Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Chassidus

Unread 08-30-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
lamed

Maharal and Shelah in Chabad Chassidus

It is a well-known idea that the Alter Rebbe used the Maharal and Shelah as sources in Chabad Chassidus (i.e. that they are the seforim referred to in the introduction to chelek beis of the Tanya). In Tanya he brings down the Maharal explicitly, but generally speaking these seforim do not get quoted very often in Chabad Chassidus, despite their obvious influence. Was there ever a reason given for this? It is interesting that both of those authors themselves also conceal their sources, especially the Maharal.
lamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Forgive my ignorance - why is the influence so "obvious"? Are there ideas unique to Shalo (or even Maharal) that influence Tanya? [I am aware of the story that the AR earlier on followed Shalo - but we are discussing Tanya].

I also don't recall the explicit reference to Maharal.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

I recall hearing from mashpi'im that the loshon of the Alter Rebbe's shaar blat: "melukat mipi sfarim umipi sofrim" alludes to ... forget which is which ... but the Shaloh and the Maharal are in there. Don't have seforim handy, can anyone help me out?
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Seforim - Maharal, Shalo (and in some places - Rambam). Sofrim - Baal SH"T, Magid (in some places - MM of Vitebsk).
The Rebbe refers to it in IK v 17 p 92 (though only mentioning the Maharal).
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
lamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
Forgive my ignorance - why is the influence so "obvious"? Are there ideas unique to Shalo (or even Maharal) that influence Tanya? [I am aware of the story that the AR earlier on followed Shalo - but we are discussing Tanya].
I was thinking more about the AR's later ma'amorim rather than the Tanya. Even then, I don't know how many of these ideas were common and just happened to appear in writing for the first time in the seforim of the Shaloh and the Maharal. And after looking in mafteichos, it seems that the Shaloh is actually quoted a fair amount.

Quote:
I also don't recall the explicit reference to Maharal.
I was wrong on this; bad memory or too late at night. R' SZ Gopin's sefer on Sha'ar HaYichud VeHaEmunah explains ch. 8 and 9 as referring to a machlokes between the Rambam and the Maharal, but it's really just a machlokes between the chokrim and the mekubalim, nothing particular about the Maharal. Lessons in Tanya quotes Gevuros Hashem for the same idea in ch. 48 of Likutei Amarim, but the same thing applies there.

This is pretty much a failed thread. Sorry about that.
lamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

I'm not a boki, but the similarity might be that the Maharal talks a lot about the different nefashos using his own unique chakirah'dik style, in a way that the Alter Rebbe adapts and explains in more Kabboloh'dik terms, along with the additional insights into the nefashos that are unique to Chassidus.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Noah - you are reminding me of when I was a bochur in Yeshiva, the excitement some bochurim expressed when they found "Chassidus" in the " - in a piece where he discussed different nefoshos...
Unread 09-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
couldntbe

I could see how Tanya could have relied on the Tiferes Yisroel from the Maharal, other Sforim I dont see too much.

Even the above quoted piece from the Gvuras Hashem Chassidus disagrees with.

In addition one can hardly say it is Melukat from something because it is brought once. (if so maybe Tanya is milukat from Zohar etz chaim etc....)
couldntbe is offline   Reply With Quote