Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > General > Book Reviews

Unread 07-28-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

The Celestine Prophecy

This* book, written by James Redfield (and, incidentally, translated into Hebrew as well, under the title 'Hanevua Hashemeimiyit') sounds like Chassidut from a goy's perspective.

I read this book a few years ago, when I was still reading non-Jewish books, [before replacing them with Chassidut], and started to reread it after hearing that one of the mashpi'im read it. **

At any rate, it's a good book, and goes through nine insights that show how the world is slowly becoming a more spiritual place.
Now, the reason why I'm starting a thread on it is:
a) so whoever wants to can add insights, and discuss the book. Although- warning- I probably won't be discussing it, since I've dissected it already and have no patience to do so again.
b) Next time you run into someone who doesn't want to learn chassidus, this is a pretty good 'alternative', l'havdil elef havdalot. If they like this book, tell them that it's watered-down chassidut. I've tried it, and it's worked.

*[My book is the plain one, but in green, and I don't like the new cover. Sorry...]

**probably as research, to help someone

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2008, 04:41 AM   #2
shlucha14
Executive Member

i read the free excerpt on amazon.com and it sounds really good. is there any way to read it free online?
Unread 07-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

No, I think to read the whole thing, you need to buy the book. Otherwise, how would they make any profit?

Unread 07-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
LION
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorthinker View Post

I read this book a few years ago, when I was still reading non-Jewish books, [before replacing them with Chassidut], and started to reread it after hearing that one of the mashpi'im read it. **

**probably as research, to help someone

You either read non-jewish books or you don't.

To say you really can't\don't, but because a certain 'mashpia' has read it you can, I think is naive.

My issue is not with whether one can or should read non-jewish, my issue is with saying "there is generally a problem, but because XYZ did it, it must be ok in this case."
Unread 07-29-2008, 12:39 AM   #5
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

There are many poignant insights in secular literature that have long existed and had clear parallels in Torah, lehavdil. Bepashtus, because zeh l'umas zeh osoh Elokim. But why should one have anything to do with the counterpart in kelipah, which is k'kof bifnei odom, when one can go to the real thing, Torah, which is the shoresh of all emes and tov in olam hazeh and in all the olamos?

Especially since there's such an immense amount of writings of Chassidus to which our generation has been zocheh, and the Rebbe is demanding unrelentingly that we learn and disseminate these teachings as widely as possible, who has time for anything else? Even when it comes to the basic texts there is such a large amount to learn, and so few people who know them well. Do you know Tanya back to front with the meforshim? Have you finished learning all the Kuntreisim (Kuntres Hatefillah, Kuntres Umaayan, etc.) thoroughly? What about Derech Mitzvosecho? Maamorim Kuntreisim of the Frierdiker Rebbe? The 1st 4 volumes of Likkutei Sichos?

Vos darf men krichn in chochmo diklipah, lehavdil, even with a kavono retzuya leshem Shomayim? The best method of spreading Chassidus successfully is to learn and internalise as much of it as possible.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LION View Post
You either read non-jewish books or you don't.

To say you really can't\don't, but because a certain 'mashpia' has read it you can, I think is naive.

My issue is not with whether one can or should read non-jewish, my issue is with saying "there is generally a problem, but because XYZ did it, it must be ok in this case."
I also have an issue with saying that. I'm not using it as an excuse. I wrote it because that was what prompted me. But it's my decision, not theirs, and not everything everyone does is good to emulate. Hey, look, I'm a sucker. What do you want? And in answer- usually, as in 99% of the time- I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahidelaws View Post
There are many poignant insights in secular literature that have long existed and had clear parallels in Torah, lehavdil. Bepashtus, because zeh l'umas zeh osoh Elokim. But why should one have anything to do with the counterpart in kelipah, which is k'kof bifnei odom, when one can go to the real thing, Torah, which is the shoresh of all emes and tov in olam hazeh and in all the olamos?
There was a time[; ie, not now, B"H,] when a)it interested me b)chassidus less so. (By the way, I stopped the reread for lack of time...)

Quote:
Especially since there's such an immense amount of writings of Chassidus to which our generation has been zocheh, and the Rebbe is demanding unrelentingly that we learn and disseminate these teachings as widely as possible, who has time for anything else? Even when it comes to the basic texts there is such a large amount to learn, and so few people who know them well. Do you know Tanya back to front with the meforshim? Have you finished learning all the Kuntreisim (Kuntres Hatefillah, Kuntres Umaayan, etc.) thoroughly? What about Derech Mitzvosecho? Maamorim Kuntreisim of the Frierdiker Rebbe? The 1st 4 volumes of Likkutei Sichos?
I actually stopped because I don't have the time. And while I don't know everything you cited word-for-word (no patience to memorize), most of the things you mentioned, I have learned thoroughly, or am in the middle of learning. Don't hit me on the head too hard...

