Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Farbrengen

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 12-24-2001, 09:16 PM   #1
Tzemach
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Chassidic "Quotable Quotes"

"Banacht liegt men padjames, in derefri trinkt men juice, un m'vil nuch farshtein chassidus?" -- Reb Shmuel Livitin
Tzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2001, 09:20 PM   #2
ChilinInCali
Executive Member

Reb Zalman Zezmer

Reb Zalman Zezmer said:"der vos ken nit halten der machshova fertzen sho'oh nochanand, iz nit b'geder odom".

Heard from: R. Volf Greenglass sheyichye, the mashpia in Tomchei Tmimim Lubavitch, in Montreal.
ChilinInCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2001, 09:21 PM   #3
ChilinInCali
Executive Member

Reb Hillel Paritcher

Reb Hillel Paritcher said: "mir un der katz zainen b'shove b'erech tzu Reb Zalman Zezmer".

The Tzemach Tzedek said that he has 21/2 Chassidim, so he was asked who is the half? And he answered that the half is Reb Hillel Paritcher, because he is a half a Rebbe.

From all the above we only begin to get a glimpse of how great Reb Zalman Zezmer was, one of the Alter rebbe's greatest Chassidim.

By the way, does anyone know who the 2 Chassidim are? I think one of them was Reb Peretz Chein, the Rov in Chernigov.
ChilinInCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2001, 07:49 PM   #4
Lubamessimaniac
Silver Member

This one's from Ofer Maidovnik: "Many people think that when they learn a sicha, 'HaRebbe midaber alay'- the Rebbe is speaking about me. But that's wrong! When you learn a sicha, the attitude must be 'haRebbe medaber AILAY'- the Rebbe is speaking TO me!"

He said that when you have that attitude, complacence disappears...
Unread 12-25-2001, 07:50 PM   #5
Jude
Executive Platinum Member

R' Avrohom Pariz was in his hometown of Bobruisk and was walking down the street when someone approached him and asked him to be the 10th in a minyan for mincha. When R' Avrohom entered the beis medrash he saw his friend, R' Aryeh Leib Sheinen sitting in tallis and tefillin and davening b'arichus. R' Avrohom saw that if they counted R' Aryeh Leib, they had a minyan without him.

When R' Avrohom asked why they didn't count his friend in the minyan, they said that the bachur was sitting there since the morning, and didn't see or hear what was going on around him, and so they thought he had lost his mind and couldn't be part of their minyan ...

That's when R' Avrohom understood: the difference between R' Aryeh and himself was that the baalei battim still thought he was sane. R' Avrohom would relate this incident and say that it motivated him to begin working on avoda more zealously.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2001, 07:50 PM   #6
ChachChach
Gold Member

could someone translate those quotes?
ChachChach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2001, 05:07 AM   #7
rebbeschossid

Translation of Hebrew (Yiddish) quotes

<<Banacht liegt men padjames, in derefri trinkt men juice, un m'vil nuch farshtein chassidus?>>

At night one puts on pajamas, in the morning he drinks juice, and [after that] he still wants to understand Chassidus?

<<der vos ken nit halten der machshova fertzen sho'oh nochanand, iz nit b'geder odom.>>

One who can not concentrate for 14 hours consecutively [on one thought], is not in the category of humanity.

<<mir un der katz zainen b'shove b'erech tzu Reb Zalman Zezmer>>

Myself and the cat are equal in comparison to Reb Zalmen Zezmer...

These quotes are Chassidic feelings with deep meaning generally requiring much thought to properly comprehend. In most cases these and others were expressed during a farbrengen or other chassidic gathering.

Last edited by rebbeschossid; 12-26-2001 at 05:14 AM.
rebbeschossid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2002, 08:18 PM   #8
ChachChach
Gold Member

reb mendel futerfas would say when he was in russia: (i dont know the yiddish, if anyone does, feel free to post it)

"there is no yesterday and no tomorrow. all there is-is a little of today, so why worry?"

Down with politics!
ChachChach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2002, 02:17 AM   #9
Lubamessimaniac
Silver Member

That sounds a lot like "He'ovar ayin vehe'osid adayin, veha'hoiveh keheref ayin - daago minayin?"

The past is nothing, the future has yet to be and the present is like the blink of an eye, so where does worry come in?

Check the liner notes of MBD's Double Album for where the quote is from, but it's definitely Talmudic.
Unread 01-16-2002, 08:41 AM   #10
Chabad Friend
Gold Member

"He'ovar ayin vehe'osid adayin, veha'hoiveh keheref ayin - daago minayin?"

>but it's definitely Talmudic.

Actually , it''s from a rishon. A poem that the Ibn Ezra wrote. I couldn't find it inside, because my yeshiva was missing that volume.
Chabad Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2002, 03:54 PM   #11
Jude
Executive Platinum Member

In Likutei Diburim, the Frierdiker Rebbe says that just like in the worldwide Jewish community, any particular Jewish community mirrors Man with head, heart, internal organs, external limbs and pipes for blood and air.

The rabbanim are its head

the shochtim are its heart (a shochet is not merely a man with a knife; he is a pillar of Torah and of yiras shomayim. He should be known not only through the slaughterhouse and butcher store, but also through his own Gemara learning and through the shiurim he gives)

the internal organs are the teachers and learned balebatim

the external limbs are the faithful members of the community

the pipes are the youth - some pipes supply blood, others - air. Those that supply air are the yeshiva students who give life to worldwide Jewry and serve as role models

the blood vessels are the worldly youth who don't get the proper Torah chinuch. This kind of "modern" schooling has killed off some of our youth, depriving them of their humanity and warping their characters, no tefilin, no Shabbos ...

