Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Farbrengen

Unread 06-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Fesoy
Executive Member

A chassid had yechidus and was prescribed an order of avoda. What do we do today?

Quote:
Among my grandfather's aphorisms: The intellectual and emotional structure of the chassid is consonant with his first yechidus with his Rebbe. The first yechidus is in accordance with the essence-character of the chassid. The Rebbe prescribes an order of avoda appropriate to the nature of the chassid's essence-character.
Ha Yom Yom, 20 Sivan

What are we supposed to do today? How do we go about finding this personal level of avoda?

This message in the Ha Yom Yom doesn't seem to be something that is practical today. We can't get a yechidus or a prescription appropriate to the nature of our essence-character. So, what are we to learn from this?

I asked this question in the Farbrengen section of the forum because it seems to be a good question for a fargrengen. If it is in the wrong section would a moderator please move it rather than deleting it.
Thank you.
Fesoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

A competent mashpia. Like chassidim of old who could not go into yechidus.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Fesoy
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
A competent mashpia. Like chassidim of old who could not go into yechidus.
Simply competent may not be enough. Wouldn't it require someone uniquely qualified to assess the essence character?
Unread 06-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Private yechidus stopped almost 30 years ago. Tanya was written for those that could not enter yechidus (see the hakdama). Etc.
Unread 06-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Fesoy
Executive Member

The Tanya is "shave le kol nefesh". I can see how it is a general guide for everyone.

LA"D, it seems that a one time chasidim received a specific avoda that pertained to them alone. That was determined by the Rebbe at their first yechidus. They would have other yechidism and other questions addressed. The Tanya is the essential guide for all these questions as stated in the hakdama. The AR instructed his chasidim to help explain the Tanya to those with questions who could not go to the Rebbe.

This Ha Yom Yom is not referring to general advice, rather something very special. We don't seem to have this today.

What mashpia can tell what is this essence level of the soul?
Unread 06-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

My point is, that even in the good old days, not every chosid merited to go into yechidus.
Unread 06-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Fesoy
Executive Member

So what lesson are we to take from today's hayom yom?

[In questioning tone] Even then not every chassid got this gift of a yechidus. Those who did received a lifetime path in avoda. We are like those who didn't?

So where's the practical lesson that we are supposed to take.
Torah is a lesson not a story.
Unread 06-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

This is really hashgocho protis; I was farbrenging with someone just the other day about this question. Without reaching any answer. The question is about as answerable as "why isn't Moshiach here".
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

If I understand the intro to Tanya corectly, Tanya was (to an extent) in the place of yechidus.

Last edited by Torah613; 06-14-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Unread 06-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
Fesoy
Executive Member

The Alter Rebbe writes," I have recorded all the replies to all the questions, to be preserved as a visual reminder for each and every person, so that he will no longer press for admission to private conference with me. For in these responsa he will find peace for his soul, and true counsel for every matter that he finds difficult in the service of G-d."

I am having a hard time understanding how someone can look at the Tanya and know what his individual avoda, based on his essence, is to be.

Sure there are countless aitzas for many diverse life/avoda issues, but where is the specific answer that addresses this essential question?

The Hayom Yom implied that this yechidus where the chassid received his "path" continued with every Rebbe.

Therfore, chazer kasha leduchta.

Does anyone know if the Rebbe addressed this, and if so where?
Unread 06-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Which is why the AR a bit further down urges one to go to the elders in his city etc.
Unread 06-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

I think this is one of those sort of unfortunate times where we have to say that we miss the Rebbe. And when the Rebbe was alive in the later years... I think we were saying that it was difficult to share, but even then there was dollars, letters, etc.

BE"H Moshiach should come already and there will be time for all of us.

An example, had a friend with a question about which direction to go in his parnosa. His Rav was encouraging one direction very strongly, his mashpiah was encouraging a different direction. Likewise mavinim in the profession gave different answers. It was a very good question to write the Rebbe about, and in discussions we both sort of noted that it was a shame that the Rebbe wasn't able to give the clear answers (pen on paper) he used to.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahTovChelkeinu View Post
An example, had a friend with a question about which direction to go in his parnosa. His Rav was encouraging one direction very strongly, his mashpiah was encouraging a different direction. Likewise mavinim in the profession gave different answers. It was a very good question to write the Rebbe about, and in discussions we both sort of noted that it was a shame that the Rebbe wasn't able to give the clear answers (pen on paper) he used to.
this why the Rebbe said to ask 3,acharei rabim lehatos
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
I think this is one of those sort of unfortunate times where we have to say that we miss the Rebbe.
I did not imply anything different.
Unread 06-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

in not so old times, until the 5730's or 1970's ,most chassidim who lived in other countries, they almost did not have communication with the Rebbe
they were not computers, not videos, not magazines,telephone calls were very expensive and they had to wait hours fo a call (there were not direct calls), airplaines tickets were very expensive
some , maybe they were zoche to go to the Rebbe once in a lifetime
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #16
Kookoo Kabalist
Executive Member

Anyone here remember placing a direct "person to person" call to "Mr. Entfer" in 770?
Kookoo Kabalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #17
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Better to ask first who remembers placing collect calls...or knows what it means.
Unread 06-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #18
Fesoy
Executive Member

Quote:
I think this is one of those sort of unfortunate times where we have to say that we miss the Rebbe. And when the Rebbe was alive in the later years... I think we were saying that it was difficult to share, but even then there was dollars, letters, etc.

BE"H Moshiach should come already and there will be time for all of us.
Amen!

But, what are we supposed to learn from the HaYom Yom other than an amaleke maaise?
Unread 06-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Well, first we learn about what a Rebbe can do, which in turn encourages us to do what we can to create and strengthen our relationship with our Rebbe.

Second, the Hayom Yom teaches us that there is a specific avodah for each person. That avodah relates to that person's personality and is therefore more or less unique. While we cannot go to Yechidus to reveal the answer as clearly as it was with the A"R, that doesn't negate the existence of that special avodah for each of us - it just makes it harder to figrue out.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #20
Fesoy
Executive Member

Quote:
Well, first we learn about what a Rebbe can do, which in turn encourages us to do what we can to create and strengthen our relationship with our Rebbe.

Second, the Hayom Yom teaches us that there is a specific avodah for each person. That avodah relates to that person's personality and is therefore more or less unique. While we cannot go to Yechidus to reveal the answer as clearly as it was with the A"R, that doesn't negate the existence of that special avodah for each of us - it just makes it harder to figrue out.

Thank you. I like your answer.
Unread 06-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #21
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
Better to ask first who remembers placing collect calls...or knows what it means.
Nobody nowadays places collect calls? I haven't used a payphone in a few years, but who doesn't know how to?

!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote