Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Chinuch

Unread 12-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
raf1988

Cost of Studies in Lubavitcher Yeshivos

I don't know if this subject was ever touched in this forum so I apologize beforehand if I'm being redundant.
The Rebbe wants every Jewish child to have a Jewish (Chassidishe) chinuch. However, I've heard from several people that when it comes to tuition costs, getting your child into Yeshivos is an ordeal.
Needless to mention, non-Lubavitcher Yeshivos where, if you don't come out with the money, your child will be expelled unless you can get some kind of financial aid from the government or the like. I'm not surprised about "misnagdishe" schools as they don't have the same stress on Ahavas Yisroel that Chassidus Chabad has.
However, what has been quite amazing for me, is to hear that when it comes to send your kids to a Lubavitcher Yeshivo or Lubavitcher camp, many times you find that the guy you have to talk to is very, very unyielding and insensitive.
Of course, we are not blind and we know that Yeshivos (like all moisdois) have very high expenses. However, if a parent doesn't have money to send his child to a Yeshiva, should he send him to a public school?
This is a very confusing subject for me and if someone can shed some light it would be great.
Thanks!
raf1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

It seems to me that you are making a statement, not asking a question.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

I hate to break it to you, but often the non-L (so called "misnagdish schools"), especially the more "right wing" ones, are more reasonable when it comes to tuitions.

Some of our mosdos have come up with a simple solution: Just give a working credit card number before school starts, and your kid will be accepted. If not...
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
raf1988

I'm describing a situation. I could be perceiving it wrongly so I'd like to hear others comment about their experiences. Regarding non-Lubavitcher yeshivos, I'm definetely making a statement (I know too many cases) so I wouldn't need this forum to clarify my viewpoint.
Unread 12-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
noahidelaws

I think it's a universal problem in frum schools nowadays.
Unread 12-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf1988 View Post
I'm describing a situation. I could be perceiving it situation wrongly so I'd like to hear others comment about their experiences. Regarding non-Lubavitcher yeshivos, I'm definetely making a statement (I know too many cases) so I wouldn't need this forum to clarify my viewpoint.
In case you didn't notice - I am also making a statement based on first hand conversations with parents.
Unread 12-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
raf1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
Some of our mosdos have come up with a simple solution: Just give a working credit card number before school starts, and your kid will be accepted. If not...
OK. So I'm not so mistaken after all. Shouldn't be the opposite having had the mazl to have such amazing leaders and being exposed to such wonderful teachings? All of a sudden, you find that your kid can't have a Chassidishe Chinuch because your credit line is not enough!
Unread 12-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

ויש להאריך בזה, ובסיבת הדבר, אבל אין המקום מתאים לכך
Unread 12-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

AFAIK, IN mothern orthodox yeshivos is harder ,b/c they are quite expensives (20 K and up)

In Other chassidishe Yeshivos are much softer, and if someone really does not have money, there is not problem, there is always an sponsor

In other orthodox Yeshivos, Lakewood kind, I do not know

And in most Lub Yeshivos are very selectives: if parents are frum PAYYY OR OUT, IF they are not frum, is different
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Quote:
Needless to mention, non-Lubavitcher Yeshivos where, if you don't come out with the money, your child will be expelled unless you can get some kind of financial aid from the government or the like. I'm not surprised about "misnagdishe" schools as they don't have the same stress on Ahavas Yisroel that Chassidus Chabad has.
"Misnagdishe" schools absolutely put an emphasis on ahavas yisroel. I have friends that send to "Lakewood" stream schools that have been incredibly accomodating, particularly to those families involved in Torah-related jobs, and have demonstrated amazing ahavas yisroel. The students in those schools are often also exemplary on this point.

The biggest exception I see to the Ahavas Yisroel is the insistance, from both camps, of denigrating one another.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
noahidelaws

Quote:
I have friends that send to "Lakewood" stream schools that have been incredibly accomodating, particularly to those families involved in Torah-related jobs
This trend is primarily a matter of ahavas haTorah. Not that I have any complaint about; I just believe that it should be defined correctly.
Unread 12-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

I know of beautiful instances of this accomodation that had nothing to do with "Ahavas HaTorah" (not that there is anything wrong CV with Ahavas HaTorah...), and in "Lakewood type schools" (whatever that means...) to boot.
Unread 12-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
raf1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahTovChelkeinu View Post
"Misnagdishe" schools absolutely put an emphasis on ahavas yisroel. I have friends that send to "Lakewood" stream schools that have been incredibly accomodating, particularly to those families involved in Torah-related jobs, and have demonstrated amazing ahavas yisroel. The students in those schools are often also exemplary on this point.

The biggest exception I see to the Ahavas Yisroel is the insistance, from both camps, of denigrating one another.
OK...So, do you think that there's nothing wrong to send a child to an "accomodating" non-Lubavitcher school if he's not accepted in a Lubavitcher school because his parents can't pay the tuition asked ?
Unread 12-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
raf1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
ויש להאריך בזה, ובסיבת הדבר, אבל אין המקום מתאים לכך
Well, I think this forum is to discuss and develop an understanding of the subjects. I've seen much more controversial issues discussed here. The subject of this thread is very down-to-earth and there's nothing wrong to discuss it in an open-minded and honest way.
Unread 12-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #15
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
OK...So, do you think that there's nothing wrong to send a child to an "accomodating" non-Lubavitcher school if he's not accepted in a Lubavitcher school because his parents can't pay the tuition asked ?
vs. public school?
Unread 12-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #16
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
I don't understand the question.
Unread 12-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #17
raf1988

Vs a frum non-Lubavitcher school.
Unread 12-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #18
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

If he is not accepted to the L school - what is the question?
Unread 12-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #19
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

I understood ,that, if ,there is a queston here, it would be public school vs non lub school (being that there is not lub school in the choices)
Unread 12-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #20
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think there are a lot of good reasons that could cause a "Lubavitch" family to send a child to a non-Lubavitch school. Finances is one. Learning disabilities is another. Interpersonal issues with a certain class is another. And the list goes on...

Obviously a Chabad family should l'chatchila want to send their kids to a Chabad school, but if it isn't working, it isn't working.
Unread 12-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #21
raf1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahTovChelkeinu View Post
I think there are a lot of good reasons that could cause a "Lubavitch" family to send a child to a non-Lubavitch school. Finances is one. Learning disabilities is another. Interpersonal issues with a certain class is another. And the list goes on...

Obviously a Chabad family should l'chatchila want to send their kids to a Chabad school, but if it isn't working, it isn't working.
This is a simple post but summarizes everything.
Unread 12-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #22
Yitzy

Let's try to stay on topic - which is the price of tuition in L schools vs non-L schools.

For a discussion about sending a child to a non-L school, when it may or not be warranted etc, see the discussion in the following threads:
http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=816
http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=2240
http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=8640
http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=9200
Yitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #23
Avrami87

I met someone in CH who told me he can't afford the day school(S).
Therefore he was planing to send his children to public school, sign them up for release time, and get a tutor.
Unread 12-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #24
Avrami87

In Baltimore home schooling is quite popular.
Unread 12-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #25
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

The cost of sending children to any kind of private school is extremely high. The lower grades have high costs because the classes need to be kept small and because there is a growing need for special needs teachers, tutors and other learning aids. The higher grades struggle because they have a very difficult time fundraising.

In my opinion, the single largest issue for any frum Jew in politics is to allow some kind of voucher system. If families could get the money designated for their children's public schools and send it the Jewish schools instead... we're talking about tens of thousands of dollars every year paid directly to the schools. Even a thousand dollars per child would make a tremedous difference.