Quote:
Vos darf men krichn in chochmo diklipah, lehavdil, even with a kavono retzuya leshem Shomayim? The best method of spreading Chassidus successfully is to learn and internalise as much of it as possible.
Vos darf men krichn- my brother just left for camp. Can you translate that?
But yeah, I agree.

Last edited by Majorthinker; 07-30-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Unread 07-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

Kol ha'kavod at your seriousness! The next step is to learn Yiddish! Vos darf men krichn=why must one "crawl".
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Thanks for the translation. The next step is to finish off the Hebrwe, and then we'll try Yiddish. There was a point when I checked the dictionary only twice a page when learning a Yiddish sicha. That ended when I found the stuff in laha"k.

Last edited by Majorthinker; 07-30-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Unread 07-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
existwhere?
Silver Member

Majorthinker- How can you be on the internet and not read secular books?
existwhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Two separate issues. I watch myself on the internet. Chabadtalk is pretty much the worst site I go on regularly, save the msn news when I sign out of my hotmail.

Oh- and just for the record, I check chabadtalk periodically in between working, answering questions, and more working. It's tough to stay off the internet when you work on a computer and need it.

Last edited by Majorthinker; 07-30-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Unread 07-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #11
existwhere?
Silver Member

Quote:
Two separate issues. I watch myself on the internet. Chabadtalk is pretty much the worst site I go on regularly, save the msn news when I sign out of my hotmail, and another site that I checked a few times as well, before deciding it was corrupting my mind.

Oh- and just for the record, I check chabadtalk periodically in between working, answering questions, and more working. It's tough to stay off the internet when you work on a computer and need it.
I see what you're saying. Chabadtalk is definitely one of the best sites to have as your worst site, and I know what you mean about working on the computer. I end up having use it as a reward. Still, even just the ads you get online are worse than what you'll see in a secular book.

When you say "nonjewish books" do you mean fiction or anything, like even a book on chemistry?
Unread 07-29-2008, 10:27 PM   #12
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Non-Jewish, to me, is anything against Torah values. A chemistry book doesn't cut it. Something that has a very non-Jewish perspective does. Even Chaim Potok could be counted (sorry!).

As to the ads... One time, I was in a farbrengen, and the person who was 'farbrengening' said that 'you can't even check your hotmail without being exposed to all kinds of shtus'. I was dumbfounded. Really? How come I never see the ads?

The next time I signed in to my email account (by the way, it is hotmail), I suddenly saw the ads, and wondered where they appeared from. Since when are there ads? Then I remembered the farbrengen...since when? Since someone pointed it out. Before that, I didn't even see it.
Not that I ignored it; I didn't see it.

Think about that.

Unread 07-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
existwhere?
Silver Member

Quote:
Non-Jewish, to me, is anything against Torah values. A chemistry book doesn't cut it. Something that has a very non-Jewish perspective does. Even Chaim Potok could be counted (sorry!).
Don't apologize. I completely agree. By your definition, I don't read any non-Jewish books either. I just wasn't sure what you meant.
Quote:
As to the ads... One time, I was in a farbrengen, and the person who was 'farbrengening' said that 'you can't even check your hotmail without being exposed to all kinds of shtus'. I was dumbfounded. Really? How come I never see the ads?

The next time I signed in to my email account (by the way, it is hotmail), I suddenly saw the ads, and wondered where they appeared from. Since when are there ads? Then I remembered the farbrengen...since when? Since someone pointed it out. Before that, I didn't even see it.
Not that I ignored it; I didn't see it.

Think about that.
It's true but you can choose what to see. I read about a boy who covered the top of his computer with a paper so he wouldn't see the ads.
I use gmail which doesn't have ads.
Unread 07-29-2008, 10:40 PM   #14
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Re definition- good for you.
My ads recently got more kosher.
The boy is smart. I don't think I need those measures, as I don't usually have m"z from ads, B"H. Direct result of the fact that I rarely look at them.
I have gmail, but prefer hotmail.

Last edited by Majorthinker; 07-30-2008 at 01:22 PM.