Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Teenagers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 03-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #26
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

"a killing outreach"
You can't word it a bit more nicely?

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #27
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Sorry, again with my Spanish

tell me , how is better?
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #28
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Okay, sorry. Understandable and excusable.
"a lot of outreach"
"terrific [amount of] outreach"
"good outreach"

"killing outreach" just sounds...prust.

Unread 03-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #29
shlucha14
Executive Member

One of my anti-FB friends calls it "sefer shel panim". ;-)!
Unread 04-14-2009, 01:00 AM   #30
yid613

Imho

there is nothing phsyically wrong with facebok besides the fact that it is pure shtues. and klipa, but it is capable of being made good. it can be used for good or bad depends how u use it. but teenagers should not be on facebook. although you can make it safe, you see pictures, or apps that your eyes shlouldnt see. and besides, the obvious reason is it is a complete waist of time! do something a bit more constructive like extra learning or mivztiom.

When mashiach comes we will each be asked what did we do to bring mashiach, do you want to say you spent your free time on facebook? i dont think that would make the Rebbe proud, but then again, it is only my opinion.

This can be very useful to stay in contact with long distance friends or so on, but you can also pick up the phone or call. what did this society do before their were computers??!? or to be more careful, you can just email them rather then facebook.

Mashiach now!!!!!!!
yid613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2009, 01:10 AM   #31
animzemirot

"This can be very useful to stay in contact with long distance friends or so on, but you can also pick up the phone or call. what did this society do before their were computers??!? or to be more careful, you can just email them rather then facebook. "

This is true, rather then spending time on facebook, you cna so much more useful things! we are in the thershold of Mashiach! all we need is achdus! not facebook! i come from a chassidish school where this is just a "don" yet the "fried" kids have it.

it all depends on your level of chassidish.
animzemirot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #32
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlucha14 View Post
One of my anti-FB friends calls it "sefer shel panim". ;-)!
Sefer shel achorayim.
Tachat-book. LOL.

Those useful things can better be done offline. Sorry.

Unread 09-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #33
Agent40

Re facebook

B'h
I dunno I went on for a month after family told me too since that was the only form of contact for them.
It scared the living day lights out of me I left after a month deleting my account and have not been on since then that was two years ago. I had this weirdo trying to befriend me and though I chose to ignore that's not the point.

Also if you are at all like me and please don't tell me I am the only lone alien on this planet. I click on other people who come up on the sides. So yes you can get hooked line and sinker and it definitely doesn't help ones yiras shomayim.
So PLEASE!!!!
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #34
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

FB is a complete waste of time instead of learning and doing constructive things. They are chatting, making fun of other people and it is a tool that spread L'H in a very quick and subtile manner. They may have good points in FB but because of the many bad points and the harm it causes, we should distanciate ourselves from it. Tommorrow, it will become kosher for a lubavitcher to watch movies and have a tv set.
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #35
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

And with a FB profile, there is no longer a mechitzah between boys and girls. Once, I heard (I was their guest) a follow chosid woman saying to one of her daughters aged 15 who had just created her own fb profile "I forbid you to add boys in your fb's contacts". But how parents can know that their children don't use fb foolishly? It should be banned. But people would continue to use it, so.
Unread 09-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #36
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

Beloshon Admur HaZokein: "Hakol lefi mah shehu odom, ulefi hazman vehamokom."
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #37
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chossidnistar View Post
Someone who is a BT, with many non frum Jewish friends from different times and places,,can make a killing outreach with Facebook
Every year, during chol hamoed we organize a gathering in the sukkah of our Beis Chabad. This year, we had a huge success simply because the shlucha used FB to invite the Jews of our surrounding area. We also had some people who came from afar.

So, it was a really positive use of FB.

However, this does not erase all the flaws and klipa of FB and the fact that FB is really a waste of time. In that sense, I agree with you when you said that:

Quote:
Facebook could be utilized in a very positive way , but is not for everyone.
With the exception of Shlichus, I do not see the point of this thing and why some Chassidim are wasting their time on it.
Unread 10-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #38
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

One article in favor of Facebook:

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/articl...Be-Friends.htm

Another article that is more balanced:

http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...efore-I-Am.htm

And from the below article, the conclusion is pretty well written (in my opinion):

Quote:
So hang up your spacesuit. Why float through cyberspace when you can fly through Reality? Shop designer, but don't get fooled by the knockoff version of you in the display window. Never sacrifice eternal worth for provisional validation. And as you type, upload and post, bear in mind: Comments are just comments. Pictures don't have mouths. And you don't get to keep the virtual gifts you get for your birthday. Facebook is never gonna be as good as real life. And really, any place where you can throw a sheep at someone ought not be taken too seriously.

Log out, click back to reality.
http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...y-Facebook.htm

So there you have three different approaches.
Unread 01-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #39
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

An interresting article from COL (in LHK) on the subject.
Unread 02-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #40
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejewishteen View Post
The Only thing wrong with fb is that it can become begin addicting.
That is one (even if almost any thing nowadays can lead to an addiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejewishteen View Post
Plus people can use it and have bad pictures of themselves
That is two.

