Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Chinuch

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #26
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimond View Post
A big part of failure that bochurim attribute to the system is as a result of the bochurim themselves not interested in learning or on working on themselves
brainwashed tape
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #27
shimond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chossidnistar View Post
brainwashed tape
no, just experience. I have seen what it takes for bochurim to succeed, and I'm not saying that the system is perfect or close to it, it's just that for some reason there is no viable alternative
Unread 01-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #28
True Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
Sorry - you probably cannot access it. Here is a post of mine there (and yes, I was attacked there (a bit) for it). One can quibble on details, but the general thrust - I think - is accurate, and in the passage of time, and in the context of your questions, I have much more to add. [Also, I will don't want to reopen the quibbles on this post. But I think it is clear in what direction I am going there].
Concerning your other questions: I think it is cause for alarm, and it will not pass (as things are now). There is NO someone to change anything.
The best hope for your kids, is lots of תהילים and hard work on your part.
T613: Some Misnagdishe Yeshivos are doing much better when it comes to learning although they obviously don't learn lishmoh. Would you recommed to look into Misnagdishe Yeshivos instead of Lubavitcher Yeshivos for our kids?
True Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #29
True Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimond View Post
no, just experience. I have seen what it takes for bochurim to succeed, and I'm not saying that the system is perfect or close to it, it's just that for some reason there is no viable alternative
I hate to say this: Today's frum bochrim are the most unmotivated people I've ever seen. In my humble opinion, since they don't get Chayus from learning Kodesh and don't have access to getting Chayus from secular matters, they become real bums.

Sorry. Don't yell at me.
Unread 01-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #30
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Seeker View Post
I hate to say this: Today's frum bochrim are the most unmotivated people I've ever seen. In my humble opinion, since they don't get Chayus from learning Kodesh and don't have access to getting Chayus from secular matters, they become real bums.

Sorry. Don't yell at me.
What do you think is the cause?
Unread 01-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #31
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
T613: Some Misnagdishe Yeshivos are doing much better when it comes to learning although they obviously don't learn lishmoh.
I just love this sentence. Who does learn "lishmo"? More importantly: Who cares?
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #32
True Seeker

Quote:
What do you think is the cause?
Well, you're asking that question to a real simple guy...

Why don't you ask T613?
Unread 01-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #33
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Quote:

Sorry. Don't yell at me.
I take exception to the frequent insults hurled at "todays frum bochurim" or "high school girls today" that I see on this forum. There are plenty of examples of exceptional young men and women learning in the Chabad school system (not to mention Beis Yaakov and others). I find that visitors to Chabad houses are consistently impressed with the children of shluchim as well as the "shliach bochurim" and shluchos that help at camps and other activities.

I have met some very unmotivated bochurim, and I have seen some very unmotivated 40 year olds as well - its not a modern innovation. But to paint this generation with one brush is simply ludicrous.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #34
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Well, you're asking that question to a real simple guy...

Why don't you ask T613?
I asked you ,b/c you have this idea ferom frum LUB bochrim as you had from auto accidents,
Maybe you have an idea of the cause and a solution
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #35
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahTovChelkeinu View Post
I take exception to the frequent insults hurled at "todays frum bochurim" or "high school girls today" that I see on this forum. There are plenty of examples of exceptional young men and women learning in the Chabad school system (not to mention Beis Yaakov and others).
Who said differently?
Quote:
I find that visitors to Chabad houses are consistently impressed with the children of shluchim as well as the "shliach bochurim" and shluchos that help at camps and other activities.
That proves exactly - nothing.
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #36
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Eventhough the Rebbe made it clear that Lubavitch children belong to Lubavitch moisdos and schools, there are some few exceptions I know of Lubavitch children who succeeded in misnagdish schools. The reasons why their parents were unwilling to make them study in the local Lubavitch school were obvious and relevant.
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #37
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosheh5769 View Post
Eventhough the Rebbe made it clear that Lubavitch children belong to Lubavitch moisdos and schools, there are some few exceptions I know of Lubavitch children who succeeded in misnagdish schools. The reasons why their parents were unwilling to make them study in the local Lubavitch school were obvious and relevant.
pl, explain the "obvious and relevant
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #38
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
pl, explain the "obvious and relevant
I won't...
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #39
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosheh5769 View Post
There are complete threads on this.

Start with here: http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=9200
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #40
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Thank you!
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #41
True Seeker

I can imagine one reason for Mosheh5769: Tuition
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #42
True Seeker

Quote:
I asked you ,b/c you have this idea ferom frum LUB bochrim as you had from auto accidents,
Maybe you have an idea of the cause and a solution
I guess I'm only looking at the negative at this point. There're plenty of good bochrim out there. Actually, they are all very good, just that you don't see much interest in learning....
Unread 01-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #43
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
I can imagine one reason for Mosheh5769: Tuition
If it was the only one, B'H, but it isn't the case. There are some more serious problems than this one (and I didn't think about tuition at all, but it may be a problem for some/many. I think that Chabad or not, every Jewish private school is expansive. Sometimes, too expansive. It is time that even fellow Jews realize that "All Jews have money and are rich" is nothing but a myth)

Or maybe I misunderstood you, and you were commenting on my reluctance about sending girls to seminaries