Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk  

Go Back   Jewish Forum & Discussions - Chabad Talk > Torah and Judaism > Yiddishkeit > Hashkafah

Unread 11-22-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
mvakeshet

sacred relationships

I once heard a popular author and speaker who is not chabad (or any chassidus, for that matter) but often draws upon chassidus make this (sweeping) hashkafic statement:

Only relationships are [ultimately] sacred.

It got me thinking about its validity, and now, several years later, I still am.

I got the "ultimately" part from the context. I understood it to mean that other things may appear sacred, but if they stand in the way of a relationship, the relationship takes priority.

Is there any basis to this statement? Any thoughts?
mvakeshet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
danzinger
Executive Member

In the Torah we have sacred land ( ), sacred moments ( ), sacred people ( ), sacred buildings ( ), to name but a few.
ultimately, our entire lives should be sacred - living .
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

, ,

And yes, there are many other things that are "holy."

And to be holy in whatever we do is the raison d'être of the Jewish people, as it is writen (Vayikro 19): * , - * -- -, -- :* ,
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvakeshet View Post
I once heard a popular author and speaker who is not chabad (or any chassidus, for that matter) but often draws upon chassidus make this (sweeping) hashkafic statement:

Only relationships are [ultimately] sacred.

It got me thinking about its validity, and now, several years later, I still am.

I got the "ultimately" part from the context. I understood it to mean that other things may appear sacred, but if they stand in the way of a relationship, the relationship takes priority.

Is there any basis to this statement? Any thoughts?
To which sort of "relationship" are you refering to? (relationship with your employee? With HaShem? Your spouse? Your children? With non-Jews? With your friends? etc.) Because to simply say that "all sorts of relationship are ultimately sacred", there is no need to be a genius to understand that this sentence (if it is what he meant) is an aberration.
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
noahidelaws
Executive Platinum Member

Ish v'isho zochu, shechinah sheruya beineihem. Even the relationship of marriage will only be sacred if you make it so.
noahidelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
mosheh5769
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvakeshet View Post
In the Torah, we are taught the Mitzvah of Kibud Av V'Eim, and it is stated that in fulfilling it, we will enjoy a long life in the Land G-d promised our forefathers to give us. We are taught that we should obey oor parents the same way we obey HaShem. And elsewhere in the Torah, it is stated that our enjoyment of a long and good life in EY is dependent on our faithfulness to HaShem (through Torah and Mitzvos). Hence, we can deduce that our obedience to our parents has a limit: as far as our parents do not order us something contrary to the Torah, we owe them a complete obedience.

Similarly, there are some who say that if you want to study Torah in a yeshivah (far from your home), but that your parents are opposed to that idea, you may disobey them, because nothing is greater than fulfilling the Will of our Creator.

Thus we see that there are cases where a relationship does not have priority over sacred things.
Unread 11-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
chossidnistar
Senior Diamond Member

relationship? intimate? friendly?family?
chossidnistar is offline   Reply With Quote