Bodily health is measured by the blood vessels. The Jewish body is ailing and must be healed! When the head and heart and internal organs are healthy, the whole body will be healed.

Last edited by Jude; 02-03-2002 at 02:03 PM.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2002, 04:35 PM   #12
WanderingJew
Executive Member

One of my favorites is the last hayom yom of the year before Yud-Ts-kislev, a quote from the Alter Rebbe...
"ich vl ze gornisht! ich vil nisht dein gan Eden, ich vil nist dein olam haba, ich vill mer nisht vi dich alein"....
in english-I don;t desire anything! i don't want your gan eden, I don't want your Olam haba, i want nothing more than YOU-
(Or Ain Sof?)
i think this is Chabad Chassidus-our greatest goals are not rewards and accomplishents, even spiritual ones..
Our greatest goal is to cleave to Atzmus itself, the essence of Hashem
Unread 02-23-2002, 11:05 PM   #13
Lubamessimaniac
Silver Member

Dunno who said this, but it's important:

The gemara says in certain places,
"Rebbe loi shono, Chiyo minayin?" - If Rebbe didn't teach it, then how would R' Chiya [who was Rebbe's student] know it?

The Lubavitch interpretation is - "If you're not by the Rebbe for a year, where would we get the chayus from?!" Chayus over here goes both according to the explanation "vitality" and "lebedikeit"...
Unread 02-28-2002, 08:59 PM   #14
WanderingJew
Executive Member

you're so right, Lub.
It's amazing what a few days in CH (if you come in with that intent), at the Ohel, 770, etc. can do for you.
Unread 05-15-2002, 02:46 AM   #15
Lubamessimaniac
Silver Member

Here's another golden line:

There's a possuk in Tehillim: "Ono eilech mruchecha, v'ono miponecho evrach? Im esak shomayim shom ato, v'atziyo shioil hineko!" Trans: "Where can I run from Your Spirit, and where can I escape Your Countenance? If I climb to the heavens, You are there; if I descend to the depths - here You are!"

Interpretation: If I climb to the heavens - if I make myself out to be great (egotistically), then "You are there" - Hashem is no closer to me than "there"!

Mah sheain kayn if I lower myself to the depths, I make myself humble and lowly, "HERE You are!" Then I have begun to get close to Hashem!

This idea goes hand in hand with Tanya Iggeres Hakoidesh #2, Katointi. I think I saw it in "Kulom B'Chochma".
Unread 05-16-2002, 12:25 AM   #16
Shlucha
Silver Member

A favorite quote of mine (from the Rebbe)
"Besser Lachen Vi Veinin"
Better to laugh than to cry
Shlucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2002, 01:19 PM   #17
rebayzl
Senior Diamond Member

How about a Kotzker Vort: "Fun A Kashe iz noch keiner nisht geshtorben".
rebayzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2002, 04:26 PM   #18
HoravDave
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shlucha
A favorite quote of mine (from the Rebbe)
"Besser Lachen Vi Veinin"
Better to laugh than to cry
Where is that from?
HoravDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2002, 04:30 PM   #19
HoravDave
Silver Member

A qoute from the Tzemach Tzedek (Hayom Yom 10 Shvat)

Besser essen farin davenen vi fun Davenen farn Esen

Trans. It is better to eat to have strenth for Davvening then to Davven but thinking about breakfast the entire time
HoravDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2002, 11:49 PM   #20
rebbeschossid

Quote:
Originally posted by rebayzl
How about a Kotzker Vort: "Fun A Kashe iz noch keiner nisht geshtorben".
Yakov avinu lo meis - vhalo v'chu - and here comes the supposed above vort - but the gemoro answers someting else.no? so where does the vort come in?
Unread 08-15-2002, 10:18 PM   #21
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

"Kvar Shomati" (I already heard, i.e. I know that already) is a Klipa.

Chassidus is perfect, Chassidim are not.
hishtatchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2002, 02:55 PM   #22
trahey

Quote:
Originally posted by Lubamessimaniac
Dunno who said this, but it's important:

The gemara says in certain places,
"Rebbe loi shono, Chiyo minayin?" - If Rebbe didn't teach it, then how would R' Chiya [who was Rebbe's student] know it?

The Lubavitch interpretation is - "If you're not by the Rebbe for a year, where would we get the chayus from?!" Chayus over here goes both according to the explanation "vitality" and "lebedikeit"...
it not a lubavitcher vort but a poilishe one.
Unread 02-17-2003, 03:20 PM   #23
zaque36
Silver Member

While pursuing happiness we are in flight from contentment.
Unread 02-17-2003, 04:04 PM   #24
Chabad Friend
Gold Member

<<<it not a lubavitcher vort but a poilishe one.>>>

Trahey, that is what has happened to Lubavitchers lately. Some will tell you it is the Rebbe's rotzon. That is why I was interested in verifying reb Mendel Futerfas' post-3 Tammuz stance. He seems to be in part responsible for the Poilish-ification of Chabad. The Rebbe made that the policy as far as mofsim stories go, as is known from that now-famous letter to the FR. It seems that many chassidim extended it to all other areas of Chabad Chassidish life as well. And BM magazine wants that as well. The story from BM magazine quotes Reb Mendel as using that line (Chiya minayin.)

Last edited by Rabbi_D; 02-19-2003 at 09:14 AM.
Chabad Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2004, 08:11 PM   #25
iamachassid
Diamond Member

A man was sitting at a farbrengen and his hosts were worried that he might be bored because he didn't know a word of yiddish. After the farbrengen they asked him if he enjoyed it, if he understood anything. He said he understood everything because the Rebbe kept saying in Hebrew "vioid vhu haikar", more, (do more, add more) and that's the main thing.