Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > The World of Lubavitch

Unread 08-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
FlyingAxe
Silver Member

The story of Arizal and imaginary dollars

My friend and I were discussing this video: http://youtu.be/BOutMPeLBcQ

I told him that in my opinion, these people are delusional, and their behavior is similar to that of someone pretending there is still physical Beis HaMikdosh and — since "the avoida continues" (as he put it regarding the dollars after Gimmel Tammuz) — bringing sacrifices in one's backyard.

So, he answered with this story:

Quote:
I am reminded of the story of the holy Ari where a certain simple Jew heard a shiur about the challahs that were put onto the alter (inside the ark?) in Temple. He decided to do so and every morning would put challas near the Sefer Torahs and leave, and the Gabbai would then collect it without knowing from whom it was.

When the Rabbi once stayed for tikkun chatos and saw this, he severly reprimanded this Jew for the stupidity he is doing (insert hillul Hashem here).

Soon after a messanger from the Ari came informing the Rabbi that he has 3 days left to live. He ran to the Ari to ask what was his transgression and the Ari responded that the Nachas that this simple Jew gave Hashem with thoes challahs, Hashem did not experience for 2000 years.

When a person does something whole heartedely, you cannot reprove him.

More so, this is not just emotional lunatics, but people who understand that the Rebbe is still here, alive, knowing your thoughts, giving you blessings. We take 3 steps in Amidah not for Hashem, but for us. Here to, the line, the approach, the dollar is for us, it's an avodah, and there is absolutely no reason why it should be stopped.
First: I do not believe that this story happened. Has anyone heard of it and seen its source? And if it has indeed happened, what it the moral of the story supposed to be?

Second: what do you think about the above video? I don't care about the mishichistim vs. non-m'm debate right now. I am just interested in how one can justify that behavior.
FlyingAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
FlyingAxe
Silver Member

Source for the story: http://www.tannentorah.com/index.php...5&templateid=1
FlyingAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

The story has no connection to this meshugas - IMHO.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
lamed

The guy in the story didn't get his friend to eat the bread for him while claiming that the last kohen godol was somehow involved. If there was an organized movement that claimed the Beis HaMikdash was standing and actually offered korbanos, how do you think it would be viewed?

As an aside, that link dates R' Moshe Hagiz about a century earlier than he actually lived. He was born 99 years after the Ari's passing, so it seems unlikely he heard the story from anyone who was alive when it happened.
lamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 01:53 AM   #5
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

http://www.hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager....&st=&pgnum=105
Unread 08-25-2011, 02:48 AM   #6
lamed

Thanks for doing my work for me, Torah613.
lamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

My pleasure.