Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Chinuch

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:51 AM   #26
existwhere?
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbos View Post
Just thought I'd add another game that we will IY"H play this week for parshas Shoftim-
After learning a little about the different mitzvos in this parsha, we pick a few people to be the "shoftim", and two other people to come in with a pretend "case". They tell their case to the Shoftim, and based on the halochos that they together know (obviously nothing too confusing or obscure), they decide on the "din" for these people.
Brilliant! THANK YOU! I'm going to have a tough group this week (I invited back a troublemaker) and this game will be perfect.
existwhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #27
Shabbos

Hatzlocha rabbah with that. B"H none of my girls now are real troublemakers, but I've had to deal with them before and it is very difficult. Tell me how the game goes by you.
Shabbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #28
Shabbos

Update: The shoftim game was a big hit!! They got very into it, more than I thought they would. However, it ended up being me telling them what the halochos were as we went along, instead of them thinking of the answers themselves. But that's ok, since they still learned it in the end.
Unread 08-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #29
existwhere?
Silver Member

Quote:
Update: The shoftim game was a big hit!! They got very into it, more than I thought they would. However, it ended up being me telling them what the halochos were as we went along, instead of them thinking of the answers themselves. But that's ok, since they still learned it in the end.
Yes, my girls loved the shoftim game too!!
I just went on with the parsha though.

We played 20 questions- the kids had a great time! I have to do it again.
Unread 08-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #30
Shabbos

Yes, I like 20 questions because you can really apply it to anything. What was your topic?
Unread 08-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #31
existwhere?
Silver Member

Quote:
Yes, I like 20 questions because you can really apply it to anything. What was your topic?
People in Parshas Lech Lecha (because most of my girls had learned that parsha while they didn't know much about any other parsha.)
Unread 09-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #32
Shabbos

A game for parshas Ki Savo:

Divide the floor into 3 spaces - one side being Har Gerizim and the other side being Har Eival, and the middle being Leviyim. One person, the "caller", calls out things like various mitzvos, brochos/rewards, aveiros, and punishments. The girls have to decide which mountain each thing would have been said on and run to that side as it is called. The caller can also call out "Leviyim" and everyone has to run to the middle. (Also, if someone is not sure which category something fits into and can say a reason for either side, they run to the middle.) As the game goes on, the caller starts going faster and faster, so gets trickier to keep up. Supposedly, the point of the game is that you get out if you accidentally go to the wrong place, and whoever is left wins, but we've played this before and they are completely fine just playing with no winners or losers.
Unread 09-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #33
existwhere?
Silver Member

Quote:
A game for parshas Ki Savo:

Divide the floor into 3 spaces - one side being Har Gerizim and the other side being Har Eival, and the middle being Leviyim. One person, the "caller", calls out things like various mitzvos, brochos/rewards, aveiros, and punishments. The girls have to decide which mountain each thing would have been said on and run to that side as it is called. The caller can also call out "Leviyim" and everyone has to run to the middle. (Also, if someone is not sure which category something fits into and can say a reason for either side, they run to the middle.) As the game goes on, the caller starts going faster and faster, so gets trickier to keep up. Supposedly, the point of the game is that you get out if you accidentally go to the wrong place, and whoever is left wins, but we've played this before and they are completely fine just playing with no winners or losers.
I wish I would have read this before Shabbos- it would have been the perfect game!!
We were stuck this week, played a couple of games until I dismissed them early.
Unread 09-07-2009, 07:43 AM   #34
existwhere?
Silver Member

Nitzavim is hard, because it's so short. What are you doing?

(I really love your games btw. You could publish them.)
Unread 09-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #35
Shabbos

Isn't Nitzavim combined with Vayeilech this year? That would make it easier.

When I'm stuck, I usually go to the kids' parsha section of chabad.org. That gives me some ideas of what age-appropriate lessons are in the parsha, and then I can work off of those to make games and stuff. So I looked, and I think I want to do something about achdus - that all of B"Y were standing together, and each one of us is needed for something. So maybe we could do some kind of a teamwork game where each person has their own part - I haven't thought of anything specific yet, but when I do I'll post it IYH.

You really think my games are publishable? That's a thought... Thank you!!