Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Chassidus > The Rebbe’s Talks & Writings > Discussion on Sichos of 5751-5752

Unread 02-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
MrFinkelstein
Silver Member

Gulf War Prophecy

http://www.sichosinenglish.org/books...ar/05.htm#t146

On the Threshold of Redemption

The imminence of Mashiach's coming is further emphasized by the events of the present year, a year in which we have seen the fulfillment of the prophecy, "I will show you wonders." For we have witnessed wonders of a unique and unprecedented nature. In a miraculous manner which followed the course predicted by the Yalkut Shimoni,[149] a formidable enemy of the Jewish people was destroyed. And as the passage from that classic text emphasizes, these miracles are to occur in "the year in which the King Mashiach is revealed," and that at that time, Mashiach will announce to the Jewish people, "Humble ones: The time for your Redemption has arrived."
We are standing on the threshold of the future Redemption. Mashiach's coming is no longer a dream of a distant future, but an imminent reality which will very shortly become fully manifest.

-------------------------------------------------------------

If this translation is correct, then the Rebbe was telling everybody that the prohecy in the Midrash was being fulfilled, the first part of the victory in the war was fulfilled and now the redemption part will be fulfilled without a doubt this year.

The Rebbe said that the redepemtion was "an imminent reality which will very shortly become fully manifest."

These words may have been just a hope but they weren't phrased as a hope and most people would not have known it was just a hope. These words are said as if they were fact and who wouldn't understand them that way at that time?

But "very shortly" is up. It's not very shortly anymore. imho, there are only three ways for a Chabad chosid to deal with this:

1. To hold that the Rebbe was only offering a hope. (But then we get into the question of the advice in Pirkei Avos ch. 1:11- Avtalion said: Sages, be careful with your words..")

2. To hold that the Rebbe misjudged the Gulf War.

3. To not think about it.
MrFinkelstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

I will do Gevurah's job, and remind you to ignore the translations and learn the originals. All of them.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
MrFinkelstein
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittul View Post
I will do Gevurah's job, and remind you to ignore the translations and learn the originals. All of them.
Ok. Are you pasuling sichosinenglish? If you are not, then what is it good for?
Unread 02-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFinkelstein View Post
what is it good for?
I have not found the answer for this. They did translate Sefer Haminhagim. Perhaps that is their purpose in life.

They used to do the work the Chasidic Heritage Series by Kehos is doing now - translations of complete works of Chasidus. They are now the Cliffs Notes of Lubavitch popular culture.
Unread 02-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
MrFinkelstein
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittul View Post
I have not found the answer for this. They did translate Sefer Haminhagim. Perhaps that is their purpose in life.

They used to do the work the Chasidic Heritage Series by Kehos is doing now - translations of complete works of Chasidus. They are now the Cliffs Notes of Lubavitch popular culture.
I can see this. Thanks.
Unread 02-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

Mr. F,

You have to go and learn the letter of the Rebbe Rashab that I have mentioned to you several times already. It explains the apparent differences in various midrashim, etc. Explains this one also.

"Bias Hamoshiach" (or "hisgalus hamoshiach") refers to two separate events. Two events, one term.

The first is when it is revealed to Moshiach himself that he is Moshiach.
The second is when Moshiach is revealed to the entire world bli sofek, along with the hisgalus of kesser-chochma-bina, the bias hamoshiach we eagerly await.

The choice you left out of your option list is:

4) The year 5751 was indeed the year that Melech Hamoshiach was revealed--to the one who himself is Moshiach.
Unread 02-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

Siman Alef in Shulchan Aruch is about Neggel Vasser, not Bias HaMoshiach.
Unread 02-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
Gevurah
Executive Diamond Member

and the end is what it is....

and the Rambam only ends with Moshiach....
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
MrFinkelstein
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankel Nosson View Post
Mr. F,

You have to go and learn the letter of the Rebbe Rashab that I have mentioned to you several times already. It explains the apparent differences in various midrashim, etc. Explains this one also.

"Bias Hamoshiach" (or "hisgalus hamoshiach") refers to two separate events. Two events, one term.

The first is when it is revealed to Moshiach himself that he is Moshiach.
The second is when Moshiach is revealed to the entire world bli sofek, along with the hisgalus of kesser-chochma-bina, the bias hamoshiach we eagerly await.

The choice you left out of your option list is:

4) The year 5751 was indeed the year that Melech Hamoshiach was revealed--to the one who himself is Moshiach.
Even if the first part of bias Moshiach happened, the Rebbe still said:
Mashiach's coming is no longer a dream of a distant future, but an imminent reality which will very shortly become fully manifest.

And the "fully manifest" part of bias Moshiach didn't happen "very shortly" as the Rebbe said (or hoped).
Unread 02-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Quote:
I can see this. Thanks.
Then why do you still persist in using the adapted translation as a basis for asking your questions?

How about studying the original with someone, and then to come back and ask your question, if you still have questions at that point.

I don't think you will have these questions if you learn the original with someone knowledgeable and reliable. Because even a superficial glance at the sicha tells you that the Rebbe's approach was one of encouragement and bitochon, an approach which has inspired an entire generation, even non-chassidim and non-religious, to think of the future redemption as something real and imminent.
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #11
MrFinkelstein
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emes m'eretz View Post
Then why do you still persist in using the adapted translation as a basis for asking your questions?
I meant that I see that sichosinenglish online is like Cliffnotes and that I will have to learn the whole sicha.

The reason I used it again for asking my question is because YN seemed to accept the translation and therefore I assumed that the translation was correct.

But you're 100% right. I should have not answered using the translation as my basis until I have read the original.

Quote:
How about studying the original with someone, and then to come back and ask your question, if you still have questions at that point.

I don't think you will have these questions if you learn the original with someone knowledgeable and reliable. Because even a superficial glance at the sicha tells you that the Rebbe's approach was one of encouragement and bitochon, an approach which has inspired an entire generation, even non-chassidim and non-religious, to think of the future redemption as something real and imminent.
ok, I'll ask my chasidus teacher to learn it with me. We are in the middle of learning a maamar of the Rebbe Rashab but maybe he'll agree to put that on hold and learn this sicha instead.
Unread 02-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

Please do not ask that, and finish learning the Maamar of the Rebbe Rashab and any other yesodos your teacher wishes to teach you.
Unread 12-21-2009, 02:24 AM   #13
raf1988

Quote:

But "very shortly" is up. It's not very shortly anymore. imho, there are only three ways for a Chabad chosid to deal with this:

1. To hold that the Rebbe was only offering a hope. (But then we get into the question of the advice in Pirkei Avos ch. 1:11- Avtalion said: Sages, be careful with your words..")

2. To hold that the Rebbe misjudged the Gulf War.

3. To not think about it.
Why not to think about it? Chassidus, the Rebbe, are about Emes. Maybe we didn't merit it, who knows.... Maybe the Rebbe was being melamed zchus. Nobody will be able to give you an answer; I think IMHO.
raf1988 is offline   Reply With Quote