Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Farbrengen

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 02-18-2009, 04:55 AM   #76
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul View Post
Can someone clarify how the farbrengens were in 770 with the Rebbe. What was the seder of the farbrengens?
There were farbrengens in the week (Yud Tes Kislev etc.) and farbrengens on Shabbos and Yom Tov.

In the week, people would be at their places maybe a half hour beforehand (if I remember correctly). The farbrengens usually started 9:30 p.m., and usually they were on the night which followed the day of celebration. (So if Yud Tes Kislev was on Wednesday, the Farbrengen started Wednesday night.)

There would be a signal from someone that the Rebbe was coming, and the place became quiet. You could hear a pin drop. The Rebbe walked through an aisle between the foot of the bleachers (of the west wall) and the first row of people standing next to the bleachers. He went up the stairs of the stage, turned to his left, and proceeded quickly to his seat.
Sometimes I think there was singing when the Rebbe walked in.

The Rebbe took some cake, then drank a bit of wine, said lechaim, drank a bit more wine, then looked around and said lechaim to people while the singing went on.

After 3-5 minutes, the Rebbe started to speak, perhaps for a half hour or more. Then there was singing again with the Rebbe saying Lechayim again to people. Then the Rebbe would speak again, then a pause for singing, and so on.

I think it lasted maybe 5-7 hours. Often the Rebbe motioned with his face (up and down) or with his hand, and the singing became very lively.

On Shabbos the farbrengen usually started 1:30 p.m. I think that after the Rebbetzin passed away, there was a farbrengen every Shabbos. Before that, there was a farbrengen every Shabbos Mevorchim, and sometimes other Shabbosim. (The gabai made announcements after Shacharis, and when it came time to announce Mincha, he paused and looked at the Rebbe. If the Rebbe waited for the announcement, then there was no farbrengen, and the gabai announced Mincha. But if the Rebbe started to walk out, then everyone knew that there would be a farbrengen, and Mincha took place after the farbrengen.)

On Shabbos the Rebbe walked in and made kiddush. He sat down while making kiddush, and he lifted himself up a bit at one point. (Maybe when he said "al kein...").
Then he ate some cake. Then the farbrengen continued as described above. I think that it was usually two sichos on the parsha, perhaps a maamar, then questions on a Rashi and Lekutei levi Yitzchok and (in the Pirkei Ovos season) Pirkei Ovos. And the next sicha he answered the questions. I think that this order of sichos varied at times.

I think that the Shabbos farbrengens lasted from 3 hours to longer.
On Shabbos it is was sometimes harder to hear the Rebbe, especially for the people (mostly bochurim) who were standing on the side bleachers. If I remember correctly, it became more difficult to hear during the later years.

On Yom Tov everyone washed for chalah before shkiya of the last day of Yom Tov. After the farbrengen there was kois shel brocho.
Sometimes Yom Tov had a farbrengen not just on the last day.

When the Rebbe came in, he asked if everyone had washed for challah. A few people rushed out to wash.
The Rebbe washed by his seat (the shisel was held for him).

On Simchas Torah there was tremendous simcha, especially during the hakofos (1st and 7th) that the Rebbe danced with the Rashag (the Rebbe's brother-in-law). The Rebbe and the Rashag stopped in the middle of the shul. They each held a small Torah. The Rebbe switched the Torah from his right hand to his left, then he put his right arm on the Rashag's right arm, and as they slowy started to dance in a circle, everyone started to sing the hakofos nigun. It was absolutely awesome. The Rebbe moved his head vigorously up and down, and the people on bleachers sang and moved up and down with the Rebbe. The feeling was very powerful.
Then, after maybe 2 minutes or so, the Rebbe suddenly stopped, and the Rashag was holding tightly to the Rebbe's arm. People came to help the Rashag.
I think that in later years they sang the nigun of the Rebbe's father for the Rebbe's hakofo.

If I remember correctly, the seder of Shmini Atzeres and Simchas Torah was like this: The first night (leil Shmini Atzeres) there were hakofos. The next day many people walked to Flatbush and other areas to dance Hakofos in other shuls, to be mesameach Yidden. Then we walked back to 770, where the Rebbe was in the middle of a farbrengen. The Rebbe waited till all the bochurim had returned; then the farbrengen stopped and the shul emptied to prepare for hakofos. The hakofos lasted for many hours, and it was very freilich. The Israeli consulate came to the Rebbe (I think that it was chol for Israelis) and the Rebbe often talked to them for awhile. He honored them with a hakofo and, like by the other hakofos (between the 1st and 7th) the Rebbe watched and clapped very vigorously. It was very simchadik.
The next day everyone washed before shkiya and the Rebbe farbrenged, (as described above under Yom Tov farbrengens).

