Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Chassidus

Unread 05-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
chasidus
Executive Member

was Yaakov avinu a lefty?

in the maamer on lag ba'omer in " it says that yaakovs Hod was on his right side, and that naga kaf yereicho even though the gemora paskens was the right yerech was still the hod.

Does that mean that he was a lefty?
chasidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Rabbi_M

I think that statement (if Yakov was a lefty or not) is far beyond the realm of the drush. The drush says that Netzach and Hod are sometimes switched around; Hod being on the right side and Netzach being on the left. The Pardes brings this idea to resolve 2 conflicitng maamari haZohar. More on this sugya is discussed in the beginning of Derech Mitzvosecho mitzvos Gid Honoshe...
Rabbi_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
chasidus
Executive Member

correct, but the Alter Rebbe writes there that "kein hu ha'emes" that he was actually hurt on his right leg. He brings the pardes that answers the stirah and explains it, and says that in Yaakov this was is hod. So why is it beyond the realm of the drush to make this assumtion?
Unread 05-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Rabbi_M

Once you brought up this sugya bichlal, you might find it very interesting to see what's written in Shaar Hakolol (sfiras haomer), where RAD"L goes on with a whole page of discussion, elucidating this part of the Lag B'omer drush in the Siddur - correlating it with nigleh and nistar.

The reason I said that I think that this "assumption" is beyond the realm of the drush is because it lacks hafshoto. It's a megushemdike kuk at eideleh inyonim. B'pashtus, the maamer is talking about partzufim eyloinim (as in - "ho'ovois hein hein hamerkovo"). Unless you can find a way to explain otherwise, your assumption, to me, seems to be a leap (and not necessarily a logical "conclusion").

In addition to that thought, here's something Malkizedek wrote to the in another thread. It might be helpful in your understanding different relationships (and how things can switch sometimes), as explained by the Pardes here.

Quote:
Now, where I think youre getting caught up is that these terms refer to relationships, rather than to essential concepts. For example, asking how TNTA can be Kesser Chochma Binah Zayin Midos in one place, and Chochma Binah ZA Nukvah in another place is sort of like asking how Sarah can be both Avrahams wife, and Yitzchoks mother. (What is she? A wife? Or a mother?!) Or, better yet, how the UK can be both a friend and an enemy of the USA (Simple, the Kabbalist responds: She was a friend in WWI and WWII, but she was an enemy in the War of 1812, etc.)
Rabbi_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
chasidus
Executive Member

In general I would agree with you about being begashem. however this part of the maamer is clearly speaking about the actual Yaakov. (The Alter Rebbe is being mitavech the pshat al pi kabala, and the pshat al pi nigla based on the halacha. The halacha being decided from the actual events of the story.)