Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Chinuch

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 11-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #276
Avrami87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 183
to continue checking in with the Mashpiah as the program unfolds to see that things a

What do you mean?
__________________
What fatality prompted him to marry?! - Solzhenitsyn
Avrami87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #277
Avrami87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 183
to continue checking in with the Mashpiah as the program unfolds to see that things are going the way they should.

What do you mean?
__________________
What fatality prompted him to marry?! - Solzhenitsyn
Avrami87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #278
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,699
Who is your mahpia?
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 01:50 AM   #279
existwhere?
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 690
One can get permission to do many things. That doesn't mean that they are the right thing to do.
But that doesn't mean they are the wrong thing to do either. It all depends on your yiras shamayim and why YOU are doing it.
existwhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 03:54 AM   #280
Avrami87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by chossidnistar View Post
Who is your mahpia?
Is it really any of your business.
__________________
What fatality prompted him to marry?! - Solzhenitsyn
Avrami87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 03:58 AM   #281
Avrami87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 183
One can get permission to do many things. That doesn't mean that they are the right thing to do.


If one was going to do whatever they wanted why would they ask?

Didn't the Lubavitcher Rebbe say Motzei Shabbos Terumah 1988 that people should take steps to prepare for when he passes away?

And wasn't one of those things to appoint for oneself a Mashpia, to ask advice and direction in the place of the Lubavitcher Rebbe?
__________________
What fatality prompted him to marry?! - Solzhenitsyn
Avrami87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #282
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,699
http://collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=5941&hl=university
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #283
Avrami87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 183
In general the ******ian/ Catholic schools also accept smicha. Practically all Law Schools do to.(However that's nothing new.)
__________________
What fatality prompted him to marry?! - Solzhenitsyn
Avrami87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #284
Avrami87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 183
I know of a newly married man who in his essay to a State law school, played the card that the Lubavitch community considers young Lubavitchers which go to Graduate School to be deviants etc..

He was accepted.
Despite the fact that he went to OHOLEI TORAH from his infancy.
__________________
What fatality prompted him to marry?! - Solzhenitsyn
Avrami87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #285
existwhere?
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrami87 View Post
One can get permission to do many things. That doesn't mean that they are the right thing to do.


If one was going to do whatever they wanted why would they ask?
Because it makes them feel better about it. Nowadays it is fair to say most mashpiim don't have ruach hakodesh. One can ask the question in such a way so as to make the mashpia say that going to college is the right thing for you to do, and one can ask it in a way that will make the mashpia say not to go to college. The person who asks has to ask it in the right way, giving a complete picture.

So a person may ask in order to do what they want, but it is not right.
Quote:
Didn't the Lubavitcher Rebbe say Motzei Shabbos Terumah 1988 that people should take steps to prepare for when he passes away?

And wasn't one of those things to appoint for oneself a Mashpia, to ask advice and direction in the place of the Lubavitcher Rebbe?
I wasn't there and don't know.

And so? Even without that, we all need a personal moreh derech.
But just because someone says something, doesn't make it so.
existwhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #286
Avrami87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 183
One can ask the question in such a way so as to make the mashpia say that going to college is the right thing for you to do, and one can ask it in a way that will make the mashpia say not to go to college. The person who asks has to ask it in the right way, giving a complete picture.


Isn't a personal mashpia supposed to know everything about the mushpa?

Aren't we supposed to be open about every detail of our lives with our mashpia?

If the two parties have an open and frank discussion regarding the matter at hand, your point is not valid.
Avrami87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #287
MahTovChelkeinu
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,142
I don't understand where this is supposed to be going... what is your question?

Why does a person ask a mashpiah a question?
MahTovChelkeinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #288
Avrami87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 183
The premise is:

1. Chassidim ask their Rebbe for guidance.
2. The Rebbe passes on the guidance role to others (for whatever reason)
3. The individual asks the appointed (AGU"CH, MASHPIIM, ROV)
4. The Individual lives his life according to the advise he/she receives

Now if a Chossid Believes that in order for him/her to have a career, [(for whatever reason) it's not relevant right now] and speaks to his mashpia, rov then whatever decision is reached. IT IS BINDING AS IF IT CAME FROM THE REBBE HIMSELF.

It goes without saying that all factors of life are invloved in the decision making process of the mashpia, rov.
Avrami87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #289
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrami87 View Post



Aren't we supposed to be open about every detail of our lives with our mashpia?

.
I don't think so
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #290
Avrami87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 183
Then how can he/she make the right decision for you?
Avrami87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #291
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member
 
Meshulam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrami87 View Post
Now if a Chossid Believes that in order for him/her to have a career, [(for whatever reason) it's not relevant right now] and speaks to his mashpia, rov then whatever decision is reached. IT IS BINDING AS IF IT CAME FROM THE REBBE HIMSELF.
This conversation has been had many times on this forum. No need to start yet another conversation about it (let alone 2).

