Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Farbrengen

Unread 03-30-2004, 04:30 PM   #76
Jude
Executive Platinum Member

well, what's the story?

got any source from the Rebbe in which he refers to women/girls farbrenging?
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2004, 01:18 AM   #77
stwill
Silver Member

Re: L'chaim on Soda

Quote:
Originally posted by Col
Once at a Farbrengen (erev Shavuos 1979) the Rebbe said that a siddur and tzedaka should be given to all boys and girls who were there, and that they should say l'chaim. the Rebbe said, "All the girls in the ezras nashim should say l'chaim on soda or something like that." (from a diary of 1979)
Assuming this story is true, doesn't it imply that the women were considered participants in the Farbrengen (albeit without Mashke)?
stwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2004, 10:29 AM   #78
Jude
Executive Platinum Member

does this remez satisfy you?
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 02:33 AM   #79
bshojat

Wow! I didnt know girls love drinking, but anyways, i want to clarify something:

The reason why men drink at farbrengens is so they should open up and talk, because usually men are very restrained about their feelings.

Women on the other hand are very talkative and express their feeling in public(even if not at a farbrengen...), therefore i dont see a need in women farbrenging on mashke, because they dont need it, clear and simple.

if you dont believe what i wrote, you may want to ask a psychologist or anybody who knows the difference between men and women, that men have a much stronger problem of expressing themselves than men.
Unread 04-23-2004, 05:13 AM   #80
stwill
Silver Member

Quote:
Women on the other hand are very talkative and express their feeling in public(even if not at a farbrengen...), therefore i dont see a need in women farbrenging on mashke, because they dont need it, clear and simple.
I know all that, and agree with it, but still -
Quote:
I have also found girls' (and even more so women's) Farbrengens to be much more formal and less relaxed and open than men's. I'm not saying we're supposed to get drunk and curse each other out, but women are very self-conscious of how they sound and look, and could use some inhibition-lowering tactics

BTW, Jude, isn't there some kind of rule that for something we know is good, a Remez is enough?

Last edited by stwill; 04-23-2004 at 05:22 AM.
stwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 08:02 AM   #81
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

Girls are more talkative, but not necessarily so in large groups. It can take so long to get "into" it that some Farbrengens never really start.
hishtatchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #82
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Girls don't need l'chayim because they're better than boys!

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #83
Eltere Chossid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewgal84 View Post
ok i dont want to mix kasha and borscht over here- but didnt the rebbe give out kos shel brocha to men...and.. WOMEN/girls?
For the same reason that girls have kiddush
Eltere Chossid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #84
Eltere Chossid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorthinker View Post
Girls don't need l'chayim because they're better than boys!
Huh?
Eltere Chossid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #85
ssrs94

Girls farbrenging.

Please excuse me for reawakening this ancient post but wanted to say a few things:

Girls do NOT need and should NOT have mashke at their Farbrengens.
I have had many Farbrengens where I felt like flying home because it was so "geshmak" and the lessons and feelings were brought up to be felt in such a practical way.
At one, we were even crying that Moshiach was not here yet and were screaming "Ad mosai!?". It was quite the quite!

So for all those girls who have previously said that they have experienced some dull Farbrengens, it has nothing to do with the mashke or the idea of farbrengening, it had to do with the girls not knowing how to farbreng.
So no need to for mashke.
Soda will definitely do! And boy (excuse the pun) will it do if you really want to have a farbrengen! Nothing stands in the way of will!

(If girls want to to drink, feel free to join your brothers when your father distributes a Lechayim to them. Don't get the Lubavitch world involved or well have a few more problems than a shidduch crisis and tznius issues...)

Also, drinking for women is not tznius. G'endikt! Not because were second class or something to that effect but because hatznea leeches just doesn't coincide with drinking...! It's something beautiful, not deragatory ch"v!
(Boys have different aspects of tznius although, no, they should not roam the streets while still in a drunken stupor, breching all over the streets. That's not either tznius and girls should not take example).

-Side point: If you want to get a farbrengen going, sing a nighun for a reallllly long time- then sing ani maamin like that. That will get the topic of MOSHIACH up and running and there's no stopping there

For those of you who said that girls don't need Farbrengens since there is no history of them doing so, find me the time when the girls went to school and then give me this argument! Also, find me the time when unmarried girls lit shabbos candles!
The Rebbe said about those two examples that when instituting a new minhag will be to the benefit of Bnei Yisroel, we add it. (The example of chinch habanos was actually brought to back up the "new minhag" of single girls benching licht).
Women and girls DESERVE farbrengens. It is unclear why some people think they can go on all their life without inspiration while men farbreng every shabbos!
The world is different now, in the ikvesa demeshicho that the womens pivotal role in society in becoming more apparent. (When Moshiach comes, women will be the "ikar").
For the same reason that women should start learning Gemara (They didn't used to go out into the world, but now that they do since it's the time of ikvesa demeshicho [as explained above], they need a higher dose of Ruchnius just like the men did), they can DEFINATELY and SHOULD participate in Farbrengens! (Without mashke of course)

Plus, if I remember correctly.there's a Rebbe letter which encourages women in the N'shei coming together to strengthen themselves with a farbrengen!
(No mashke mentioned)
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #86
Sponge
Banned

Liquor

Proverbs 31:4 -- it is not for kings to drink wine,nor for Princes strong drink..
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote