Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > General

Unread 12-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
e79

Quality of taleisim - dif. brands

Please excuse a balabatishe question - it's been a long while since I bought a new talis last, so just wanted to see if there's some meivin who could give me a quick run-down among the available options:

They seem to be selling in CH regular Israeli and Argentinian taleisim, and then there're the talis ha'meshubach and talis ha'mefoar, both claiming some anti-stain protection. They seem to be ranging from about $70 to $140.

what are the pros and cons both for the two basic taleisim and the more expensive ones?

One store owner told me argentinian wool is the best / finer, the other said Israeli is way better / lighter.

One said you can safely spill kidush wine on his talis hamefuar and it'll still look like new, the other said you can dip his talis hameshubach into chulnt and then rub some shmaltz herring in it, and it won't stick / smell.

One said the Israeli talis won't make you sweat in the summer, the other one said the argentinian will hold up better.

Some of them seem to have some anti-slip treatment so they don't fall off your shoulders as easily.

Could someone please shed some light on this?

Also, which dry cleaners in CH would you recommend to do a good job on a talis? Is it safe enough to give it to a goyishe dry cleaners without worrying that it'll be ruined?

And one more question on this: some taleisim that I saw come with very flimsy tzitzis. What's a good brand of tzitzis that are strong but look fine (i.e., not like thick ropes), and where can you buy a talis with tzitzis separately?

Thank you.
e79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

argentinian for weekdays and winter
israeli for Shabbos (looks nicer, whiter)
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote