Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Chinuch

Unread 06-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #51
Fesoy
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chossidnistar View Post
b/c is not a need
I mean that is kosher, but not chassidishe
secular might be kosher, but is definetly not chassidishe
Do you have a definition for chassideishe?
Fesoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #52
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fesoy View Post
Do you have a definition for chassideishe?
lifnim mishurat hadin or beyond the letter of the law
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #53
Fesoy
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chossidnistar View Post
lifnim mishurat hadin or beyond the letter of the law
A Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant, computer programmer, etc. can all be chassidish then, and all have learned secular studies. My point is that

Quote:
Originally Posted by chossidnistar
secular might be kosher, but is definetly not chassidishe
your statement doesn't ring true. And what about the Rebbe learning in the Sorbonne University?

I agree about lifnim mishurat hadin but not about secular.
Unread 06-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #54
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

And therefore what? We should all learn from his example and go to university???
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #55
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

How about learning from his example that there are circumstances when going to University (and doing the work neccesary to get there) is appropriate.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #56
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

How about seeing what he actually wrote in the sicha about going to college (or many other letters), instead doing guesswork what to learn "from his example"?

But these are the arguments that go nowhere: הרוצה לטעות - יטעה.
Unread 06-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #57
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

That I agree with, but the sichos and letters on the subject do not contradict the notion that there are circumstances when it is appropriate to go.

I agree that the Rebbe set forth the klal that college is not the first choice for a bochur or young woman.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #58
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

And not the second choice either. Can you show me a clear documented example (like a written letter, or authentic reliable account) where the Rebbe said it is appropiate to go (- not a case of someone who began and the Rebbe said to finish because of the time spent, which usually was (but may not be limited to) with Balei Tshuvah)?

Every klal has a yotze min haklal. The rule is - that it is not appropiate. The exceptions - to the extent that they exist - are not the discussion here. Tanya also describes exceptions, that do not as a rule apply to most of us.

If discussing the policy that the Rebbe set up, going to college is chazir treif (even though there may be exceptions).

Interesting how a discussion about what our schools should ideally look like - has evolved (or been diverted?) into a discussion about going to college.

All this has been discussed in many threads, I do not see the point in covering old ground again.

As an aside: This permissive attitude, which has seeped into our circles the last decade or 2, has cost many korbonos - בכלל ובפרט. Who takes the achrayis for this - I don't know...
Unread 06-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #59
Fesoy
Executive Member

The point was made that chasidish meant no secular. I questioned that with some examples including the Rebbe going to the Sorbonne. The point was to show that chasidish isn't the narrow definition that some believe. It still means going beyond the letter of the law. It still means following the Rebbe's directives. What about professionals who go beyond the letter of the law? Are they not chassidish? Was Yosef HaTzadik not chassidish because he wasn't a shepherd? This is not a plea for everyone to go to college. It is a point about seeing something beyond the "one narrow path" definition that is often presented.
Unread 06-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #60
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

...the Rebbe's narrow path...especially concerning college, which is an unfortunate, bad example on your part...
Unread 06-29-2009, 10:01 AM   #61
Fesoy
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
...the Rebbe's narrow path...especially concerning college, which is an unfortunate, bad example on your part...
I am not saying the Rebbe's path is narrow, on the contrary. The Rebbe paved a Derech HaMelech that has many lanes. They all go towards the Palace of the King. Look at all the different areas of technology that are being used to make a dirah lo Yisborech b'tachtonim.
There are fast lanes, hov lanes and service lanes. Some lanes are safer than others and not all vehicles can handle those lanes. They are there, nevertheless, and the Rebbe address each of these.
To bring the metaphor to our thread, there are lanes where bachurim go to Yeshiva with a secular program and there are lanes where they do not.
There are lanes where a younger man sits in kollel before going out on shlichus, and there are lanes where he goes to college to get a parnosso to support his family and the shluchim.
Not everybody is going to enter the Beis HaMikdash through the same gate.
Unread 06-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #62
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
The point was made that chasidish meant no secular. I questioned that with some examples including the Rebbe going to the Sorbonne. The point was to show that chasidish isn't the narrow definition that some believe. It still means going beyond the letter of the law. It still means following the Rebbe's directives. What about professionals who go beyond the letter of the law? Are they not chassidish? Was Yosef HaTzadik not chassidish because he wasn't a shepherd? This is not a plea for everyone to go to college. It is a point about seeing something beyond the "one narrow path" definition that is often presented.
limudei hol in schools is completely different issue than going to college
I think that the idea of limudei hol, in these schools is not to prepare talmidim for college.Ortherwise it becomes a churban
Unread 06-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #63
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
I am not saying the Rebbe's path is narrow, on the contrary. The Rebbe paved a Derech HaMelech that has many lanes. They all go towards the Palace of the King. Look at all the different areas of technology that are being used to make a dirah lo Yisborech b'tachtonim.
There are fast lanes, hov lanes and service lanes. Some lanes are safer than others and not all vehicles can handle those lanes. They are there, nevertheless, and the Rebbe address each of these.
To bring the metaphor to our thread, there are lanes where bachurim go to Yeshiva with a secular program and there are lanes where they do not.
There are lanes where a younger man sits in kollel before going out on shlichus, and there are lanes where he goes to college to get a parnosso to support his family and the shluchim.
Not everybody is going to enter the Beis HaMikdash through the same gate.
Apparently, there are lanes where you ignore what the Rebbe says, and do whatever you feel like doing.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #64
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
I am not saying the Rebbe's path is narrow, on the contrary.
Actually, as far as college is concerned, I am saying it is, as explained in the sichos.

In my view, "narrow" is not always a flaw.
Unread 06-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #65
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

For those interested, some threads were these issues were discussed:
http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=10231 (not in depth).
http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=10240
http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=10204
http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=6999
http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=5538
Unread 12-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #66
raf1988

What about Baalei Tshuvos who were educated in the secular world for 20 years, for example, and then went to a BT Yeshiva. What about them continuing their secular studies? After all, very, very few are successful in limudei koidesh as their loshon koidesh skills are very limited.
What would you advise to that based on the Rebbe's directives?
raf1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #67
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

It's a question for one's personal asei lecho Rav.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #68
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

and choose the Rav very carefully