Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Farbrengen

Unread 08-27-2004, 12:02 AM   #1
shliachman

Farbrengens-Todays focus?

What should be the main focus on todays Farbrengens?
Should it be Moshiach, Hiskashrus, Avoidah?
shliachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2004, 12:45 AM   #2
RavSiach
Executive Member

Re: Farbrengens-Todays focus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shliachman
All sound like worthy topics to me, as long as we farbreng.
RavSiach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2004, 11:07 PM   #3
itkaffya

today it seems that very little attention is paid to avodah on a more 'public' level. the basic attidtude seems to be: do your chitas, learn a couple of sichos a week, write in once in a while and your all set. no concentration on working on yourself really. for girls, anyway, farbrengens usually meander on towards hiskashrus. not that this is a bad thing but that there are other parts to being a chossid

MOSHIACH NOW!!
itkaffya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 10:27 AM   #4
Yankel Nosson
Senior Platinum Member

The expression lehavi yemos haMashiach, translated as "to include the Era of the Redemption," literally means "to bring the Era of the Redemption." This implies that the Sages were not merely making a statement that will be relevant in the Era of the Redemption, but rather stated a concept relevant to the Jews at all times: A Jew must realize that "all the days of his life" must be dedicated to a single goal, "to bring the Era of the Redemption."

Sicha, Parshas Shemos 5752
Unread 12-29-2004, 08:52 PM   #5
hope2beAbochur
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shliachman
couldn't a fabrengen include all these topics?? but the main focus will be on why the fabrengen is taking place, for example yud-tes kislev will be about the Alter Rebbe coming out of prison and how this affects... Moshiach, Hiskashrus, Avoidah also how the reason for the fabrengen affects our actual avodah
hope2beAbochur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2005, 12:26 PM   #6
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itkaffya
today it seems that very little attention is paid to avodah on a more 'public' level. the basic attidtude seems to be: do your chitas, learn a couple of sichos a week, write in once in a while and your all set. no concentration on working on yourself really. for girls, anyway, farbrengens usually meander on towards hiskashrus. not that this is a bad thing but that there are other parts to being a chossid
Sorry, I beg to differ. In our school, we have a farbrengen, and then we each take an 'uv'chain'- how are we goiong to be better because of this farbrengen? Also, someone who is truly m'kushar will work on all aspects of being a chassid, because when you are truly m'kushar then it affects everything, right down to how you breathe. (Not that I'm there yet, but I'm working on it...)

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 05:27 AM   #7
Chassidic1

B"H
7, Shvat, 5766

One word: CHASSIDUS

The Rebbe already said this generation is all about Teshuvah from Simcha, which as the Mitteler Rebbe explains in Shar HaYichud means BINAH (analysis), specifically in Chassdius. Teaching and emphasizing Chassidus will make Farbrengins meaningful and provide participants with insights to share with friends, family, and people they meet on Mivtzayim. This kind of Farbrengin, like MT suggested, really includes everything in one.
Chassidic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
avrumi

focus of farbrengens

I think farbrengens nowdays are way too focused on hiskashrus, showing the gadlus of the rebbe, and putting down the litvish world. Most guys at these farbrengens know how great the rebbe is, and are totally unintrested in hearing lashon hara about misnagdim. These farbrengens shoud be more practical. They should discuss real issues and inspire those present to strive to improve themselves.
avrumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

In Hayom Yom 24 Tishrei it says that there should be lots of love when trying to improve people's behavior.

What made a great impression on me, and what still stays in my memory, is how the Mashpiim in Yeshiva used this approach. I remember how one Mashpia encouraged a bochur to hang in there. I remember how one Mashpia told off some bochurim in a humorous way, with everyone, including the boys who were being told off, enjoying and laughing. And the telling-off message which the Mashpia was imparting (with the humor) continues to make an impression on me.

They told stories, or current occurences, which made you feel good to be a Lubavitcher Chossid. They sometimes pointed out what was lacking by others, but they did it with a sensitivity, and in general the feeling of ahavas Yisroel to all Jews was clear.

I think that nowadays, because of the Rebbe's later talks, that a farbrengen should probably point out how the world is changing and becoming more attuned to the Geula.
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #10
avrumi

Quote:
They sometimes pointed out what was lacking by others, but they did it with a sensitivity
I don't see why we need to point out what is lacking by others in order to have a productive farbrengen. There is more than enough lacking within our community, and we shouldn't be so quick to point fingers at others. I think farbrengens should contain more toichen than that.
avrumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #11
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Rashi brings (don't remember where) that when a doctor tells someone to not do something, it's not as effective as when he tells someone to not do something because someone else did it with negative results.

I think that your point is well taken with regard to pointing out our own problems. And others have pointed out in recent posts that our problems should be pointed out, in order that the youth should not make the same mistakes.

But why would you not want lackings of other people and other groups pointed out? Isn't this chinuch? And wouldn't this fit in with the Rashi above? And wasn't this done by elder Mashpiim in years gone by? And, as I mentioned above, it was done with sensitivity and Ahavas Yisroel. It was not meant to push down others. It was meant as a teaching method, to educate.

I remember one expression of the Rebbe regarding a Misnagdishe Rosh Yeshiva who, if I remember correctly, first attended a Lubavitcher Yeshiva, and things weren't so comfortable, so he left, "un er iz gebliben a misnaged ad hayoim!" (and he remained a misnaged till today.)
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 05:16 AM   #12
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

I agree with emes...it isn't proper for mechanchim to be putting down other groups. In addition, waaay too much emphasis is placed on how special Chabad is, and what is happening now is the result. People feel that since they are learning in Chabad, or were born into Chabad, they are automatically a chassid. While each Yid, by virtue of having been born a Yid, is inherently special, being a chassid requires work. The emphasis today needs to be on avoda, because otherwise Chabad is going to deteriorate into just a title, without any משמעות.

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote