Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Lubavitch > Farbrengen

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 04-14-2004, 10:12 PM   #1
iamachassid
Diamond Member

inspirational stories

I need a good story, a bit unusual. It could be from gemara, jewish history, besht or other chassidishe rabbeim our rebbe, with a good lesson. Thank you!
Unread 04-14-2004, 10:16 PM   #2
mordechai7215
Diamond Member

what kind of lesson? never tell a lie, ahavas yisroel, bitichon in hashem etc?
mordechai7215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
iamachassid
Diamond Member

anything
Unread 04-15-2004, 12:27 AM   #4
hishtatchus
Senior Diamond Member

How about the one with Reb Zalman Zezmer and the doorway facing east?
Lesson: Hiskashrus
hishtatchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2004, 11:44 AM   #5
iamachassid
Diamond Member

care to elaborate?
I'm thinking of one where a man came from Europe to the goldeneh medina and he found out it wasn't so golden. After a few years he was destitute and he was too embarrased to keep in touch with his family, who he was supposed to bring over. Once someone saw him picking through the garbage for food and suggested he go to the Lubavitcher Rebbe. He went to the Rebbe and with his head down he told the Rebbe his whole long, sad story, ending with having to pick through the garbage for food. When he was done speaking he felt that it must have been a waste of time, the Rebbe is an old man, he probably fell asleep. He looked up and he saw the Rebbe looking at him wiht tears streaming down his face.
I'm just not sure if this story is long and exciting enough and one of the people I have to share the story with may have heard it already, from me or the person I told it to.
Unread 04-15-2004, 02:43 PM   #6
mordechai7215
Diamond Member

I'l tell you my two favorite, both with the FR.
The first one is that there were bachurim in EY on mivtzoim, they found an an old Russain and asked him to put on tefillin. He asked who sent them, and when they said the Lubavitcher Rebbe he said "Ha, you think you know Lubavitch, I know Lubavitch."
It turns out that he was a Lubavitcher in his youth, and when the Friedeke Rebbe left Russia he told all of the chassidim that they would see eacher other again. That night there was a big Farbrengen amongst the remaining chassidim, and a Machlokes broke out (much like on this board). Some chassidim claimed that the FR had meant that they would see each other again b'gashmius c'pshuto. The other group said that the FR didn't mean b'gashmius, that isntead they would learn his torah and chassidus, and that's how they'd see again. At the end of Farbrengen those that said the FR mean c'pshuto put their chairs on the floor and made a train going to the Rebbe.
The old man concluded "I stood by with the others and laughed, but those that were on the "train" all got out after WWII and saw the FR, as for us, we didn't get out untill know (after USSR fell)

The second is with R"C Marozov's daughter. After R"C was killed, HY"D, one of his daughters went off the derech, r"l and became involved with the Zionists. A few years back (I'm not sure how many) she needed to go for an operation. The operation was small and easy, but if the problem wasn't treated then it could worsen. Despite the nature of the surgery she refused repeatedly, her children were at loss to convince her. Then one day, out of the blue and to the mystery of her family, she agreed. After the surgery she called her sister, who had remained frum, and told her about the whole operation. When her sister asked her why she had suddenly chnaged her mind, she said
"You'll understand, but my family wouldn't."
One night she had a dream about a past experiance in Russia. She and another group of children were in shul, and were playing a game. They split up into two teams, boys and girls, and each took turns jumping off one table and on to another, each time widening the gap. When it was her turn she stood there frozen, afraid to take the leap. Just then the FR walked in and saw what was going on. He held out his hand and said "If I help you you'll jump?" she agreed, and with the FR's help she made it across. After the dream she decided to take the surgery.
Unread 04-15-2004, 03:07 PM   #7
iamachassid
Diamond Member

wow! The first one is also one of my favorites. I heard that on their "choo-choo train" they were singing Teire brider and I think of that story every time I sing the nigun.
Unread 04-16-2004, 03:28 PM   #8
iamachassid
Diamond Member

in the dream or in the actual experience the F"R helped her accross?
Unread 04-16-2004, 04:04 PM   #9
mordechai7215
Diamond Member

I think the dream was of an actual experience.
Unread 05-31-2005, 06:27 PM   #10
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

Or maybe the dream was, in and of itself, an actual experience.

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 06:37 PM   #11
believer
Executive Member

There was a man who was driving, and out of nowhere he saw the picture of the Rebbe holding his hand up like "stop", so the man stopped, even though it was a green light infront of him, and everyone started honking. Suddenly, when he was supposed to be going through the intersection, a car went zooming through their red light and wouldve hit him if he didnt stop
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 06:41 PM   #12
believer
Executive Member

There were 2 chassidim standing outside the yechidus room waiting for their turn, and they were discussing how would moshiach come; would he come right away out of the blue or would it take awhile? and right after they fnished discussing it, the Rebbe opened the door and said "Just like that"
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 08:40 PM   #13
Aaronke
Silver Member

i KNOW A DUDE THAT WAS LIKE REALY FRY AND STUFF, AND THE REBBE STARED AT HIM AND FROM THAT DAY ON HE'S LIKE FRUM FOR REAL! NEVER MISSED A DAY OF TEFFILIN FROM THEN ON.
Aaronke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2006, 03:43 AM   #14
drAydel

That's an awesome story believer! Kinda scary.

and mordechai, that first one takes the cake
drAydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #15
DW Duke
Diamond Member

Three Visits from Elijah

Here is a story I have always liked.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article.asp?AID=1986

Last edited by DW Duke; 02-10-2006 at 10:56 AM.
DW Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2006, 01:08 PM   #16
ykh
Executive Member

OK, here is my first message on this forum.
I heard this one from rabbi Halperin, who lives in Crown Heights. The story is without beginning and end. He heard it from one of teh witnesses of that episode.
This worthy gentleman was one of the distinguished personalities who sat behind the Rebbe on the podium during farbrengens. So in earlier years there were not so many people and it was easier to trace what is going on and the whole atmosphere was, I guess, somewhat less formal.
So a farbrengen is taking place and here enter some kind of obviously non-religious guy, who just put a kippah at the entrance, and upon seeing him Rebbe waves to him, makes inviting gesture, and the guy is brought to the Rebbe's table and sits by his side. And the chossid behind them hears a little bit of what is talked about and it something like this:
Rebbe: Nu, ho things now with you?
Guy: Oh, thank you Rebbe, all is fine, thank you!
Rebbe: And did you do what I asked you to do?
Guy: Oh, I am sorry, Rebbe, you know, it just did not work out.
Rebbe: But you promised!
Guy: Yeah, but you know, well, you know...
Rebbe: But you promised!
And this goes couple more times, then the Rebbe says:
-But I put my Olam Habo on line for you!
Guy: Oh yeah, but you know, it just did not work...

That was all.
When the chossid was going out from farbrengen he, obviously, was quite shaken, and he even was not sure he heard right, and he noticed another chossid, who was sitting there also, and the face of that other chossid was showing that he was almost out of his mind, so the first one approached him and hesitantly asked: "Did you hear?" And the other one answered "Yes, I did", and they did not say a word after that to each other. (Obviously, that chossid told the story later.)
ykh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2006, 04:43 PM   #17
Majorthinker
Executive Diamond Member

ouch! and kal v'chomer (or maybe not kal v'chomer, but still)..........

הוי כתלמידיו של אהרן הכהן!
Majorthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #18
observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer View Post
There were 2 chassidim standing outside the yechidus room waiting for their turn, and they were discussing how would moshiach come; would he come right away out of the blue or would it take awhile? and right after they fnished discussing it, the Rebbe opened the door and said "Just like that"
Sounds interesting. where did you hear it?
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #19
ykh
Executive Member

Couple more stories (heard from r.Noson Gurary of Buffalo).
Short time after the Frierdiker Rebbe became Rebbe, he called in one bochur and told him: My Father says you should stop bothering him with narishkeit. (It appears the bochur was going to the kever of the Rebbe Rashab and leaving there request for a brocho, when his (this bochur's) time will come after 120 years, to be buried in close proximity to th Rebbe Rashab's kever.)

Another story:
One bochur asked at yechidus (in early years of the Rebbe's nesiyus), how he can have better hiskashrus, to which the Rebe said something like this:
- When you eat, you put salt into your food to make it taste better, what hiskashrus are you talking about?!
ykh is offline   Reply With Quote