There are many more problems than these two (as issues of promiscuity between boys and girls, wasting his time, etc.)
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #41
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

On one hand we are told by many Rabbonim to keep away as far as possible from Facebook, and on the other hand, we are bombarded with messages and competitions in which we must have a Facebook account to vote for and make win Lubavitch moisdos.
Unread 05-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #42
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Ignore them. It is for those that have Facebook anyway (though I admit, it does not smell right...).
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #43
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

you can be practical

you can open an account with a nick name,just to vote
you dont need pics, you dont need friends, etc
Unread 05-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #44
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
Ignore them. It is for those that have Facebook anyway (though I admit, it does not smell right...).
Hence the question: are there still Lubavitcher listening to the Rabbonim or did it become "live and let live", do whatever you want?

On the other hand, I have read the handbooks of some Lubavitch schools, and I don't understand Lubavitch schools whose policy is to forbid the Internet at home, to limit to 15 minutes the time spend behind the screen (I know plenty of people, even chassidim, with a FB account, and they spend almost an hour on FB), and who even stipulate that FB is forbidden for their students, but nonetheless take part in such competitions. I understand they need the money, but there is a contradiction between their school policy and the FB competitions.

And eventhough, it's true, that it's only for those having an account, where are the parents? I agree with CN that it's possible to create a temporary account, but the fact is that most people voting do have a permanent FB account, and many among them are young people. We all know what's going on FB, so I will not mention it, but where are the parents? How is it possible that chassidish parents don't bother their children having a FB account? (Or maybe, they lack the authority, and it's another big problem or our generation.)
Unread 05-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #45
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
you can be practical

you can open an account with a nick name,just to vote
you dont need pics, you dont need friends, etc
Right, but there are some problems with that:

1) even considering opening an account is ridicule (at least, IMHO, of course);
2) opening a temporary account just for the sake of voting is the first step into temptation, because you can be led to keep it or open another one which will become your permanent account (you know, with all the peer pressure who are almost harassing you to convince you of the many virtues of FB and how it's secure, etc.Not everyone is mentally strong to resist it);
3) I argue (I don't have figures) that most people voting, and among them Lubavitcher, don't have temporary but permanent accounts;
4) Frankly, what's the point of having a FB account without pictures, without friends, without L'H, without commenting (positively or negatively) pictures of other people, and all the other "spicy" things I see and hear peiple doing all atound? FB without all these stuffs is like a Shabbos without a cholent...it's hardly thinkable and this is what contribute to the "oneg" (at least for me, cholent is an integral part of my oneg shabbes ).
Unread 05-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #46
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosheh5769 View Post
On one hand we are told by many Rabbonim to keep away as far as possible from Facebook, and on the other hand, we are bombarded with messages and competitions in which we must have a Facebook account to vote for and make win Lubavitch moisdos.
U can vote to help and not have a real FB account
maybe this is not an option for you but it works for some
Unread 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #47
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
U can vote to help and not have a real FB account
maybe this is not an option for you but it works for some
I am still convinced that for such competitions, they can introduce other means so everybody can feel concerned (yes, I know, Lubavitch did not establish the rules of the game).
Unread 05-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #48
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosheh5769 View Post
I am still convinced that for such competitions, they can introduce other means so everybody can feel concerned (yes, I know, Lubavitch did not establish the rules of the game).
Thank for the participation of practical ppl, BH,Chabad Argentina won yesterday $500.000 for just a difference of 38 votes In more than 25.000
These ppl who signed in FB tiLTED the scale in thESE 38 votes
Unread 05-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #49
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
thank for the participation of practical ppl, bh,chabad argentina won yesterday $500.000 for just a difference of 38 votes in more than 25.000
these ppl who signed in fb tilted the scale in these 38 votes
ברוך ה׳
Unread 05-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #50
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Thank for the participation of practical ppl, BH,Chabad Argentina won yesterday $500.000 for just a difference of 38 votes In more than 25.000
These ppl who signed in FB tiLTED the scale in thESE 38 votes
Yes. And we have no idea what negative result this great Mitzva of having facebook will eventually result in for our younger people especially, who felt compelled to participate in this great Mitzvah and decided not to be "chanuyuked" but to be "practical". Does that make it worth it? For the people getting the money - probably. For the others - not at all (IMVHO, of course).
Let me be more blunt: In my opinion, it reeks of hypocricy. If a mossad has an official "no internet" policy (I have no idea if Chabad of Argentina has one - but some of the mosdos in the competition definitely do) - it should not be living by the internet and making its clientle do so. That is called having your cake and eating it, or playing both sides...
The ends do not always justify the means - even if the end is a nice sum of money. VAKML.

Last edited by Torah613; 05-27-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote