Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Farbrengen

Unread 02-27-2002, 03:08 PM   #26
Jack's Sis

I dunno--but personally I have a very high tolerance.. and am allowed to drink at the shabbos/yom tov table or by the purim seuda for example... I in general drink as much, or MORE than guys at the table... and they end up shikkur and I'm totally sober... so what do u say?
Unread 02-27-2002, 07:10 PM   #27
WanderingJew
Executive Member

Yikes, hope you're not totally immune, it's not a good sign at all
jack's sis, u gotta admit its a little out of the ordinary, don't u think?
alcohol is supposed to get you high.if it doesn't-whats happening?
general statement-can someone please react to my aforementioned post? i did not get any revelations in the meantime
Unread 02-27-2002, 09:28 PM   #28
Jac
Silver Member

I agree, wandering. I too am waiting for a response to your aforementioned post.
Jac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2002, 12:52 PM   #29
Jude
Executive Platinum Member

btw - the Rambam, when listing all the man's responsibilities to his wife, mentions providing wine, for that was the drink of the time

WanderingJew: what are you asking exactly? Why the Shulchan Aruch says what it says? You can ask that on everything stated therein, but somehow here your question doesn't sound so much like a question but more like a strongly worded statement. The statement seems to be: I don't like the way women are regarded by halacha.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2002, 03:55 PM   #30
WanderingJew
Executive Member

I'll reword that for you.
I don't like the way this topic has been interpreted and discussed so far, and I have not found a satisfactory answer to what i am asking.
As in the women's role issue, many topics in Halacha that seem to put down women (C"V) need a little more insight, and it comes into focus, and its inner meaning and beauty is revealed.
a point-blank statement like that, about women drinking, cannot remain that way. let's get practical..
what does it mean?
throwing the book at someone doesn't get you very far.
it can confuse and distort, if you don't explain Halacha.
Unread 03-02-2002, 02:43 AM   #31
Jude

"as to the women's role issue" - this is better discussed in that thread. In that thread I as well as others offered various perspectives on understanding women's role in Yiddishkeit.

"let's get practical" -
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2002, 03:09 AM   #32
Jac
Silver Member

WanderingJew, E-X-A-C-T-L-Y!!! That is precisely the point that I have not been able to put my finger on. This applies perfectly to the women's role thread too.
Thank you!
So...responses, anyone?
Unread 03-07-2002, 01:52 AM   #33
bshojat

Sometime ago "WanderingJew" wrote as follows:
Have any of you guys seen a certain picture in Challenge (describing Chabad in Israel in the early years), which i remember quite clearly, of a woman pouring a girl a shot of Smirnoff, at a farby in Kfar Chabad?
i think it used to be more acceptable for girls and women to drink lechaims.

---
Happens to be that this certain picture is of giving out mashke from the Rebbe, ehich the Rebbe sent to that Farbrengen, and THAT'S why you see girls pouring mashke from a smirnoff bottle.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMHO, i think liquor or wine at a women's or girls' gatherings, as long as evrybody is mature enough to handle it, adds a festive tone and yes, it does help people loosen up and get more comfortable.
Seems to me that girls have a harder time opening up at farbys than guys, if anything, especially since farbrenging for girls is not such a intrinsic part of our Chassidic education, as much as for Bochurim.

---
I think that's it's right that girls farbreng but WITHOUT MASHKE as its known that in the organization which the rebbe rayatz founded called achos tmimim which it's purpose is that girls should farbreng with a mashpia (most probably a woman mashpia) and in some pictures of this kind of gatherings you see clearly mashke on the table (and in some farbrengens the rebbetzin shterna sara or rebbetzin necahama dina would participate). i had seen somewhere a picture of the rebbetzin chaya mushka (when she was a teenager?) at a farbrengen with three more girls.

Last edited by bshojat; 04-19-2002 at 03:17 AM.
bshojat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2002, 12:58 AM   #34
Shosha

Just joined and just wondering: Where are the women here? I find both the question and answers here appalling on so many levels....

Last edited by Shosha; 03-13-2002 at 01:57 AM.
Shosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2002, 01:16 PM   #35
Jac
Silver Member

Good question....
Why don't you add your input so there will be more of your viewpoint included here?
Unread 04-02-2002, 02:40 AM   #36
Jack

I heard a story about one of the Rebbeim that said that a group of kids should have a farbrengen and they should make L'chaim on lemonade because that is all that is needed to open them up. Can anyone confirm such a story?
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2002, 03:13 AM   #37
unowho

hey again and again i didnt read the hole thing so if sumthing i said is rong tell em i think girls should be able to drink at farbrangens jsu tas it is untzneuis for gurlz to go round drunk same for guyz
unowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2002, 09:13 PM   #38
Jac
Silver Member

unowho, why don't you read up on the whole thread? Some answers are given.
I once heard another response: no one really is allowed to drink, in general. If it's at a farbrengen, and the person is drinking the proper amount, then the Rebbe personally allows it and therefore takes responsibility for it. When it comes to females, however, there never was any such takana to drink, so there's no reason why they SHOULD be allowed to.