I should point out that the above is just a brief outline, and doesn't do justice to the actual experience. May we all experience it very soon.
emes m'eretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #77
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahidelaws View Post
Thanks for making me feel like chopped liver.
I learned for many years in a Yeshiva which was distant from Crown Heights. We went to New York for certain farbrengens, and for Tishrei.

Many of the bochurim wanted very much to switch yeshivas and go to New York, so that they could be near the Rebbe. But for various reasons, they weren't able to do this until later on.

I remember then hearing the vort, I don't remember if it was from a mashpia or just the bochurim talking, that there is an advantage in an out of town Yeshiva. Because of the gaguim, the longing and yearning to be with the Rebbe. And this adds a passion in the avoida, and is an advantage over those who live in Crown Heights and have the Rebbe constantly there.

So although I may have a certain advantage having been by the Rebbe, but I think that the new generation has an advantage over me, that their yearning can create a passionate avoida, becheila yatir (with even more strength).
Unread 03-04-2009, 11:08 PM   #78
baghdadibachur

Look...
When you live like I do, you'll understand. I'm in the american military. The vast majority of the week I am with goyim. Believe me they are good people too, but they don't share so much in common with us spiritual and culturally. So you can imagine the kind of heat I take for being frum let alone Jewish. So when it comes to a Farbrengen Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, yomim tovim...you name it I benefit from it. It's like mentioned... you have to go in as an empty Keili, ready to recieve what ever is there. The farbrengen is ment to strengthen the yid. Especially in an environment where there is a lot of pressure on you and it is very easy to give in.
baghdadibachur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #79
emes m'eretz
Diamond Member

That's a strong reason for a farbrengen.
Besurois toivois.
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #80
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

How do you keep kosher?

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #81
baghdadibachur

Kosher in the American Military

I try to eat meat only on weekends as that is the only time that I get to be in a Jewish community. It is hard during the week because so many of my Marines want me to go out to eat with them or to eat what they cook at get togethers. My schul did send me lots of LaBriute while I was in Iraq.
Unread 03-11-2009, 02:47 AM   #82
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Good for you. Just so you know- although meat is definitely a biggie, there are other parts to kosher, as well.

Unread 03-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #83
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorthinker View Post
Good for you. Just so you know- although meat is definitely a biggie, there are other parts to kosher, as well.
ashgacha protis, you can go shlichus to Irak, and set up a Chabad House and provide kosher food
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #84
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

What does Iraq have to do with anything?

And no thanks....

Unread 03-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #85
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

it's very easy to live in EY, or America and talk about kosher

bachur bagdadi is from IRAq
Unread 03-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #86
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Ah, true. But I thought he said he was in the American army? In which case, he's no longer in Iraq- he was. Vd"l.

Unread 03-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #87
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Quote:
he said he was in the American army? In which case, he's no longer in Iraq- he was
The American army is still in Iraq, and will still be in Iraq for the forseeable future. Obama is talking about withdrawing combat troups over the next 16 months, not withdrawing everybody tomorrow.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #88
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member

Also, Bagdad apparently is in charge of Marine, which would put him in the Marines, rather than the Army.
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #89
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baghdadibachur View Post
.... while I was in Iraq.
Could be the Marines. But if he said, "while I was in Iraq", then obviously, he isn't there now.

Unread 03-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #90
baghdadibachur

I'm in the US Marines for clarification.
Unread 03-16-2009, 02:18 AM   #91
baghdadibachur

for further clarification.

I also returned from Iraq maybe a month or so ago. The reason why I take the name Baghdadi Bachur is because most of my family ( even the algerian side ) follow the Minhagim of the Ben Ish Chai. ( Yosef Chaim AlBaghdadi )
Unread 03-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #92
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

I Thaught that you were from Iraq
Unread 03-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #93
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

....because you weren't listening to what he was saying.

Unread 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #94
benyehudao
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baghdadibachur View Post
I also returned from Iraq maybe a month or so ago. The reason why I take the name Baghdadi Bachur is because most of my family ( even the algerian side ) follow the Minhagim of the Ben Ish Chai. ( Yosef Chaim AlBaghdadi )
algerie, maroc, tunisie = emet. we are having maybe marocain here - look like you are algerien and i am from tunisie my parents from djerba i born tunis go france very young.
benyehudao is offline   Reply With Quote