Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Torah > Seforim & Personalities

Unread 04-15-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

Noam Elimelech

This story was posted here:

Quote:
There is a story about Rabbi Shneur Zalman of Liadi the founder of Chabad Hassidism that he once said “My sefer Tanya is also called “sefer shel beynonim” a book for the average Jew. But the sefer Noam Elimelech is a “sefer shel Tzadikim” a book for the righteous.
Does anyone know this story's origin?
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 02:13 AM   #2
couldntbe

i don't know about the above story, but it is accepted that the Alter Rebbe in addition to writing a sefer for beinunim wrote a sefer for tzaddikim, which the Shpoler Zeide Requested that he should burn......
couldntbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahidelaws View Post
This story was posted here:

Does anyone know this story's origin?
I have never heard that in terms of one-upsmanship. But it is fairly accepted amongst non-Chabad Chassidim that Noam Elimelech is the "Sefer Shel Tzaddikim." I heard from a Breslaver that Likkutei Mohara''n is the Sefer Shel Reshoim, for what that's worth.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2008, 02:10 AM   #4
a tomim

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntbe View Post
i don't know about the above story, but it is accepted that the Alter Rebbe in addition to writing a sefer for beinunim wrote a sefer for tzaddikim, which the Shpoler Zeide Requested that he should burn......
I believe I heard he said something like, he will go up in flames together with the Sefer shel Tzadikim, and he passed away on the same day that it got burned...
a tomim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2008, 02:28 AM   #5
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

This story makes no sense, as others noted above; the Alter Rebbe actually wrote a Sefer shel Tzadikim.

In addition, Noam Elimelech (as other early seforim of Talmidei HaBesht and Maggid) is a pirush on Torah, not specifically a Sefer of the new Derech of Chasidus.
Bittul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Whether the Alter Rebbe wrote a Sefer Shel Tzaddikim had nothing to do with whether Noam Elimelech is called Sefer Shel Tzaddikim. If you learn the sefer, you'll see that it presents a cohesive derech, not disconnected droshos on the parashah. He was one of the first generation of Chassidic Rebbeim, like the Alter Rebbe. So it makes sense that his sefer describes a novel derech in avodas Hashem, much like the Alter Rebbe's sefer.
Unread 04-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

If you insist.
Unread 04-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

I do.
Unread 04-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Noam Elimelech is a peirush al Hatorah, like Likutei Torah is a peirush al Hatorah.
NE contains the yesodos of a derech in Chassidus - though not Chabad.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah613 View Post
Noam Elimelech is a peirush al Hatorah, like Likutei Torah is a peirush al Hatorah.
NE contains the yesodos of a derech in Chassidus - though not Chabad.
That about sums it up.
Unread 04-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
Bittul
Executive Diamond Member

If you both insist.
Unread 04-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #12
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

Nu nu...
Unread 04-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #13
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

It might be a slightly different inyan, but l'hoi'ir that the Rebbe here differentiates between sifrei Chabad, which speak about gadlus Hashem, and sifrei Chagas, which are good pirushum al haTorah.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2008, 12:16 AM   #14
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahidelaws View Post
It might be a slightly different inyan, but l'hoi'ir that the Rebbe here differentiates between sifrei Chabad, which speak about gadlus Hashem, and sifrei Chagas, which are good pirushum al haTorah.
A. That is a bit off the subject.

B. Consider the source: Beis Moshiach magazine has a tendency to exaggerate...

C. The story does not help unless the seforim are named. Noam Elimelech is a pretty deep sefer. It isn't just a perush on the Torah. I doubt anyone who had learned it would characterize it that way.
Unread 04-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #15
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!

