
Senior Diamond Member

Right, that's what it was.
Unread 10-07-2003, 04:20 PM   #6
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

Once the Rebbe encourages a song, doesn't that secure its "Niggun" status?
hishtatchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 05:18 PM   #7
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

And my theory is, that the niggun was good for R' YD, in the situation he was in when he sang the niggun...
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 12:02 AM   #8
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

Didn't the Rebbe encourage it when others sang it as well?
Unread 10-08-2003, 08:23 AM   #9
Rachelle

If my memory serves me correctly, the Rebbe once sharply criticised this pop-song, denouncing how such things could be said about a bossor vedom (human being), let alone in his presence. Indeed it is fitting for one in the "state" of YD as he was on Simchas Torah, i.e., legally incompetent and not liable to accountability, as pointed out by Torah613.
Rachelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 08:44 AM   #10
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

Source?
Unread 10-08-2003, 11:13 AM   #11
Jude

hmmm, yet I've seen a post Rosh Hashana kos shel bracha video in which the Rebbe strongly encourages the singing of Ha'Rabbi Shlita. So much for theories of inebriation and lies about the Rebbe's condemnation of it.
Unread 10-08-2003, 12:11 PM   #12
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

Actually, the song had very mixed reactions. At times the Rebbe stopped the singing, at times it was encouraged. Dunno what the difference was.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 12:23 PM   #13
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

My personal issue with the song is the source of the tune. Once the Rebbe encourages it, that can't be a problem. I don't understand what's wrong with the words- nothing is said that seems offensive. Anyone care to enlighten me?
Unread 10-08-2003, 12:27 PM   #14
rebayzl
Senior Diamond Member

Hish, do you think it is usually acceptable behavior (outside of a political campaign) that a person should encourage a song that is directed at HIM: Your are the Greatest and there is no one like you in this world?
Unread 10-08-2003, 12:36 PM   #15
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

Yes- people say this to their parents, children, students, teachers- anyone with whom they have a personal connection.

If you prefer, take the song as stating an opinion rather than a fact- but if you didn't feel so threatened, I don't think you'd find it an issue at all.
Unread 10-08-2003, 12:40 PM   #16
rebayzl
Senior Diamond Member

Of course people say it, but do the parents and teachers ENCOURAGE THEM to continue? In Public?
Unread 10-08-2003, 01:07 PM   #17
Jude

but the Rebbe did
tough luck
Unread 10-08-2003, 01:20 PM   #18
rebayzl
Senior Diamond Member

I was just trying to explain to Hish why this is not as smooth as she thinks it is.
Unread 10-08-2003, 02:00 PM   #19
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jude
hmmm, yet I've seen a post Rosh Hashana kos shel bracha video in which the Rebbe strongly encourages the singing of Ha'Rabbi Shlita. So much for theories of inebriation and lies about the Rebbe's condemnation of it.
The "theory" about inebriation is not theory - it is fact. That is how the song started (I was there). The condemnation - I don't know about.
Unread 10-08-2003, 02:42 PM   #20
masbir
Senior Diamond Member

As the Rebbe said, gesturing by a niggun, doesnt mean he supports the content.

Chevra,

The meshichistim cant accept that, since their whole foundation of Yechi and in extension their whole Yidishkeit, is based on the notion that by motions the Rebe supported the words. Which is nonesense as we know about the song Chayolei.
masbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 06:07 PM   #21
Jude

Quote:
The "theory" about inebriation is not theory - it is fact
what relevance is there to that fact? did the Rebbe indicate that this was relevant? No. So why mention it? And during the kos shel bracha that I saw on video - nobody was drunk. So what's your point?

the Rebbe encouraged it - sounds quite smooth to me
seems odd? lots of things are odd, including some hanhagos of the Rebbe

re the Rebbe's comment about content - we know you think that the Rebbe, for mysterious reasons known only to him, likes letting us know what tunes he likes

the only way you have to dismiss the Rebbe's approval of Ha'Rabi Shlita and Yechi is to make the Rebbe into a fool which is quite offensive to Chasidim and has no place on this forum.
Unread 10-08-2003, 06:35 PM   #22
gezetzt
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachelle
If my memory serves me correctly, the Rebbe once sharply criticised this pop-song, denouncing how such things could be said about a bossor vedom (human being), let alone in his presence. Indeed it is fitting for one in the "state" of YD as he was on Simchas Torah, i.e., legally incompetent and not liable to accountability, as pointed out by Torah613.
Please forgive me – but in this case your memory does not serve you correctly.

SHANA TOVA
Unread 10-08-2003, 06:36 PM   #23
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
the only way you have to dismiss the Rebbe's approval of Ha'Rabi Shlita and Yechi is to make the Rebbe into a fool which is quite offensive to Chasidim and has no place on this forum.
So how do you explain the Rebbe's apparent acceptance of the song Chayolei, and then his total rejection of it. Was he making a ...(insert the word that Jude used in reference to the Rebbe! - C"V!) of himself?
I would suggest, that the language used by self professed "haiseh chassidim" about the Rebbe, have no place on this forum, even if they think they are sticking up for the rebbe's kovod!
Unread 10-08-2003, 06:38 PM   #24
gezetzt
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Torah613
And my theory is, that the niggun was good for R' YD, in the situation he was in when he sang the niggun...
The Rebbe encouraged this Niggun Many times – not only when Reb Yisroel Duchman sang it.
Unread 10-08-2003, 06:45 PM   #25
gezetzt
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Torah613

So how do you explain the Rebbe's apparent acceptance of the song Chayolei, and then his total rejection of it. Was he making a ...(insert the word that Jude used in reference to the Rebbe! - C"V!) of himself?
I would suggest, that the language used by self professed "haiseh chassidim" about the Rebbe, have no place on this forum, even if they think they are sticking up for the rebbe's kovod!
Oh no not that again…. so much was already written about this Niggun...

Just to add:

Reb Yoel Kahan once explained that although the Rebbe said what he said on Shabbos Noach 5752 about the Niggun “Chayolai Adonainu” – the Rebbe Was not against it.