Suffice it to say: you are wrong.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #292
Avrami87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 183
At least give me sources.
Avrami87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #293
Torah613
ChabadTalk.com Elder!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 11,716
If one gives his mashpia/rav/moreh derech incomplete/misleading/false information, then the advice he receives is no better than the information he gave. In addition, if the "mashpiah" is not someone worthy of the title (and tese days - there are plenty like that...), then his advice is not worthy of serious consideration.

Most personal mashpi'im do not know "everything" about the fellow asking them guidance, nor would I expect them to. There has to be the basic honesty on the part of the one asking advice (in addition to asking the right person who is qualified etc. etc.).

The Rebbe would also say, that advice/brochos etc. given by him was dependant on the honest information given to him by the writer, and if that basic honesty was lacking, the Rebbe's advice/brocho for a certain action was null and void.
Torah613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #294
Gevurah
Executive Diamond Member
 
Gevurah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,052
for the money or glory ? for which reason in Perek 8?
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #295
existwhere?
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrami87 View Post
The premise is:

1. Chassidim ask their Rebbe for guidance.
2. The Rebbe passes on the guidance role to others (for whatever reason)
3. The individual asks the appointed (AGU"CH, MASHPIIM, ROV)
4. The Individual lives his life according to the advise he/she receives

Now if a Chossid Believes that in order for him/her to have a career, [(for whatever reason) it's not relevant right now] and speaks to his mashpia, rov then whatever decision is reached. IT IS BINDING AS IF IT CAME FROM THE REBBE HIMSELF.

It goes without saying that all factors of life are invloved in the decision making process of the mashpia, rov.
see- the Chossid didn't ask the Rebbe for guidance. The Chossid decided that they should have a career, then asked the mashpia for advice. They did not first ask the mashpia for advice about whether to have a career, and then either have a career or not have a career.

Thank you Torah613 for your informative post.
existwhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #296
Avrami87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 183
It's quite understandable how "Friends of Lubavitch" is having such success.

Like I mentioned elsewhere. What is the Lubavitcher Rebbe's "Shita"?
__________________
What fatality prompted him to marry?! - Solzhenitsyn
Avrami87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 12:42 AM   #297
Avrami87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 183
The Chossid decided that they should have a career,


Everyone decides that they have to make ends meet?

Through having a permanent occupation it's a lot easier and less stressful to balance a budget.

It's also easier to make that personal mark in this world however small it might be. (Hopefully in the most productive way possible, by using their strengths, and working in places which reveal their good qualities.)
__________________
What fatality prompted him to marry?! - Solzhenitsyn
Avrami87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #298
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member
 
Meshulam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,427
This post comes from
http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/show...t=10535&page=3

So there are plenty of other threads that discuss this issue. Please feel free to use the search function.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #299
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member
 
Meshulam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,427
http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/show...1&postcount=10

Here, I brought some mokoros from the Rebbe about secular studies in general.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #300
Meshulam
Senior Diamond Member
 
Meshulam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,427
And here is the Rebbe himself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rebbe, LS 15 Noach
...the question of studying at college or university and the like which are an isur chamur (serious prohibition) and danger (and danger is more serious than an isur) - since the entire atmosphere and hashkafa of the "dalet amos" of these places (in these institutions in our times) are instilled with kefira (heresy) in the hashgacha pratis (Divine Providence) of Hashem, that there is no thing or power that can mix into the ways of the world and its laws (to the point that this is taken for granted (and needs no proof) and is the foundation for everything that is learned, which doesn't need to be mentioned explicitly) - and in a large portion of them, meenus and idolatry are taught etc.

"and in the vast majority of them - there are no boundaries for shame and tznius, to the point that they mock those who take this into consideration, and on the contrary, the more licentious one is, the greater one is etc.

"the terrible situation on campuses, dormitories, places to hang-out etc. is well known - and there's no need to go on at length about something so shocking in general, and something so frightening in particular.

"as far as the famous "claim" that he (or she) won't be harmed and will withstand the test etc. - the simple answer is also famous, that even a tzadik gamur on the last day of his 120 years on earth, at the beginning of the day, and before davening, asks Hashem, "don't test me," ..."
I have cut and pasted that quote numerous times from another, more senior, poster's post many years ago. I believe that even at that time, this subject had been discussed before here. Rather than have the same conversation 15 or more times, read the posts in the other threads, and add to them.
Meshulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open Your Eyes Jude Moshiach 177 05-01-2016 05:12 AM
The Rebbe's University Education Yankel Nosson The Rebbe’s Talks & Writings 47 04-13-2010 05:07 PM
Modern Orthodoxy Jude Hashkafah 133 02-17-2010 10:02 AM
Messiah Indifference by David Berger endee Book Reviews 413 05-09-2006 08:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2016 ChabadTalk.com