The same thing can be said about Likutei Sichos...
Unread 10-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #16
elimelech

Noam Elimelech

Have a look at http://www.chassidusonline.com/RayatzHaskama.jpg here is a haskama from the Rebbe Rayatz to Noam Elimelech, he calls it a segulah for Mishmeres and Hatzlacha - safeguarding and success and even more surprising he says quote "just as all the seforim hakedoishim from our holy rabbis" so he actually equates it on the same level as other holy seforim from the chabad rabbis! He also recommended that one add a short biography as well as stories to the sefer.
elimelech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #17
Yingeleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimelech View Post
here is a haskama from the Rebbe Rayatz to Noam Elimelech...
It's a letter to someone involved in the printing, not a haskoma to R' Elimelech.
Yingeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #18
elimelech

It is a haskama to the Sefer Noam Elimelech and it describes the sefer as a segula for protection and success as are all the seforim from our holy rabbis. Sounds like a haskama to me.
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #19
mvakeshet

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntbe View Post
I know this is a bit off topic, but recently a jewish publication for children printed a serialized cartoon on the back of there magazine about a story involving a manuscript that the Alter Rebbe wrote as an eight year old. According to them, he was summoned to the beis din shel maalah in a dream by Rashi and other Rishonim who told him that if he was to publish his sefer, people would stop learning their peirushim on the Torah...

I was intrigued by this account. Has anyone heard of this before? Is it a well known story amongst Lubavitchers that I'm simply not aware of?
mvakeshet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #20
Yingeleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimelech View Post
It is a haskama to the Sefer Noam Elimelech and it describes the sefer as a segula for protection and success as are all the seforim from our holy rabbis. Sounds like a haskama to me.
B'derech shita the Rebbeim didn't right haskomois. There have been exceptions, but this isn't one of them. Sorry...
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #21
elimelech

? You mean you think its a forgery? I dont understand
Unread 10-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #22
Yingeleh

Forgery, no. A letter encouraging him in the work he's doing - even bringing out the maalah of the sefer, yes. But a haskoma, it surely isn't.

There are several letters from the Rebbe where he says that it's not the way of the Rebbeim to give haskamois. The only exception I've seen is in regard to the translation of the Zohar into LH"K from Y.R. There, in the opening of the sefer it bears a haskoma from the R"R.
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #23
elimelech

OK what to you, is the difference between a letter of encouragement printed in the front of Noam Elimelech as this was, to a Haskama? Most of todays "haskamas" are just that letters of encouragment to the printer, which either praise the sefer or the author or both.
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #24
Smirnoff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingeleh View Post
the only exception i've seen is in regard to the translation of the zohar into lh"k from y.r. There, in the opening of the sefer it bears a haskoma from the r"r.
ראיתי בס' הנ"ל ומצאתי שם בין כל הסכמות לספרו מכתב מאת כ"ק אדמו"ר מוהרש"ב נ"ע (א' שמות ה'תרס"ו) , וכ' בז"ל: "החיים והשלום וכט"ס לכבוד לכבוד הרה"ג המפורסם וכו' מוה"ר יהודא נ"י. יקבל נא בזה כתה"ר בעד ספרו "זהר התורה" חלק בראשית סך... אשר נשלח אליו מאת כ"ק אדמו"ר הרה"ק שליט"א בתשואת חן ובברכת על המוגמר בקרוב. – הכותב בפקודת הקודש. מקום החותם...". ודבר ברור הוא שאין זה הסכמה כלל. וכלשון הרבי באג"ק ח"ה בהע' בשולי הגליון: "בין "ההסכמות ומכתבי תודה" שבתחילתו נדפס אישור ממזכירו של כ"ק אדמו"ר מוהרש"ב נ"ע על קבלת הספר." [הדגש אינו בהמקור]. וראה גם בהוספות ללקו"ש ח"כב עמ' 327. ועד"ז ראינו שבכמה מכתבים כ' הרבי, אבל בלא לשון של הסכמה: "בנועם קבלתי את הספר כו', ות"ח ת"ח..." כו

עכ"פ, ידוע במנהג בית הרב שלא לתת הסכמות בס' וחוברות. וראה אג"ק ח"ח לאדמו"ר מוהריי"צ עמ' שפד, אג"ק אדמו"ר הקודם חלק יד עמ' רמ, אג"ק ח"ו דנשיא דורנו עמ' שלה, אג"ק דנ"ד ח"ח עמ' רפג, חל' טו עמ' קלה ועמ' שצג, ח' יא עמ' רפד ועמ' רצו, ח' כא עמ' תכו, ח' כז דאג"ק עמ' תכז, ועוד. כו
Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote