Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Chassidus

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Unread 10-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
EveryLeaf
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21
Chassidus

How would you briefly explain Chassidus to someone who doesn't really know too much (or anything) about it?

What are the main points?

One cannot be a Chossid without knowing __________________. (please complete)

Thanks
EveryLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
mvakeshet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLeaf View Post
How would you briefly explain Chassidus to someone who doesn't really know too much (or anything) about it?

What are the main points?

One cannot be a Chossid without knowing __________________. (please complete)

Thanks
It sounds like you're assuming that being a chossid is dependent on knowledge.
Is it?
mvakeshet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Shabbos
Senior Member
 
Shabbos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 123
Quote:
It sounds like you're assuming that being a chossid is dependent on knowledge.
Is it?
Chabad chassidus definitely is, that's why it's CHABAD. In terms of other types of chassidus, maybe you could say that you only have to DO something to be a chossid, like having hiskashrus to a Rebbe. On the other hand, you could say that you have to know something in order to do, like knowing the importance of having a Rebbe...
Shabbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Fesoy
Executive Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 296
Fill in the blank with: Chassidus
Fesoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fesoy View Post
Fill in the blank with: Chassidus
I would fill in the blank with : Nigleh and Chassidus
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLeaf View Post
How would you briefly explain Chassidus to someone who doesn't really know too much (or anything) about it?

What are the main points?
You may want to look in the index of Hayom Yom.

The following seem to be fundamental and basic:
2 Adar 1, 21 Adar 1, 30 Adar 1, 19 Adar 2
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
mvakeshet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 152
Ein oid milvadoi- there is none else -not none other-outside of Him.

Last edited by mvakeshet; 10-17-2009 at 11:01 PM.
mvakeshet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Shabbos
Senior Member
 
Shabbos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 123
A related question...

How do you describe what Tanya is to someone who doesn't really get what chassidus is and isn't patient enough to sit through more than two sentences of explanation?
Shabbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #9
mvakeshet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbos View Post
Chabad chassidus definitely is, that's why it's CHABAD. In terms of other types of chassidus, maybe you could say that you only have to DO something to be a chossid, like having hiskashrus to a Rebbe. On the other hand, you could say that you have to know something in order to do, like knowing the importance of having a Rebbe...
I know... But I think all the knowledge is supposed to lead to a certain type of avodah, and I don't know if one should consider himself a chossid in the truest sense of the word if the knowledge doesn't effect any change in him...
mvakeshet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
Shabbos
Senior Member
 
Shabbos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvakeshet View Post
I know... But I think all the knowledge is supposed to lead to a certain type of avodah, and I don't know if one should consider himself a chossid in the truest sense of the word if the knowledge doesn't effect any change in him...
Very true. So we could say, you can't be a chabad chossid without knowing chassidus, but you can know chassidus without being a chossid.
Shabbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
mvakeshet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbos View Post
Very true. So we could say, you can't be a chabad chossid without knowing chassidus, but you can know chassidus without being a chossid.
well put
mvakeshet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 12:13 AM   #12
EveryLeaf
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21
Fesoy: Remember, you haven't yet specified what chassidus is.

Chossidnistar: ditto, and what is nigleh?

mvakeshet: which question are you answering- first, second, third or all at one shot?

emes m'eretz: would it be possible for you to tell me what is written there? I really would appreciate it.
EveryLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #13
EveryLeaf
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvakeshet View Post
I know... But I think all the knowledge is supposed to lead to a certain type of avodah, and I don't know if one should consider himself a chossid in the truest sense of the word if the knowledge doesn't effect any change in him...
Is it even possible to really know (in the truest sense of the word) chassidus without being affected by it?

Is knowledge without internalization really knowing?
EveryLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 02:25 AM   #14
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLeaf View Post
emes m'eretz: would it be possible for you to tell me what is written there? I really would appreciate it.

http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...h/2-Adar-I.htm

http://www.chabad.org/library/articl.../21-Adar-I.htm

http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...sh-Chodesh.htm

http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...19-Adar-II.htm

emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 02:34 AM   #15
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbos View Post
A related question...

How do you describe what Tanya is to someone who doesn't really get what chassidus is and isn't patient enough to sit through more than two sentences of explanation?
Maybe you can start by relating the story (if I remember correctly) of Rabbi Levi Yitzchok from Barditchev; that when he first saw the Tanya, he expressed amazement that the Alter Rebbe was able to put such a great G-d into such a small book.

Then, if the person expresses interest in knowing more, you can explain a bit about how G-d is everywhere, and creates everything constantly.

Then, if there is an interest for more, you can explain how we have potential to reveal G-dliness in the world, and thus prepare the world for Moshiach.

And so on. If there continues to be more interest, you can continue to give out brief ideas in accordance with the interest.
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #16
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLeaf View Post
... haven't yet specified what chassidus is....what is nigleh?
Nigleh (meaning revealed) is used to refer to learning Torah (Chumash, mishnah, talmud etc..) at an apparent, surface level.

Chassidus are teachings that explore the above (chumash etc..) in a deeper way. It is referred to as nistar (hidden) and pnimiyus (inner) because it reveals the deeper dimensions of Torah.

Chassidus also directly addresses issues of man, G-d, world, Torah etc; analyzes and explains these, and draws from the Chumash etc. to illuminate these issues.
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #17
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,192
It may be safe to say that there are different levels.

I once heard that someone asked the Rebbe how he can be his chosid. And the Rebbe answered, "If you follow my directives, you are my chosid."
(A similar idea was posted by Shabbos in post #3).

I think that even though the ultimate chosid is one who is very holy and has changed himself tremendously, to the point where some chasidim (like Itche the Masmid) were referred to as beinonim; nevertheless there may be levels of learning Chabad chassidus which may be minimal quantitatively, yet qualitatively priceless.

To illustrate: Supposing someone heard the teaching of the Besht, that when a leaf turns in the wind, it is by Divine Providence for a purpose.

Then he takes a walk, and he sees a leaf falling and turning, and he remembers the Besht's teaching, and he looks around and realizes, and becomes aware and in tune to how Hashem is united with everything, and that everything has a purpose.

This person has taken Chasidus and internalized it. (This idea [of internalizing chasidus] was pointed out in previous posts on this thread.)

So even though it is not the whole chasidus, nevertheless it is an essential point, and it connects him to G-d. And to how G-d unites with us and our world.
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #18
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,192
Then eventually, this increases a person's appetite to know more.
As it says, "One who has 100 wants 200."

And as (I think) the Fridike Rebbe said, "Az gut iz gut, iz besser nit besser?"
(If good is good, is better not better?)
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #19
mvakeshet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLeaf View Post
Is it even possible to really know (in the truest sense of the word) chassidus without being affected by it?

Is knowledge without internalization really knowing?
Good point. Da'as implies internalization, I think.

But I wasn't under the impression that that's what you meant when you asked what one has to know to be a chossid...
mvakeshet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #20
mvakeshet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLeaf View Post
Fesoy: Remember, you haven't yet specified what chassidus is.

Chossidnistar: ditto, and what is nigleh?

mvakeshet: which question are you answering- first, second, third or all at one shot?

emes m'eretz: would it be possible for you to tell me what is written there? I really would appreciate it.
Just quoting what I once heard someone say was the essence of chassidus, but I do think it answers all 3.
mvakeshet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #21
Shabbos
Senior Member
 
Shabbos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by emes m'eretz View Post
Maybe you can start by relating the story (if I remember correctly) of Rabbi Levi Yitzchok from Barditchev; that when he first saw the Tanya, he expressed amazement that the Alter Rebbe was able to put such a great G-d into such a small book.

Then, if the person expresses interest in knowing more, you can explain a bit about how G-d is everywhere, and creates everything constantly.

Then, if there is an interest for more, you can explain how we have potential to reveal G-dliness in the world, and thus prepare the world for Moshiach.

And so on. If there continues to be more interest, you can continue to give out brief ideas in accordance with the interest.
That makes sense. Thanks!

I think another big part is that it's Sefer Shel Beinonim. I guess the answer to a question like this really depends on what kind of person you're talking to.
Shabbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #22
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,192
I remember hearing that every person is a potential beinoni.

So I think that "sefer shel beinonim" can mean (not just that it is for someone who is already a beinoni, but) that it is a sefer which gives guidance to everyone who has the potential to become a beinoni.
So the Alter Rebbe gives guidance for everyone, at whatever level the person may be, to grow and eventually be able to become a beinoni.
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #23
EveryLeaf
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvakeshet View Post
Just quoting what I once heard someone say was the essence of chassidus, but I do think it answers all 3.
"Ein Oid Milvadoi" sounds likes the right answer to all the original questions, but do you think all of Chassidus can be included in it? Would this be the way you would explain Chassidus to somebody who is not a chossid?
EveryLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #24
EveryLeaf
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by emes m'eretz View Post
It may be safe to say that there are different levels.

I once heard that someone asked the Rebbe how he can be his chosid. And the Rebbe answered, "If you follow my directives, you are my chosid... I think that even though the ultimate chosid is one who is very holy and has changed himself tremendously... So even though it is not the whole chasidus, nevertheless it is an essential point, and it connects him to G-d. And to how G-d unites with us and our world.
Different levels of what? Chassidus?

I don't see what you're trying to say.
EveryLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #25
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,192
Different levels of everything.

Different levels of learning chasidus.

Different levels of knowing (internalizing) chasidus.

Different levels of being a chosid.

Etc.
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Key to chassidus Kookoo Kabalist Chassidus 6 05-30-2007 04:19 PM
Therapy vs. Chassidus Zeigezunt The World of Lubavitch 48 12-13-2005 05:19 PM
Succos Chassidus Chabad Friend Chassidus 4 09-28-2004 09:44 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2016 ChabadTalk.com