Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > General

Unread 12-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Toviah

How Do You Deal With Fear

This Shabbos, a problem that I haven't really paid attention to for more than 50 years came to light -- and not only because it's Chanukah.

I was davening in my little shteble on East Sixth street, and a couple of the men were coughing. I became afraid I would contact the flu or something, so in the middle of the Shemonah Esrei I moved as far away as possible from the group, where I was almost inside the curtain where the women daven.

I watched the rabbi and the other men, and no one felt this fear. No one left the room. No one stopped davening. This was not the first time for me. I've been fearful of this and that since I was a kid, but in that shul at that moment I understood that my biggest enemy was fear -- fear of losing my health, fear of this and fear of that.

I also realized that if I had total faith and trust in Hashem I would not be struggling with such fear and I would know that all is in Divine order. I'm wondering if your total faith and trust in G-d keeps you immune from such fears. I'm also wondering if, like me, someone who is still wrestling with Hashem and doesn't have the complete faith that I know most of you have, how do you overcome this personal obstacle in life?

Are there prayers, meditations, visualizations, certain Tehillim, amulets --anything that can ease fear. Is there any way to get to a state of complete faith and trust in Hashem, or is this simply my task in this incarnation and don't expect quick results.

Talk to me about fear --especially fear of poor health and death. Thank you. Tuviah
Toviah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

In my humble opinion, I don't think that you did anything wrong.

People were spreading germs, and these are potentially dangerous. So you moved away.

As for feeling fear, the prescription is bitochon, trust in G-d.

So it's a combined approach.

We take the necessary natural precautions, and then we are optimistic that G-d takes care of us and that He will protect us.
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toviah View Post
This Shabbos, a problem that I haven't really paid attention to for more than 50 years came to light -- and not only because it's Chanukah.

I was davening in my little shteble on East Sixth street, and a couple of the men were coughing. I became afraid I would contact the flu or something, so in the middle of the Shemonah Esrei I moved as far away as possible from the group, where I was almost inside the curtain where the women daven.

I watched the rabbi and the other men, and no one felt this fear. No one left the room. No one stopped davening. This was not the first time for me. I've been fearful of this and that since I was a kid, but in that shul at that moment I understood that my biggest enemy was fear -- fear of losing my health, fear of this and fear of that.

I also realized that if I had total faith and trust in Hashem I would not be struggling with such fear and I would know that all is in Divine order. I'm wondering if your total faith and trust in G-d keeps you immune from such fears. I'm also wondering if, like me, someone who is still wrestling with Hashem and doesn't have the complete faith that I know most of you have, how do you overcome this personal obstacle in life?

Are there prayers, meditations, visualizations, certain Tehillim, amulets --anything that can ease fear. Is there any way to get to a state of complete faith and trust in Hashem, or is this simply my task in this incarnation and don't expect quick results.

Talk to me about fear --especially fear of poor health and death. Thank you. Tuviah
Recognizing Hashem's absolute control over every event in Creation, from the greatest to the smallest, brings to a great inner tranquility and can still all fears.

Learn the beginning of the 25th letter in Igeres Hakodesh (4th book of Tanya), and also this is a wonderful resource (in English): http://yiddishkeit.org/PageLaunch.asp?ItemCode=931
Unread 12-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
Fesoy
Executive Member

I like the acronym for F.E.A.R
F.alse
E.vidence
A.ppearing
R.eal

If the thing that is causing the fear is real, then the fear is a healthy response. For example, if a lion jumps out of his cage and starts running towards a person, the fear will trigger the adrenalin and the person will take action.
Most fears are not based on reality. They are based on worry and nevertheless, appear real and elicit a stressful biological response, and are not particularly healthy. The worry is that the worst thing will happen. c'v, rather than the best thing.
The Rebbe said that we have to apply the dictum of think good and it will be good. We can and must take action so that we make a vessel for Hashem's blessings. Our emotion should be one of optimism, happiness and assurance that everything will be good in a revealed way.
Fesoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
helenk579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toviah View Post

Thanks you for the post.