Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Yiddishkeit

Unread 01-16-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
peaceful

Question Question,please!

Hello if this is in the wrong place I am sorry. I would like to know if anyone knows of a forum for BT's like myself. I go to a wonderful shul, am close to my Rebbivitz, go to parsha classes and keep kosher. I recieved my hebrew name along with my children this past Shabbos. Many people have opened their hearts and homes to my family but the bt's I know have twenty plus years. I listen and apreciate all they do and who they are.
Others ask me if I am a convert because I have no education,have tattoos (Which noone sees b/c I follow modesty laws when in shul-I don't wear a shedal just a hat)and can't come up with a hebrew name in my family that is not 3 generations back. I thought I was jewish if my maternal line was. I just wanted to chat with someone in a similar situation. I ask on ask moses but they didn't know. Hashem somehow led me to like the most frum shul which I am grateful for. I would like someone who is striving also to overcome the "Where do I fit-how do I fit in a Torah led life? If I have misspelled anything or made anymistakes I am sincere in both the question and my path. thanks
peaceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Your entire family is 100% Jewish if you matrilineal line is. At the beginning, to feel like you know nothing is definitely tough. This I can promise you: It will not be as tough as this forever. I do not know of a forum like this for BT's, but....I am also 100% sure that you are not only not the only one in this kind of situation, but one of hundreds, all struggling together. Know that you are not alone and that it will get easier. Know also that you always have an open door- tefilla-whenever you feel the need. Hatzlacha!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
peaceful

I think there is a mix up.

Please I was sincere in my question. I am peaceful. I am a female in Chicago and it seems that my question was not taken seriously. I am and have never been on meds. I did not change my name. I just wanted a bit of help. Sorry to have bothered you all.
Unread 01-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
peaceful

Not Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
Breslov - why did you change your name?
My user name is peaceful- he, the other person jumped on my thread. I just asked a question because I really wanted help. I would never propose to meet someone from the net! I just wanted to see if anyone else had problems being asked if the were converts. Both of my parents are jewish but there are no hebrew names in a few generations. I go to an extremely frum long established shul in Chicago and all of the bt's have been frum 20+years. I am a mother and working my hardest to study torah with Rebbivitz Hertz in class. I am rying my best-you alls treatment of my simple but probably inane question to you makes me cry.
Unread 01-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Ok, I am breaking my rule for 'peaceful'. Peaceful, we all know who you are. The question of the name change, the reference to meds, and everything else (except my first response, the one right under your first post) is directed to 'chabadbreslov'.
Please....don't cry. (I even feel bad for chabadbreslov because of the way I said no, but that's life....and he asked for it.)
And now I am off, hopefully for good, this time.

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!

Last edited by Majorthinker; 01-18-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
DW Duke
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful View Post
Hello if this is in the wrong place I am sorry. I would like to know if anyone knows of a forum for BT's like myself. I go to a wonderful shul, am close to my Rebbivitz, go to parsha classes and keep kosher. I recieved my hebrew name along with my children this past Shabbos. Many people have opened their hearts and homes to my family but the bt's I know have twenty plus years. I listen and apreciate all they do and who they are.
Others ask me if I am a convert because I have no education,have tattoos (Which noone sees b/c I follow modesty laws when in shul-I don't wear a shedal just a hat)and can't come up with a hebrew name in my family that is not 3 generations back. I thought I was jewish if my maternal line was. I just wanted to chat with someone in a similar situation. I ask on ask moses but they didn't know. Hashem somehow led me to like the most frum shul which I am grateful for. I would like someone who is striving also to overcome the "Where do I fit-how do I fit in a Torah led life? If I have misspelled anything or made anymistakes I am sincere in both the question and my path. thanks
A convert is to be treated no differently from a natural born Jew. It is possible your feeling that you are having trouble fitting in is only your personal view of the situation. It sounds as though you are in a shul where you are treated well. It may be that people ask you if you are a convert only because they haven't seen you around very long and they want to get to know you. Socially it is not really an approriate question unless someone knows you well but not everyone is well versed in etiquette. You could always respond by asking if they have taken a DNA test to see if their haplogroup matches the common hebrew haplogroups but that might make them just as uncomfortable as you feel when someone asks if you are a convert and is probably not really an appropriate question either.
DW Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
peaceful

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Duke View Post
A convert is to be treated no differently from a natural born Jew. It is possible your feeling that you are having trouble fitting in is only your personal view of the situation. It sounds as though you are in a shul where you are treated well. It may be that people ask you if you are a convert only because they haven't seen you around very long and they want to get to know you. Socially it is not really an approriate question unless someone knows you well but not everyone is well versed in etiquette. You could always respond by asking if they have taken a DNA test to see if their haplogroup matches the common hebrew haplogroups but that might make them just as uncomfortable as you feel when someone asks if you are a convert and is probably not really an appropriate question either.
Thank you for making me smile. I tend to be sensitive within myself so you are prob right I was externalizing my inner struggles. Thank you again!