Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Farbrengen

Unread 06-20-2008, 04:00 AM   #1
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Who is Jacob Isaacs author of Our People?

I've read how the Rebbe was involved in producing this book, I'm not sure to what extent. I think that the first volume was printed in 1946.

Was Jacob Isaacs the real name? Does anyone know anything about him?
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Where did you read that the Rebbe was involved in this (though it is typical to have the Rebbe "involved" in anything that came out in that time period...)?
I think it obvious that there is no person by that name.
The style reminds me of Mindel.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

http://www.chabad.org/therebbe/artic...the-Artist.htm
Look in the paragraph about the Map of Exodus.

I also thought that it might be Nissan Mindel. Perhaps Isaac's refers to the Fridike Rebbe.
Not sure what Jacob would mean.

Probably Michel Schwartz would know who the author is.
Unread 06-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

I wonder why the Rebbe chose that route for kriyas Yam Suf. (That it was in the Mediterranean, and that they crossed from one side back to the same side, further up.) Someone once told me that no one else picked that route, that you don't see it in any other books.

Perhaps others didn't choose it because that sea (the Mediterranean) is called Yam Hagodol, not Yam Suf. And because it doesn't cross a body of water from one side to the opposite side.

But just like a country has states or provinces, a sea could also. So it could be called Yam Hagodol, and parts of it could have other names.

And it doesn't say that they went from one side to the opposite side.

Also, Rashi says that the Yidden may have worried that just like they went up on one side, the Egyptians may have gone up on another side and they will chase us, (so Hashem brought the Egyptian bodies on the shore). But why would they worry if they were on the opposite side, with a lot of water seperating them?

Also I saw online that the Mediterranean is famous for large reeds. So when the Torah says "Yam Suf" (a sea of reeds) one could readily assume that it is in the Mediterranean (Yam Hagodol).
Unread 06-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Let's all decide to assume things in the Chumash based on what we see on the internet today.

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

The internet can give us information.
We can then use that information to help us analyze.

So in this case, the internet tells us that reeds are prevalent in the Mediteranean. We can then use this information to perhaps help us understand why the Mediteranean was chosen as Yam Suf (in Our People).
Unread 06-21-2008, 11:47 PM   #7
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emes m'eretz View Post
Also, Rashi says that the Yidden may have worried that just like they went up on one side, the Egyptians may have gone up on another side and they will chase us, (so Hashem brought the Egyptian bodies on the shore). But why would they worry if they were on the opposite side, with a lot of water seperating them?
Sorry, I later realized that the logic is faulty here.
Rashi's comment could fit in just as easily where the Yidden crossed to an opposite side. They could have worried that the Egyptians may have also crossed to the same opposite side where the Yidden were, on another side (or another shore) close by.
Unread 06-22-2008, 12:29 AM   #8
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

This is well known, and has been published by many as well, including the family. Our People was written by Nissen Mindel, who chose that pseudonym to honor his father. The Rebbe was obviously involved insofar as his being the director of Kehos, but there is no record of direct editing by the Rebbe.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2008, 01:10 AM   #9
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Thank you for the information.

As for what you wrote that there is no record of direct editing by the Rebbe, it seems from the article in the above link (post #3) that the Rebbe was directly involved with at least the Exodus map. As Michel Schwartz writes:
The Exodus chart was one of the earliest experiences I had with the Rebbe, and in those days, I did what the Rebbe instructed me to do.

Thanks again for your post. It's good to know. Have a gut voch.
Unread 06-22-2008, 01:43 AM   #10
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

That map may have been drawn originally for a booklet called 40 generations, if I recall correctly, or something along those lines. Notice his use of "for the Rebbe", not that the Rebbe edited it as part of someone else's book. If he had drawn it for Our People, it would have only been seen as part of the book as a whole. This can all be verified pretty easily, by seeing where this map was used first.

In general, the most reliable evidence is actual editing notes in the Rebbe's hand. Barring that, all testimony is suspect. People forget, exxagerate or even outright lie.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2008, 04:46 AM   #11
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittul
In general, the most reliable evidence is actual editing notes in the Rebbe's hand. Barring that, all testimony is suspect. People forget, exxagerate or even outright lie.
SpellCheck at work: exaggerate

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
Eltere Chossid

I have heard that the following people were involved: the Frierdiker Rebbe, the Rebbe, Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka(-i also heard that she wrote many of the "In Nature's Wonderland"'s for the Talks and Shemuessen-)and R' Nissan Mindel.
Eltere Chossid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #13
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

In Nature's Wonderland was written by R' Nissan Mindel's wife (or perhaps both of them). The alleged involvement of the Rebbetzin is an old myth.
Unread 04-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
Maskil
Silver Member

I had been told that the author ("Jacob Isaacs") was Gershon Kranzler.

I was also told that a pseudonym was used because it was originally contemplated that the series would be a collaborative effort. When that turned out not to be the case, they decided to keep the name.
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #15
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
In Nature's Wonderland was written by R' Nissan Mindel's wife (or perhaps both of them). The alleged involvement of the Rebbetzin is an old myth.
The story goes that someone told Reb Mindel that the In Nature's Wonderland articles were really well done (or asked who wrote them) and Rav Mindel said "The Rebbetzin wrote them" referring to his own rebbetzin (his wife). Hence the misunderstanding...

The response, unlike most Rebbetzins I know, proceeded to grow a beard.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #16
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Yes, I know that story.
Unread 04-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #17
Avrami87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltere Chossid View Post
I have heard that the following people were involved: the Frierdiker Rebbe, the Rebbe, Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka(-i also heard that she wrote many of the "In Nature's Wonderland"'s for the Talks and Shemuessen-)and R' Nissan Mindel.
This is a common misconception. When asked who helps him write the nature articles, Mindel answered "The Rebbitzen" referring to his wife. I heard this from Rabbi Sholom Ber Shapiro of Crown Heights (the son-in-law of Rabbi Dr. Mindel).
Unread 04-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #18
Avrami87

Rabbi Mengel wrote the last two volumes of Our People. He told me so himself.
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #19
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrami87 View Post
This is a common misconception. When asked who helps him write the nature articles, Mindel answered "The Rebbitzen" referring to his wife. I heard this from Rabbi Sholom Ber Shapiro of Crown Heights (the son-in-law of Rabbi Dr. Mindel).
This story was mentioned several posts back.