Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Teenagers

Unread 10-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
INsearch

Jewish Teens in secular schools?

are their any Jewish Teens that are attending a Secular non-Jewish school? How do you deal with the kind of things your faced with?
INsearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

If the teen is not religious, then most problems aren't even thought of. Genius can answer this question better than me, if only they will allow themselves to join.

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
INsearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorthinker View Post
If the teen is not religious, then most problems aren't even thought of. Genius can answer this question better than me, if only they will allow themselves to join.
Hmmm?

Yeah I am facing difficulties trying to do the right things... their are allot of temptations out their that I have to deal with.... and I cant say I am doing to well at the moment
Unread 10-21-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INsearch View Post
Hmmm?
I was referring to a friend.

Quote:
Yeah I am facing difficulties trying to do the right things... their are allot of temptations out their that I have to deal with.... and I cant say I am doing to well at the moment
That's tough. Can you get yourself a mentor where you are?

Unread 10-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
INsearch

Quote:

That's tough. Can you get yourself a mentor where you are?
By mentor I assume you are talking about like a Rabbi or Jewish teacher of sorts? that answer would be no. I live in Vermont... the closest synagogue is a Conservative one the Second closest is up state and thats a Chabad Lubavitch one but........ its about 3 hours away?
Unread 10-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
By mentor I assume you are talking about like a Rabbi or Jewish teacher of sorts? that answer would be no. I live in Vermont... the closest synagogue is a Conservative one the Second closest is up state and thats a Chabad Lubavitch one but........ its about 3 hours away?
Yes, that is what I was referring to. Hm...

Unread 10-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
INsearch

Its actually very hard to do the right thing.... especialy after you have surounded yourself with filthy Non-G-d honoring people! then it becomes even more difficult!
Unread 10-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #8
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Of course. Doing the right thing in any situation can be difficult- in a nonsupportive environment, the struggle is only doubled.

Unread 10-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
MushkieV

Hi, i can tell you from experience that it is possible to stay who you are and what you are even in this kind of school, but u gotta know and always keep in mind that you're different, and any time you do what you're supposed to even if it is smth different then what your friends or ppl around you do you r really independed and free, you're doing exactly what you know is right and not what someone decided is right...
When you don't take part in smth b/c it's not ok for us to take part in it you're a free person - it's not that the Tora doesn't let you smth and you're so poor... It's that you chosed to do the right thing!
Good luck!
Unread 10-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Boruch Hashem, the internet is an amazing thing. I recommend you try chatting on askmoses.com to deal with every day questions you may have.

As for a more permanent solution... maybe you can go visit the Lubavitch center for a weekend some time?
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #11
Eitan770

Quote:
That's Rabbi Raskin that's 3 hours from you?
Eitan770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2008, 04:19 AM   #12
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

It very well could be...

Unread 10-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
INsearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eitan770 View Post
That's Rabbi Raskin that's 3 hours from you?
hmmm? I dunno does he live in Burlington Vermont?
Unread 10-24-2008, 12:46 AM   #14
shlucha14
Executive Member

Quote:
hmmm? I dunno does he live in Burlington Vermont?
yep, him and his family and another family, the wilhelms. You might want to check out chabadvt.org.
Unread 11-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #15
ktonton
Silver Member

Quote:
are their any Jewish Teens that are attending a Secular non-Jewish school? How do you deal with the kind of things your faced with?
Quote:
thanks, but I may not be so able to answer the question.

Quote:
Its actually very hard to do the right thing.... especialy after you have surounded yourself with filthy Non-G-d honoring people! then it becomes even more difficult!
Firstly, please don't speak so poorly of other people. Thinking this way of them will only bring them to antagonize you, and anyway humility is a trait encouraged in torah. You should be proud to be a yid, yes, but one should always be humble and know that because you are a yid, more is expected of you.

I was a frum kid (or frum as I could be given the circumstances) in a non-jewish school for a very long time. And I suppose the particular difficulties depend strongly on if your a boy or a girl. Boys have to wear tzitzis and yarmulka, and look more visibly different, as they age they also have to daven in the morning, for years I had major problems (and a great amount of distress) over not having time in the morning to daven before classes. (this is probably easier for you but still entails getting up very very early, earlier than your teenage body can probably tollerate without great effort.)

and then of course, whether your a boy or girl you have those issues. The boys are all around you, the girls are so nice, kind (I might say attractive but I never cared that much).

But I think it has to be taken on a case by case basis, because the problems you have can be very diverse.

Getting out of class for yomim tovim can be accomplished with a simple note, likewise wearing tzitzis and yarmulka. This was easier when I was in middle school and highschool.

so I guess I need to open the question back to you and ask what particular troubles are you having?

Last edited by ktonton; 11-15-2008 at 10:17 PM.
ktonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
INsearch

Sorry for not getting back to you.

The problems I have? well one is I am easily tempted by an attractive women (as most men probably are) My friends (I have many of them) only want to talk about sex, sex, vulgar sex, and..... lots of cussing yeah... those are pretty much my problems.
Unread 12-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #17
ktonton
Silver Member

Quote:
Sorry for not getting back to you.

The problems I have? well one is I am easily tempted by an attractive women (as most men probably are) My friends (I have many of them) only want to talk about sex, sex, vulgar sex, and..... lots of cussing yeah... those are pretty much my problems.
Yes I'll try to help, one minute.

I never really had or understood the attractive girls problem, but I can try to help anyway.

but I suppose the first thing to do would be to try and find some new friends (but don't drop the old ones completely yet.) Having friends who will be a good influence on you is very important, but I would be exceedinly wary of making friends with the really religious xtians cause they're usualy all gung ho about turning you into an appostate, and I would be wary of religious muslim men because of the whole "yishmealim are suspected in arayot" and sounds like for you doing what I did, and what my rosh yeshiva said was the right thing, making friends with girls cause the boys were too coarse and bad influences isn't an option. For me they could be just friends, for you it sounds like not really.

this must be very hard.
ktonton is offline   Reply With Quote