Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Teenagers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 02-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
ayid613

Zal

I am a serious bochur that is looking into zal for next year. It will be my first year in a lubavitch yeshiva. I could learn gemorah etc but am a beginner when it comes to learning chassidus. I am looking for a yeshiva where I could establish a talmid-rebbi relationship that will help me come up to speed. I'm a good, motivated student but I am not someone that could sit and learn nonstop all day. I need a break once in a while to go outside, play some sports, and than go back to learning. I've been hearing from many people that this is a contradiction in lubavitch yeshivahs. You either go to a yeshiva for a serious bochur that doesn't play sports or a yeshiva that is for the more chilled, not such a learner bochur that does play sports. Is this really case? I was told to look into Morristown and LA. Could anyone tell me anything about the learning and type of boys that go there or if you know of any other yeshivahs? I know this is not exactly the way to choose what yeshiva to go to next year but anyone I speak to about these schools has only "heard" and everyone seems to have "heard" differantly, noone seems to "know". Any help would be greatly appreciated
ayid613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

From what I hear, the Yeshivos in Melbourne or Baltimore might work. Hatzlocho!
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

In my experience, there are lots of serious boys from my community that have been very successful in Morristown. You also have the unique opportunity in Morristown of learning with the Baalei Teshuvah yeshiva downstairs on occassion; some boys have regular chevrusas in the evening with the BT students. That opportunity might allow you some extra time to go through the basic materials that your classmates may have covered.

Los Angeles also has some serious boys, and the Rav Shochet has a reputation for being very shtark but brilliant. There are learning programs in Los Angeles as well as the college campuses sometimes have monthly mishmar programs and there are so many Chabad House opportunities nearby.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:45 AM   #4
per88

A Suggestion

a suggestion, although it does not address your question:
aside for the many consecutive hours of nigleh, which you write you cou hack but need a break, diving head first without ever really learning chassidus will make the shift (to a Lubavitcher yeshiva, and especially a zal) a lot more difficult.

perhaps a good idea would be to fingure out a way to begin learning chassidus this year, and the Chavrusa you`l do it with may be able to help find the right Yeshivah.
per88 is offline   Reply With Quote