You might not like any of these answers, though . Look, if you really want to drink, remember the risks and dangers involved, and then make a wise, informed decision. (If you do insist, try it sometime and see how you like it. :-))
Unread 04-24-2002, 02:22 AM   #39
noahidelaws

BS"D Hey - I like that answer! It sounds like a Tosfos.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2002, 12:45 AM   #40
smile00

Personaly i think it's just an excuse when girls say if we drink wine it will help us get more into it, try singing i think it does a better job, if you like wine drink it, but don't use it as an excuse!!
smile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2002, 11:06 AM   #41
jewgal84
Executive Member

Arrow

ok i am a girl, can i give my input?
#1- @ school the principal gives us out lechaim @ farbrengens...on grape juice - but we still make a lechaim- so if any girls were worried about not allowed to make a lechaim- u can.. on grapejuice!
#2- if a girl has control over herself- and knows her limit, why cant she be allowed to drink a shot of "maske" /vodak,absolute..
*personally, every friday night when my father makes a lechaim with all my brothers- i ask for a shot and my father gives me... ok not a full shot...- but i can handle it, and i am sure i am speaking on behalf of a lot of girls out there- if you are at an all-girls farbrengen, is it that terrible to drink?
y did it come of the habbit for bochurim,boys etc to drink at farbrengen-? and not girls?
ok i dont want to mix kasha and borscht over here- but didnt the rebbe give out kos shel brocha to men...and.. WOMEN/girls?
Unread 06-02-2002, 10:09 PM   #42
chillpill

hey guyz. i haven't read the whole disscussion but my opinion iz that gurlz should not drink mashkeh. i think it would me untznius & inappropriate. i actualy wish i could go 2 a guy farbrengen, 'cuz gurl farbrengen's r so annoying 'cuz u can't really loosen up but the way i see men & boyz get drunk it would be krazy if gurlz would be allowed 2 go 2 that extent.
chillpill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2002, 12:30 AM   #43
BrookAve
Silver Member

I have 4 teen daughters and one of them loves alcohol. She can drink a whole bottle of wine friday night if I let her. My wife is ok with her having one glass. I would let her drink whatever she wants. I figure that she will get sick and not want to drink anymore. I tried it. I doesnt work. My fathers family comes from a heavy drinking bunch. My grandfather in poland had an "inn" and they made their own vodka. They drank it like water. There was always mashke in my house. L'chaim!
BrookAve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2002, 12:09 AM   #44
NevEr

I don't know what type of farbrengens you girls go to but whenever I go to a GOOD farbi--no doubt there is a bottle of mashke going around, okay noone gets stoned(or the like) but thats just better judgement on the girls "how much to drink"
Also in my house friday nite you will always find me with a little "drink"-NO PROBLEM!!!!!
NevEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2002, 12:49 AM   #45
BrookAve
Silver Member

The ladies have their "women's brandies" sweet and yeeeechhhh. I guess a couple of dranbuies will give you wings!
BrookAve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2002, 08:27 PM   #46
rena

i don't understand because its such a chillul Hashem for bochrim to walk in the street drunk after farbrengen if you would say girls cant cuz of tznius
rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2002, 05:58 AM   #47
IshKoton

Women have much less inhibitions than men. When they get together they talk quite freely about personal inyonim, and therefore thay can fabreng successfully without the need of mashka.

Men however usually keep their feelings to themselves and try not to let others knowif they have any problem so they need mashka to open up.
IshKoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2002, 11:28 AM   #48
rena

i'm sorry, i just dont see how that answers the question
rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2002, 12:05 PM   #49
masbir
Senior Diamond Member

In truth you are right, the Rebbe is against becoming drunk even for bochurim.

Why girls dont have Lechaim and woman dont? I will give you the a simple historical reason.

Men farbrengens is as old as Chasidos itself over 200 years and all those yaers they drank lechyim. Now when the Rebbe came out wiith the issur and there were those old Chasidim of 70 80 90 yr's old who werethe Mashpiim they had a hard time stopping that ancient tradition (I think the more the old mashpiim pass away the less Mashke is at the center of the Farbrengen).

Woman farbrengen is quite a new phenomonan, maybe 35 yrs old and began well post the Rebbes Mashke prohobition and there were no old Mashpiyas who perserved a tradition, so the Rebbe will was easy to enforce.
masbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2002, 12:17 AM   #50
shoyn
Diamond Member

<I think the more the old mashpiim pass away the less Mashke is at the center of the Farbrengen). >

Got to tell you masbir that from my experience the opposite is true.
shoyn is offline   Reply With Quote