Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Teenagers

Unread 06-27-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
HeyHello

Talk to Myself

hey! here is the sitch, very often i will whip out my cell and pretend that someone is on the line and talk to that person/myself. but the thing is im not just like hey and stupid stuff, i actually have a specific erson that im talking to and about a specific thing. so its not like im a random kid whispering to myself.
For certain reasons I cant ACTUALLY call wtvr person I have in mind to be speaking to. part of the reason i do this is bc i rly want to talk about this to the person and very often when i talk to myself i have the same person in mind.
No guys and gals im not craz! and im not a lunatic!
is this like a bad thing to do?
HeyHello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
ChofetzChaim

Is there any specific reason that you can pinpoint of why you aren't actually talking to the person for real? You need to determine what the underlying reason is for this behavior; then you can deal with this issue more directly. It is not neccessarily a bad thing to do; but, again, finding the underlying reason will tell us if talking to yourself is healthy in your situation or not.
ChofetzChaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2008, 12:22 AM   #3
DW Duke
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHello View Post
hey! here is the sitch, very often i will whip out my cell and pretend that someone is on the line and talk to that person/myself. but the thing is im not just like hey and stupid stuff, i actually have a specific erson that im talking to and about a specific thing. so its not like im a random kid whispering to myself.
For certain reasons I cant ACTUALLY call wtvr person I have in mind to be speaking to. part of the reason i do this is bc i rly want to talk about this to the person and very often when i talk to myself i have the same person in mind.
No guys and gals im not craz! and im not a lunatic!
is this like a bad thing to do?
It is not uncommon for a person to "rehearse" what he would say to someone if a certain opportunity permitted. This can be therapeutic in that a person can express what he wants to say but for whatever reason can't. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone doing this with a cellphone before though.
DW Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
fairy_princess

I can really relate to this! I am exactly the same! I often do that. Not just on a mobile phone sometimes just in my head or walking in the street!
The thing is I am saying important things which I want my friends to know I just can't physically phone them.
I hate talking on the phone! I can't ring people. If someone phones the house phone and then I get told to talk I will but if I am home alone or my mobile is ringing I leave it go to answer phone.
I always thought it as being some mental not illness but something. . . I don't know if it is normal?
fairy_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Duke View Post
It is not uncommon for a person to "rehearse" what he would say to someone if a certain opportunity permitted. This can be therapeutic in that a person can express what he wants to say but for whatever reason can't. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone doing this with a cellphone before though.
Ha, I talk to myself all the time....things are just easier to think through when heard out loud (sign of an auditory learner ). I don't do it on a cellphone, unless there's some busybody around I'd rather not have to talk to, and then I make sure that my phone is on silent so I don't end up looking like a fool...

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
DW Duke
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorthinker View Post
Ha, I talk to myself all the time....things are just easier to think through when heard out loud (sign of an auditory learner ). I don't do it on a cellphone, unless there's some busybody around I'd rather not have to talk to, and then I make sure that my phone is on silent so I don't end up looking like a fool...
In California, effective July 1, 2008 we can no longer use cellphones in the car. I suspect that we will see many Blue Tooths which creates a very funny appearance when people drive. Didn't you Yorkers adopt that law a few years ago?
Unread 07-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Yeah, all these guys walking down the street, looking real important talking to themself.
OTOH, sometimes that is the only intelligent person around...
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Its taken me awhile to get used to the bluetooth phenomenon. I still regularly answer people who say "Hello" into their bluetooth (it takes me a minute or two to realize that I'm not being addressed).
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2008, 02:59 AM   #9
fairy_princess

We also have bluetooth and handsfree kit but I guess I am use to seeing them.
It is the same when you see drivers singing to themselves.
fairy_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2008, 06:42 AM   #10
shlucha14
Executive Member

the funniest is someone getting angry on bluetooth "at themselves".
Unread 07-02-2008, 06:44 AM   #11
shlucha14
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Duke View Post
In California, effective July 1, 2008 we can no longer use cellphones in the car. I suspect that we will see many Blue Tooths which creates a very funny appearance when people drive. Didn't you Yorkers adopt that law a few years ago?
Down Under we've had that for a while...the funniest is seeing ppl geting angry "at themselves"
Unread 07-02-2008, 07:52 AM   #12
DW Duke
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlucha14 View Post
the funniest is someone getting angry on bluetooth "at themselves".

The new law went into effect yesterday. I have had a blue tooth for about a year but I haven't used it because I almost always drive with the top down. I know the wind is going to blow it off my ear. I thought I might find a way to fasten it to my hat.